Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Focus!

37K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  SundayNiagara 
#1 ·
I didn't find a gallery thread for Focus bikes, so here it is.

Here's mine to start off with, a '13 Focus Izalco Pro 3, stock except for Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels and a Deda Zero1 stem. Wonderful bike.

Post 'em up!

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
"Weigh in" as far as pounds/Kilograms, or how they perform? I have SRAM Red/Force on either bike, with ~$350 wheelset on each, and they clock in at 16lbs-17lbs...my "cheaper" all SRAM Force bike has an aluminum seatpost, and may clock in closer to 18. Both feel significantly lighter, to both pick up and ride, than my steel Colnago with carbon fork...even the "heavy" one.

FWIW, as far as handling, under hard acceleration on flats, I find myself picking up the front wheel off of the ground when also pulling on the bars. This on the bike with the compact crank. With the standard crank, there is a local 100M, 5% hill that I grind up on the steel bike while in the big ring, but mostly use the 39T on the daily ride...I actually sprinted it in the big ring, with the standard cranked Focus, because I felt like I could, and felt fresher than I usually do at that point in the ride.

When I first rode the first Focus, the steering was twitchy as it had a really short stem, narrow bars, with the step and handlebars pointed "upwards". Once I got the correct size bars, flipped the stem and angled the bars properly, steering became much smoother, and it tracks really well through fast sharp corners. I finally became hooked when riding over some stretch of road where they are grinding up the street in order to repave. There are 1-2 inch "layers" of old road that are exposed, along with all the grind marks, and the Izalco just soaks it all up. I'm about 180lbs, and running tires at 98lbs rear/95lbs front. Riding over that section is bumpy, but not jarring.

#14 ·
Still no update on the Focus website. Looking at the Bikeradar article above I don't see any 2014 Focus road bikes with disc brakes, only Cross bikes. I think the Izalco Ergo would be a logical choice to add discs, similar to BMC adding them to their GranFondo line. Whether you need, or even like disc brakes on a road bike, I think the Focus brand will suffer without one to sell.

That being said, I won't be in the market for a bike anyway... still loving my Izalco Ergo.

#16 ·
I had a Madone 3.1 105 bike for about 2 years before i made the leap to a Focus. I wanted to go the SRAM route and ended up grabbing a 2012 Izalco Pro 2.0 last year.
To say its a different bike and feel than the Madone is an understatement.. Whether its mental and i am trying harder or it truly is the technology.. my average speed increased over 2 mph on my group rides.. Very fast, but the geometry is different and definitely more aggressive.
Had a pro fitting done and slapped some new 50mm Boyd clinchers on and man she flies.. much easier for me to maintain 20mph as opposed to my Madone.
I still get fired up looking at her hanging up on the wall.. heading out for a ride this evening :)

#19 ·
I'll start by saying I think across the internet and even on YouTube there aren't many reviews on Focus because Germans aren't known for cycle/bike engineering. Since Germans are more widely known for their automobiles and the brand not getting proper airtime it shadows the awesome abilities and qualities of Focus bikes. As us Focus owners know they are great bikes that are underrated and can run side by side with some of the other popular name; Bianchi, Pinarello, Orbea, De Rosa, and the list goes on.

My Focus Cayo 3.0 is my first ever really serious bike and first ever road bike. I didn't know the Focus brand until seeing the Focus FSL 5.0 mountain bike in an Italian shop. I wasn't really in the market for buying a bike, but I'd always had an interest in road riding so in October 2012 I decided to make the purchase. I really wanted the Cayo 2.0 which came standard with the Ultegra 6700 gruppo, but the only 2012 model left was the Cayo 3.0. I was so excited with the bike that I made a mistake by overdoing it on my very first ride. I rode about 82km which caused me soreness for 2-3 days; lesson learned the sore way. After about 800-900km I started to feel an urge to put my bike on a diet to get better performance, so I found myself ordering parts and spending money like I was insane. Well with all the money spent I can truly say that I have one bad azz Focus Cayo 3.0. Below are a list of the modifications that were made.

Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6700 from the Shimano 105
Brakes: FSA Energy
Crankset: FSA SL-K Light Compact 50/34 w/FSA Ceramic Bearing Kit
Stem: FSA OS-99 (carbon)
Handlebars: FSA K-Wing w/Integrated Cable Routing (carbon)
Bar Tape: Lizardskin DSP 3.2 (white)
Hoods: Hudz (white)
Seat: Specialized Toupe Team Saddle (white & blue)
Seat Post: FSA K-Force (carbon)
Cables: iLink Alligator Covers w/Alligator PTFE Brake & Gear Wiring (black)
Rims: Campagnolo Shamal Ultra 2-Way Fit (colored version)
Tires: Michelin PRO Corse 4 (white)
Inner Tubes: Slime Light 19-25
Bottle Cages: Blackburn Carbon Bottle Carriers (1 blue/1 white)
Padels: Look KEO2 Carbon Limited Ed.
Computer: Garmin Edge 500 (neutral model) *will be upgrading to the Edge 810
Cassette: Still original *in the process now of ordering a new one 11-28T
Cell Mount: SlipGrip for Samsung S2

Please any comments and or opinions. I tried to keep everything uniform and not stray from the bikes basic color scheme.
Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle accessory
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#25 ·
jwalther, Let me know what you think after some long rides on your Ergo. I love mine, I can ride a century and feel ready for more. Granted it's my first all-carbon road bike, but this thing soaks up the crappy pavement around here with great skill, allowing me to FOCUS (haha) on cadence and pacing, and not on grabbing the brakes before the next section of rough roadway.

I just fitted a new set of 25mm Conti GP4000S's so I can't wait to get it out with the new shoes.

#33 ·
I looked at the price on the MAX, saw the cable, looked elsewhere right away. :) I was looking at the 2013 AG2R Izalco Pro replica, but since I blew 50% off savings on my Izalco, by swapping Force for Chorus, I'd basically have 2 of the same bike. I think I'm going back to another steel, or Ti bike, unless again, I can get another great deal on that Cayo/Chorus.

Updated pic for Focus love:

Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

#34 ·
I looked at the price on the MAX, saw the cable, looked elsewhere right away. :) I was looking at the 2013 AG2R Izalco Pro replica, but since I blew 50% off savings on my Izalco, by swapping Force for Chorus, I'd basically have 2 of the same bike. I think I'm going back to another steel, or Ti bike, unless again, I can get another great deal on that Cayo/Chorus.

Updated pic for Focus love:

View attachment 298334
I would get the Chorus Group with some fancy cockpit and seatpost/fork equipment and do a Resto-Mod: Get a sweet older steel frame from Colnago or even a Peugot or a Schwinn Paramount, Enve Components, and Chorus Group. An older frame won't be too much but cheaper than the frames you're looking at. Or get a Lynskey or Ritte. Why have two carbon bikes?

#35 ·
I wanted to get a frame with a shorter reach...had (2) Foci last year, got rid of the compact (too much pedaling on the 36 ring), and Focus just seemed like a really good buy. This year, after riding some bumpy paved trails (after work rides in city), I'm worried about frame failure, hence the move to a "less rusty" metal frame. My current circa '98 Master has seen better days, and has had a bent dropout repaired (bent back in place), so I'm not sure how long it will last. Looking at Lynskey Rouleur, for its short top tube, or another Master, or Tomassini Techno. Apparently the new Masters can still be ordered in Zabel, or Molteni, for additional cost...decisions, decisions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.