Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

New Lynskey R340 orderd

Hey to all Lynskey owners and enthusiests, I don't see much about the Lynskey brand on here so I thought I would try and get a little enthusiasm stirred up! I have been riding Mountain bikes for the last 15 years and a new Santa Cruz Tallboy (great bike) for the last 6 months. I have been thinking for the last month I would like to also get into road biking to be able to travel some serious miles. The price of gas it seems logical!

I almost bought an Bianchi Infinito but just couldn't find my frame size in the color I wanted. Although while looking for a bike I did ride an Lynskey demo bike when looking around for a road bike and liked it. After talking to a local avid bicycle rider from my area who rides steel bikes but also liked Ti bikes, reading reviews, talking to Lynskey, and my dealer it seemed like the way to go.

I have ordered the 2011 R340 model, with hand brushed finish, Chorus 11 Gruppo, Record 11 Bottom Bracket, Campy Eurus 2 way fit wheels, 3T Ergonova Handlebar, Team Stem, Doric Seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, and Continental Gran Prix 4 Season Tires. The bike will weigh in about 16 lbs with pedals and should be here in July. The wait will seem like forever but I have confidence it will be well worth it.

I will post pictures when its done and meanwhile maybe some others will like to share there Lynskey stories/enthusiasm/experiences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

what size Lynskey?

Hi. What size did you order? I'm 5'8" and I went with the R340 small. Bad choice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hey Dan,
    I ordered a small which is a 53 cm (toptube) with ENVE fork and Chris King headset, I am 5' 6" 135 lbs. I was fitted for a 55 cm Bianchi Infinito but it was just a touch big and I would have needed a 53 which I couldn't find in that size in Celeste at the time.

I feel confident the 53 cm will be fine for me. If I hadn't been professionaly fitted for a bike I would have probably ordered the Med which by Lynskey specs is for a 5' 5" - 5' 7" person if I remember right. When asking Lynskey about this they said that is just a guidline to go by and an actual fit would be more acurate.

I have changed the wheels and tires for my build from the build I listed above. I am going with the "Campy" Shamal Ultra 2-way fit wheels and Hutchison "Intensive" 25 mm tubless tires. I want tubless tires and the Shamal Ultra 2-way fit wheels are a little lighter than the Eurus 2-way fit wheels.

I have to say though, I ordered this bike on May 23rd and was told I would have it by the beginning of July. Its now over 2 months of patiently waiting and I found out yesterday that my bike frame isn't going to ship from the factory until August 25th (or so Lynskey says). When I wrote a letter to Lynskey and expressed my dissapointment with Lynskey and they then called me, they said they dropped the ball on this one and are sorry.

It boggles my mind that these bike company's tell you something and then it takes twice the time (or longer) and in my case thats if they actually do ship it on August 25th? It will be September before I will be able to get the bike and have it built. I wish company's would tell you the truth instead of guessing or lie to people. I hope it is worth the wait but I am not a happy camper. I wanted to ride this summer and it will be passed until I get to ride, unbelievable!

I look at the 4-6 week wait on there website for any of there bikes and just have to laugh, hehehe, not really. I read another post about someone waiting and waiting only to be offered another model which they took at a good price.

Same scenario for me as I was offered a Helix at a good price but don't really care for the Helix unless it would have been an Helix O.S. which it wasn't. They are supposed to take care of me (whatever that means) which time will tell what that means. Meanwhile I am bent over "n" waiting.

I didn't want to start but I think everyone should know when you are getting a custom made bike you never know when you are going to get it. The only good thing I can think of is it gives you time to save up for components and change your mind a bunch of times on your build. From the experience I am having and you just ordered your bike it will probably be October till you get it and depending on where you live snow may be falling. Good Luck to you!

Re-Cyclist
    I just bought a slightly used R330 with the ENVE fork and Chris King headset. I'm darned near 6' 0" and went with the L size frame. I'll be building it up with SRAM Force and other good stuff. Pics to follow.

