Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Focus chainstay spacing problem, or something different?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  K Dub Cycle 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I love my bike. Picked up the frame last December and it's amazing. For reference it's a 2014 Focus Cayo Evo Team Replica. Anyways, I'm not sure what to make of this potential problem. It seems that the spacing on the chainstays at the bottom bracket could be off. I had noticed it before, but initially thought that was how it was supposed to be. I don't think that anymore. Could it be off, could it be something different, or is it supposed to be like this? I don't notice anything weird when riding it, but it just looks strange to me and logically thinking, leads me to believe that the spacing should be equal. Please see the pics below. You can clearly see that the clearance on the NDS is quite a bit tighter than the DS.

Before you mention wheel true, it was just done prior to these pics from a very reputable shop. It was trued and dished properly.

So, thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Something else that came to mind after reading a previous post was that the drop outs could be out of whack. Could this be?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

See less See more
#5 ·
Turn the wheel around and check again. That will eliminate incorrect dish.

#12 ·
You can clearly see that the clearance on the NDS is quite a bit tighter than the DS.
I have a 2013 Focus Cayo Evo. What's interesting is that I have noticed the same about my chainstays only the opposite than yours. My drive-side has a smaller gap between the chainstay and wheel than the non-drive-side. I have always thought it's intentional either due to a thicker drive-side chainstay or the drive-side chainstay is angled differently for crankset clearance. As my wheel perfectly aligns the seat-tube I never really thought it was an issue.

#13 ·
Apparently, your off-center chainstay spacing is not isolated to the Focus brand. My Pinarello Dogma 65.1 also has this asymmetric chainstay spacing. Mine has the smaller tire-chainstay gap on the left (non drive side) chainstay behind the bottom bracket. This is with all 3 Campagnolo wheelsets I own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.