Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Road routes in Bend?

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  thatdrewguy 
#1 ·
I'm going to be over in Bend this week from Monday to Thursday, and I'm looking for some road rides that would take about 2 hours or so at a good pace.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well considering we just got 3'' of snow and it has yet to melt off, I would say you are SOL. But if it has melted off I would say Skyliners Rd, China Hat Rd, and Johnson Rd. Most other good rides are up there in elevation so they will still have a fair amount of snow pack.

Ive been riding my trainer for the last week and I am going nuts! Spring seasons here suck!

#5 ·
I would like some local knowledge and advice for a couple of routes. I will be in Bend end of July and looking to do a ride of about 65 miles. I found these two routes on Strava and wanted to know which would be the better ride? Only problem with the Mt Bachelor ride is that it's a loop starting at Mt Bachelor and not in Bend. Looking at the miles & elevation gained I don't want to do this ride from Bend. Is the other ride going north from Bend scenic and worth it? Thanks for any input.

Bike Ride Profile | Jul 20, 2012 near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
Bike Ride Profile | 70miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

#6 ·
Variants of the first route you linked are used for several of the road races around Bend, whether the RR stage of Cascades, the RR from the High Desert Omnium or the past couple of Masters Nationals RRs. They start from or around the Mt. Bachelor ski area, which is a bit more than 20 miles from town. Climbing and descending to Bachelor from town would add a couple of hours (or more) to that ride. You could drive up there to start it, of course. Getting up and riding around the lakes is very nice.

The second ride is a good route, but note that the return to Bend spends a bit of time on Hwy 20, which I think is fine to ride on, but I know many people who aren't comfortable with the traffic.

I will send you a PM with some Strava links.

#10 ·
No, the only place for food in that area is at Mt. Bachelor itself. I'm assuming you're doing the loop clockwise which means you'll pass by Elk Lake Resort 11 miles before Mt. Bachelor and there's a convenience store and restaurant there. Depending on how you're feeling energy wise it might be a better stop cause the Sparks Lake climb is a pretty good workout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.