Too bad there's no Lynskey forum here.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah,
    No specific Lynskey forum that I could find either? That is why I tried to get some enthusiasm started here but there must not be many Lynskey enthusiests or if there is they don't talk about them much? I do see a couple threads here and there and a few on the MTB forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Ahhh man.. that sucks. I just put an order in for a Sportive last week and am told it will be late August/early September. I sure hope that is somewhat accurate. The bike shop I ordered it from said Lynskey is rarely late and most of the time early, so maybe indeed, they did drop the ball and sounds like they tried to make ammends by getting you an upgraded frame.

To date, all the interactions I have had with Lynskey have been very good. Countless questions were answered immediately... I even got one response as one of the reps was sitting down to dinner and asked me if it was okay to call me later... this was on a Friday night. I said no problem and he contacted me first thing on Saturday... that's good service.

Bizman... I did get a chance to sit on an R340 and see it up close just last weekend. It's a beautiful bike and should be worth the wait, but I too would be frustrated.

Hang in there and post a pic when you get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I wish you the best Norcal_Mike in getting yours when they said and hope you do! I have always had good interactions with Lynskey too, even during this wait and expressing my dissapointment to them. Though, it is nice to hear of someone else seeing this bike (R340), sitting on one, and saying how beautiful it is. I will hang in there, I have waited this long! I will post some pictures when I get it done, but thats gonna be a while yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Finaly, after almost 3 1/2 months of waiting, I am going to pick up the frame, fork, and headset tomorrow from the dealer and will drop it off at my LBS to have built. The LBS said they may be able to have it done by next week. YES!!! I will keep you posted and get some pictures for you to check out when I do.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Finaly, after almost 3 1/2 months of waiting, I am going to pick up the frame, fork, and headset tomorrow from the dealer and will drop it off at my LBS to have built. The LBS said they may be able to have it done by next week. YES!!! I will keep you posted and get some pictures for you to check out when I do.
    Alright; Christmas in August !

I'll be ordering a Backroad sometime this fall.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Actually; My birthday is in September I like the backroad model too, it looks like it would be great to take across county. Better order now depending on when you want it!

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Actually; My birthday is in September I like the backroad model too, it looks like it would be great to take across county. Better order now depending on when you want it!
    The Backroad was the closest to being a race-geometry frame for a Clydesdale in that I can ride with 700X32 or larger tires, has drop bars, yet has a high stack. And it's built very sturdy (For seriously-loaded tours), designed for disc brakes, and has a longer wheelbase.

If money wasn't an issue, the frame I would love to have is the R440. Have Lynskey massage the chainstay/seatstay to fit 700X32 and use a cyclocross CF fork up front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    That is a loooong wait and 2 months over due! Congrats Bizman and please post some pics. Mine was supposed to be in by the first week of September at the latest... I just got word that it will actually be shipped by the 16th of September. If my timeline is anything like yours, I should actually see it in November.

GRIPE: I don't mind waiting for a semi-handmade bike like a Lynskey, but they need to be way more realistic on their timelines. One of the factors in choosing a Lynskey over many other Ti manufacturers, is their website said they had the frames I wanted "in stock". In fact, the frame I ordered currently says "in stock" today. One would think if it is in stock, it would ship immediately, which clearly isn't the case for many. Oldest customer service trick in the book... Under promise, over deliver.

PRAISE: The Lynskeys look rediculously awesome in person and the people at Lynskey were incredibly helpful and patient in getting me all the information needed to make the right decision. They were very accesible and responsive.

Good luck Bizman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    [QUOTE=Norcal_Mike;3535956]That is a loooong wait and 2 months over due! Congrats Bizman and please post some pics. Mine was supposed to be in by the first week of September at the latest... I just got word that it will actually be shipped by the 16th of September. If my timeline is anything like yours, I should actually see it in November.

>I hope they are more acurate for your date of delivery than mine was? I wish you the best!

