Thread: Mexico

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Mexico

I'm heading off to Mexico for a week later this month. Staying at a resort just south of Cancun / Playa del Carmen in Akumal.
    Anyone know if it is safe to ride a road bike in that area? Google map doesn't show much other than the main highway.
    Thanks in advance!

Clydesdale Viejo
    Not familiar with that area but I live in La Ventana, Baja Sur and regularly ride on the local roads w/o any issues +/- 260 km/weekly. Do be aware that at least here in BCS the roads are chip seal, narrow and w/o shoulders. Sometimes they feature curbs to control water flow. The curbs are intimidating should one need to escape traffic for what ever reason.

I have found the locals to be very courteous and friendly. Only issues I've had has been a little incident with a dog which turfed me pretty good, leaving me off the bike for 3.5 weeks due to separated ribs/hip contusions. I do live in a very rural area so YMMV in a denser, resort type local.
    Last edited by wpod; 04-08-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    Not familiar with that area but I live in Baja Sur and regularly ride on the local roads w/o any issues +/- 260 km/weekly. Do be aware that at least here in BCS the roads are chip seal, narrow and w/o shoulders. Sometimes they feature curbs to control water flow. The curbs are intimidating should one need to escape traffic for what ever reason.

I have found the locals to be very courteous and friendly. Only issues I've had has been a little incident with a dog which turfed me pretty good, leaving me off the bike for 2.5 weeks due to rib/hip contusions. I do live in a very rural area so YMMV in a denser, resort type local.
    Where in BCS do you live? I'm in Los Barriles.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!