RoadBikeReview Member

Pegoretti Fina Estampa

Looking at a Pegoretti Fina Estampa, NOS, frame. Would build to climb with compact crank. Anywone have experience with Pegoretti and this frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    go to the Serotta forum for all the Pegoretti info you would need. Highly respected bike brand.

MWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by us_wr
    Looking at a Pegoretti Fina Estampa, NOS, frame. Would build to climb with compact crank. Anywone have experience with Pegoretti and this frame?
    I had one. It was a perfectly fine bike, but not the magical machine lots of Pegoretti fans claim it is. The Fina uses round scandium tubes welded in a very traditional geometry. It's not light, but it's stiff and solid feeling. The Serotta Forum has lots of people who gush over it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why are Pegoretti's in the Serotta forum?

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by us_wr
    I have one, bought mainly due to the gushing and new one being available at 1/2 MSRP.

Contrary to common knowledge, it's not a Scandium tubeset, it's a plain old 6000 series aluminum. Not that it matters, because Scandium doesn't do anything for the ride properties.

It has a decent ride, it's very heavy for an aluminum frame (bike checked in at 19+ lbs with Chorus) and it has a beautiful paint job. It takes big bumps pretty hard, as you might expect from a big-tubed aluminum frame. The rest of the time, it's pleasant enough. It's not my idea of a climbing bike, I like those in the 16 lb. range, not 20.

As mentioned above, it's very popular brand on the Serotta forum, mainly because there are a couple of people over there recognized as "experts" on all things two-wheeled. The group think grew from there, and I for one have had my ass handed to me on a couple of occasions merely for questioning the sheer perfection of the product.

I like mine well enough. It's a good bike, it gets me where I want to go, you get many style points as they are pretty uncommon. I'd buy it again, but I wouldn't go into the deal thinking it's some sort of magical bike, because it isn't.

underzealot
    i have a pegoretti "big leg emma" with a record 50/34 compact crank built specifically for some big hills near my house. very stiff steel bike that i love to ride. have never ridden it more than 100 km though

Big is relative
    I must have missed this one before. I have a Fina built up with Record and an FSA compact crank with 36/50. I really enjoy the ride, it feels solid and reassuring, I have no issues pushing over into a crit corner. It isn't a century bike if you are looking to cruise and enjoy the ride. It is a racing frame and really only does that well. I do ride it close to 100 miles most Sundays but I have a set of wheels with 25mm tires that really take the edge off. I did do a century once with a set of 23mm armadillos on it and really expected to pee blood at the end.
    Retired sailor

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    I did do a century once with a set of 23mm armadillos on it and really expected to pee blood at the end.
    That is really funny.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com