GRIPE: I don't mind waiting for a semi-handmade bike like a Lynskey, but they need to be way more realistic on their timelines. One of the factors in choosing a Lynskey over many other Ti manufacturers, is their website said they had the frames I wanted "in stock". In fact, the frame I ordered currently says "in stock" today. One would think if it is in stock, it would ship immediately, which clearly isn't the case for many. Oldest customer service trick in the book... Under promise, over deliver.

>I agree with this as well. Although my bike wasn't in stock (and I can't remember if the website said it was at the time or not as its been to long to remember?) they said it would be here early July. Then, early August they say the end of August. They may lose a sale by telling the truth but I would rather hear the truth and make a decision than being told something that isn't true and then getting frustrated To keep the record straight Lynskey did nothing for me as I was told they would for dropping the ball on this one. Although, the dealer did offer me a computer or "Blackburn" Ti water bottle holder to sweeten the deal a little for my frustration. I took the Ti water bottle holder and he sold me a second at his cost. The dealer has been great during this sale and they went out of there way to help me out and I appreciate that!

PRAISE: The Lynskeys look rediculously awesome in person and the people at Lynskey were incredibly helpful and patient in getting me all the information needed to make the right decision. They were very accesible and responsive.

> You are absolutly right with this, they are very friendly, responsive, helpful. NOTE: In reality it doesn't make a bit of difference how nice, freindly any business is, if you can't deliver it means nothing. On a GOOD note, I got my frame and it really does look beautiful! The welds are really nice, way nicer than what they look like on the website IMHO.

Good luck Bizman.

> Thanks and I will get some pictures when it is done which hopefully will be next week. My Shamal Ultra 2-way fit wheels are going to take a few days or so as they are suppoed to be just coming to the warehouse from what I am told by my LBS. I just orderd the 3T Ergonova Team Carbon bar from another distributor as my LBS's vendors are out of stock for this in a 42 cm and wouldn't be available until middle of September. This bar is coming from Real Cyclist (AKA Huck "N' Roll) who by the way were very good to deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Biz man, sounds like a great build. Can't wait to see the pics! Why did you choose the R340 over the the other Lynskey offerings? I'm leaning toward the R230. Wonder how they differ in ride quality? Did you ride any other Lynskeys? Thanks for sharing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaulfinger View Post
    Biz man, sounds like a great build. Can't wait to see the pics! Why did you choose the R340 over the the other Lynskey offerings? I'm leaning toward the R230. Wonder how they differ in ride quality? Did you ride any other Lynskeys? Thanks for sharing!
    I only rode the one Lynskey which was an older demo model at the time which I believe was an R210? I picked the R340 based on reviews. The reviews indicated the R340 would be a good all around bike for long trips, racing, leisure rides, etc. I will probably set this bike up for long ride comfort as much as possible. I wanted my bike to be light and high performance and this was one of Lynskey's top of the line bikes at a reasonable price.

I wasn't a big fan of the regular Helix model (more money too) but did like the Helix OS but it was too much $$$. So in answer to your question about comparing ride quality's I can't tell you? Soon I will be able to tell you how this one rides! Look for the R340 on the Lynskey websight. At the bottom of the page is a link for some reviews on the bike, also look for reviews here on roadbikereview.com on the R340. Hope that helps ya!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks. My local shop has Lynskey but only the R230 and they don't carry it in stock at the XL size so I would have to make the decision without riding it. I'm leaning toward the R340 because of the oversized tubing as I'm a larger person. I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of your build and especially hearing the review of the ride quality of the bike.

wanted to add that the R340 is a beautiful piece of work. Hope you enjoy it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I know its more money but have you checked out the R440? It's got oversized tubing and is supposed to be for larger people who want a strong stiff bike. I am small, 5' 6" 135 lbs so I figured the R340 would be good for me and lighter than the R440. I don't know what kind of riding you are planning but maybe you should check out the "Backroad" which is supposed to handle any weight and I though was reasonably priced.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    I know its more money but have you checked out the R440? It's got oversized tubing and is supposed to be for larger people who want a strong stiff bike. I am small, 5' 6" 135 lbs so I figured the R340 would be good for me and lighter than the R440. I don't know what kind of riding you are planning but maybe you should check out the "Backroad" which is supposed to handle any weight and I though was reasonably priced.
    I would love to build an R440 !

