Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STP primer

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Hey guys -
    I figured I'd link over to my ride report for the 2014 STP. Sorry in advance for the VERY long read over there.
    Cheers-

STP Ride Report (2014)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Stp 2014

Congrats Corenfa on your finish. This was my 2nd STP and 2nd one day finish. My group starts from Capitol Hill. We go down the old route via Airport Way to REI Renton rest stop...avoiding the crowded start. We avoid all rest stops except for Centralia for the cremcicles. We stop at stores for water...Subway right after Centralia and Longview. You definitely have the training for one day. After Centralia, less riders but more experienced with better pace lines to pull you to the finish. The stop and go pace once in Portland is unavoidable.... but at that time a safe finish is certainly guaranteed. We start at 6AM ...finish by 8PM. The weather was unusually hot but I luckily train in the heat and mountains of Virginia. I'll be back next year for a three peat one day finish. Cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corenfa View Post
    Hey guys -
    I figured I'd link over to my ride report for the 2014 STP. Sorry in advance for the VERY long read over there.
    Cheers-

STP Ride Report (2014)

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Congrats Corenfa on your finish. This was my 2nd STP and 2nd one day finish. My group starts from Capitol Hill. We go down the old route via Airport Way to REI Renton rest stop...avoiding the crowded start. We avoid all rest stops except for Centralia for the cremcicles. We stop at stores for water...Subway right after Centralia and Longview. You definitely have the training for one day. After Centralia, less riders but more experienced with better pace lines to pull you to the finish. The stop and go pace once in Portland is unavoidable.... but at that time a safe finish is certainly guaranteed. We start at 6AM ...finish by 8PM. The weather was unusually hot but I luckily train in the heat and mountains of Virginia. I'll be back next year for a three peat one day finish. Cheers!!!
    Hi AllanB. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'd MUCH rather have done the 1 day, but I was riding as part of a charity team. If I do it again, I'm going to do just that - the 1 day and see about departing early.

Just curious - what parts of VA?

I just moved to Seattle from Fredericksburg. Riding in 98 degree 95% humidity is pretty normal out there. Even on Skyline. I have to admit, when so many others on the STP were getting beaten to death by the bad chip seal on country roads, I could only chuckle. That's all Virginia has. Hot, chip seal, no should country roads. That's what I cut my teeth on. While so many were dropping back and slowing down, that was my cue to hop on the left and glide across.

Cheers!

Big is relative
    Annual bump. Good information here, can answer many questions about riding the STP. Most applies to a one day ride.
    Retired sailor

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Well, since it's been bumped, I'll put up some info.

I had hoped to do the 1 day this year, but since my son (who will be 10 at the time) will be riding it with me, 200 miles in a day on his own two wheels could be a bit challenging. So, we're doing the 2 day. That being said, I REALLY look forward to the mid-point celebration at Centralia. It looked awesome last year and he and I have never been camping, so this will be the closest to it.

The exact route of this year's STP hasn't yet been published, but it will be significantly different than last year's. The "wall" still exists (a 1 mile climb at about a 5-7% avg). It's not particularly hard but it's enough that you can separate yourself from the folks that really have no business doing a 200+ mile ride.

Also, they've had a few changes in sponsors this year including Blue Steel providing the chamois cream samples. I've been using Blue Steel for a few months now and it's my absolute favorite nut cream. They're also a local (WA) company, so that's a plus.

Looking forward to seeing the official route this year.

clueless oaf
    Aug 2014
    i'm looking at doing the STP this year. I started riding last September-ish, and i'm up to a 70-miler, but darn it took me like 5:30. I did some big hills though (Steilacoom docks to North Fort Lewis and Solo Point, both in the Lakewood/DuPont area)

am I too late in the game to really consider doing a 200-miler? As of right now, I'm up to 1263 miles this calendar year. Never done any type of riding in a group. I have a Salsa Fargo, not sure if that's the ideal bike to ride for this type of thing (heavy and slow, with fat tires, but a lot of fun offroads)

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Hi sgtrobo -
    It's not too late as long as you have a way of registering. It's officially sold out but there are still ways to get bibs. I lead some groups around the Tacoma and federal way areas and judging by your rides and your handle, I'm assuming you're near JBLM. Hit me up on IM and I'll point you to a couple rides that will be good for getting ready as well as some good resources. I'm leading one on Monday night at 7 focusing on hill training.

Fwiw, I did my first century 2 months after starting to ride and my second one a month later. It's more about mental conditioning than physical to a point.

Cheers

Big is relative
    Bump to the top. Lots of good information here for people doing the STP. I'm doing a Grand Canyon trip this summer but I want to do the STP again next year.
    Retired sailor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123