Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Mexico

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveT 
#1 ·
I'm heading off to Mexico for a week later this month. Staying at a resort just south of Cancun / Playa del Carmen in Akumal.
Anyone know if it is safe to ride a road bike in that area? Google map doesn't show much other than the main highway.
Thanks in advance!

#2 · (Edited)
Not familiar with that area but I live in La Ventana, Baja Sur and regularly ride on the local roads w/o any issues +/- 260 km/weekly. Do be aware that at least here in BCS the roads are chip seal, narrow and w/o shoulders. Sometimes they feature curbs to control water flow. The curbs are intimidating should one need to escape traffic for what ever reason.

I have found the locals to be very courteous and friendly. Only issues I've had has been a little incident with a dog which turfed me pretty good, leaving me off the bike for 3.5 weeks due to separated ribs/hip contusions. I do live in a very rural area so YMMV in a denser, resort type local.

#3 ·
Not familiar with that area but I live in Baja Sur and regularly ride on the local roads w/o any issues +/- 260 km/weekly. Do be aware that at least here in BCS the roads are chip seal, narrow and w/o shoulders. Sometimes they feature curbs to control water flow. The curbs are intimidating should one need to escape traffic for what ever reason.

I have found the locals to be very courteous and friendly. Only issues I've had has been a little incident with a dog which turfed me pretty good, leaving me off the bike for 2.5 weeks due to rib/hip contusions. I do live in a very rural area so YMMV in a denser, resort type local.
Where in BCS do you live? I'm in Los Barriles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.