I has the geometry I want and is built for gorillas like me !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Ok, thanks for the info. Didn't realize that. I'll probably call them and ask what Lynskey recommends. Sounds like you got lots of pre-sale advice from them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Talking R340

Hi to all Lynskey owners,

I am happy to say that I will soon become a proud owner of a Ti road bike, at this stage I have ordered my new Lynskey R340 frame about 4-5 weeks ago and it should be arriving sometime next month. After searching and reading reviews on parts/ components/ accessories, I have ordered and received all the parts (worldwide search for the best possible price) and now just waiting on the frame.

The World Wide Web is an amazing tool (in regards to all the search engine), it's a discussion between building a road bike from scratch of just simply purchasing a complete bike from a catalogue from any/ or a specific brand of bike company, but where is the enjoyment in that?

Do you rely on your friends or bike store shop assistant who can talk his way out of a wet paper bag to give you their point of view, personal experience or from what they’ve heard on a bike that you want or about to purchased or do you simply do your own personal groundwork. At times it is hard because money doesn't grow on trees and sometimes the things that you want is not there for you to trial or simply just unavailable, not all of us are Lance Armstrong/ Eddy Merckx/ Bernard Hinault/ Miranda Kerr, just had to include Mirande Kerr because just imagine if you die and you return as her bicycle seat. Would you be aerodynamic/ light for her or just simply comfortable to make her ride enjoyable and less painful!

I am a 163cm (5’4”) weekend cyclist and depending on the weather I ride to work every day. I use to ride a size 52cm Specialized carbon frame road bike, and hopefully sometime next month will be riding a Lynskey Ti frame road bike.

My new bike will have the following parts:-
    - Lynskey R340 frame (small) with hand brushed finished
    - Enve 2.0 composite fork (43mm rake)
    - Chris King no thread set headset (1 1/8 inch)
    - Ritchey WCS Logic II handlebar wet black (31.8mm, 40cm)
    - Ritchey WCS 4 Axis oversize stem wet black (31.8mm, 90mm)
    - Ritchey WCS Alloy 1-Bolt seat post wet black (31.6mm, 400mm)
    - Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle (black)
    - Look Keo HM Titanium pedals
    - Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheel set
    - SRAM Red black edition group set with GXP bb (170mm, 11-23, 53/39)
    - Fizik dual bar tape (black/grey)
    - Arundel Mandible Carbon Weave Gloss bottle cage (2)

Total price (including delivery of all parts):- 7830 AUD/ 8084 USD/ 5113 GPB/ 5924 EUR (XE currency converter)

Some of you are probably wondering why I chose these parts / components. I will leave you a question for an answer: -
    - Weekend Cyclist vs Professional Cyclist (if you think a professional cyclist means that if you own a $15000+ road bike and you ride with a large pack of cyclist on the weekends that you’re class as a professional cyclist, think again)?
    - Ti vs Carbon vs Alloy vs Steel (WTF (if they made Kryptonite as a frame material it will be included in the material frame wars discussions))?
    - Hill vs Flat?
    - Performance vs Brand name vs Best Value for Money?
    - Eye catcher vs maintenance issue vs lifetime guarantee?

I will post a picture once my bike is built

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynskey R340 View Post
    Hi to all Lynskey owners,

I am happy to say that I will soon become a proud owner of a Ti road bike, at this stage I have ordered my new Lynskey R340 frame about 4-5 weeks ago and it should be arriving sometime next month. After searching and reading reviews on parts/ components/ accessories, I have ordered and received all the parts (worldwide search for the best possible price) and now just waiting on the frame.

The World Wide Web is an amazing tool (in regards to all the search engine), it's a discussion between building a road bike from scratch of just simply purchasing a complete bike from a catalogue from any/ or a specific brand of bike company, but where is the enjoyment in that?

Do you rely on your friends or bike store shop assistant who can talk his way out of a wet paper bag to give you their point of view, personal experience or from what they’ve heard on a bike that you want or about to purchased or do you simply do your own personal groundwork. At times it is hard because money doesn't grow on trees and sometimes the things that you want is not there for you to trial or simply just unavailable, not all of us are Lance Armstrong/ Eddy Merckx/ Bernard Hinault/ Miranda Kerr, just had to include Mirande Kerr because just imagine if you die and you return as her bicycle seat. Would you be aerodynamic/ light for her or just simply comfortable to make her ride enjoyable and less painful!

I am a 163cm (5’4”) weekend cyclist and depending on the weather I ride to work every day. I use to ride a size 52cm Specialized carbon frame road bike, and hopefully sometime next month will be riding a Lynskey Ti frame road bike.

My new bike will have the following parts:-
    - Lynskey R340 frame (small) with hand brushed finished
    - Enve 2.0 composite fork (43mm rake)
    - Chris King no thread set headset (1 1/8 inch)
    - Ritchey WCS Logic II handlebar wet black (31.8mm, 40cm)
    - Ritchey WCS 4 Axis oversize stem wet black (31.8mm, 90mm)
    - Ritchey WCS Alloy 1-Bolt seat post wet black (31.6mm, 400mm)
    - Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle (black)
    - Look Keo HM Titanium pedals
    - Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheel set
    - SRAM Red black edition group set with GXP bb (170mm, 11-23, 53/39)
    - Fizik dual bar tape (black/grey)
    - Arundel Mandible Carbon Weave Gloss bottle cage (2)

Total price (including delivery of all parts):- 7830 AUD/ 8084 USD/ 5113 GPB/ 5924 EUR (XE currency converter)

Some of you are probably wondering why I chose these parts / components. I will leave you a question for an answer: -
    - Weekend Cyclist vs Professional Cyclist (if you think a professional cyclist means that if you own a $15000+ road bike and you ride with a large pack of cyclist on the weekends that you’re class as a professional cyclist, think again)?
    - Ti vs Carbon vs Alloy vs Steel (WTF (if they made Kryptonite as a frame material it will be included in the material frame wars discussions))?
    - Hill vs Flat?
    - Performance vs Brand name vs Best Value for Money?
    - Eye catcher vs maintenance issue vs lifetime guarantee?

I will post a picture once my bike is built

So how long have you worked for Lynskey?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    So how long have you worked for Lynskey?
    Nah sorry mate, I don't work for Lynskey and if I did I would have thrown in a set of Ti seatpost and Enve 2.0 composite with all the high performance frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Soon to be a Helix owner. Been looking for a frame to build up over the winter and have been going back and forth between Aluminum (because of cost) and Ti. While leaning towards the R240 I was lusting over the Helix but it was a hair out of my price range. By chance I pulled up the Linskey loft and they had a Helix sized ML at a much reduced price and bam, I snatched it up. Now all I have to do is tell my Wife.

Plan on building it up with Campy, not sure if Chorus, Record of a combination of the two but that's what I'll be doing this winter...Can't wait.

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew1 View Post
    Soon to be a Helix owner. Been looking for a frame to build up over the winter and have been going back and forth between Aluminum (because of cost) and Ti. While leaning towards the R240 I was lusting over the Helix but it was a hair out of my price range. By chance I pulled up the Linskey loft and they had a Helix sized ML at a much reduced price and bam, I snatched it up. Now all I have to do is tell my Wife.

Plan on building it up with Campy, not sure if Chorus, Record of a combination of the two but that's what I'll be doing this winter...Can't wait.
    Can't go wrong with Campy (Record or Chorus) on a Helix!

It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Very nice....What did it come in on the scale?

I'm going Record except getting the SuperR D brakes. Got a great deal from Excel Sports Boulder on a build kit that includes Shamal Ultra 2-ways.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast