Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 187
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    125

    Difference Between A Chinarello and a Pinarello

    For those that have wondered about the frames on Ebay, here is the difference:

    We have become aware of several counterfeit Pinarello frames making their way into the United States. Some of these frames are branded and painted to look like a Pinarello, but have obviously not been subject to the strict quality control and testing that genuine Pinarello frames must go through. Examples we have uncovered are easily recognized as they do not have Italian threaded bottom brackets, do not use proprietary Pinarello headsets and with imitation Dogma frames, accept a traditional round seat post.

    Typically these frames are being supplied without the small parts, such as the bb cable guides, the seat post clamps and, in some cases the rear derailleur hangers. Genuine Pinarello parts typically do not fit on these frames.

    It is important to realize these are not Pinarello frames, are not made in the Pinarello factory, are not made from the proprietary materials that are only available to Pinarello and are not subject to Pinarello's stringent quality controls. Therefore, they will in no way perform like a Pinarello bike nor can their safety or suitability for use be determined.

    Since the origin of these frames cannot be determined there is almost certainly no manufacturer's warranty or liability insurance in place to protect buyers in cases of catastrophic failure. There are several instances on the internet of failures of counterfeit frames. As always, to be certain that you have a genuine Pinarello, be sure to deal with an authorized Pinarello dealer.
    Bart Stetler
    QueenCity Bicycles
    1408-A East Blvd
    Charlotte NC 28203
    704-522-7006
    www.queencitybicycles.com

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: vontress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    601
    Nice to have one place for all this info. I was 99% sure that they were quite different.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: foofighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,253
    that should be good for the would-be shopper looking to buy a "great deal"

    you should post this up on your site with pictures side-by-side to show people what to look out for.
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

  4. #4
    likes shiny bikes
    Reputation: rhauft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Mods should sticky this.
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

  5. #5
    SteelSix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    i have seen a chinarello and real one in the 2011 CDE colours (I own a 537) - the chinarello is easily spotted. it was without the shiny stick on pinarello decal on the head tube - the red was not the "diamond finish" glitter paint - wrong BB - wrong headtube - the naked carbon fibre bits were not the pinarello weave - the seatpost was round and did not have the proprietry DOGMA post clamp nor did it have the other branded accessories. Frankly you can tell the real ones were painted by italians and the fake ones were painted by well...

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: foofighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,253
    you have to think though, unless you're stopped and examining the bike up close you wouldnt know if you were just riding past
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    65
    Actually you would - when you ride past the Chinarello broken on the side of the road, you would easily be able to tell it is a fake

    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
    you have to think though, unless you're stopped and examining the bike up close you wouldnt know if you were just riding past
    Last edited by spas; 06-22-2011 at 04:13 PM.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: foofighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,253
    lol ^^^
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

  9. #9
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,892
    Sticky this, I say. It's nice to have the actual differences listed for future reference.

    So much for the "extra production going out the door" theory...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  10. #10
    Slightly Opinionated
    Reputation: robdamanii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10,212
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcycles View Post
    For those that have wondered about the frames on Ebay, here is the difference:

    We have become aware of several counterfeit Pinarello frames making their way into the United States. Some of these frames are branded and painted to look like a Pinarello, but have obviously not been subject to the strict quality control and testing that genuine Pinarello frames must go through. Examples we have uncovered are easily recognized as they do not have Italian threaded bottom brackets, do not use proprietary Pinarello headsets and with imitation Dogma frames, accept a traditional round seat post.

    Typically these frames are being supplied without the small parts, such as the bb cable guides, the seat post clamps and, in some cases the rear derailleur hangers. Genuine Pinarello parts typically do not fit on these frames.

    It is important to realize these are not Pinarello frames, are not made in the Pinarello factory, are not made from the proprietary materials that are only available to Pinarello and are not subject to Pinarello's stringent quality controls. Therefore, they will in no way perform like a Pinarello bike nor can their safety or suitability for use be determined.

    Since the origin of these frames cannot be determined there is almost certainly no manufacturer's warranty or liability insurance in place to protect buyers in cases of catastrophic failure. There are several instances on the internet of failures of counterfeit frames. As always, to be certain that you have a genuine Pinarello, be sure to deal with an authorized Pinarello dealer.
    Christ, I've been trying to point this out to the "it's all the same frame" fools for months.

    Glad to see an actual dealer who's seen and handled these things weigh in. Thank you sir, for proving the point that you get what you pay for.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.


    The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

  11. #11
    Slightly Opinionated
    Reputation: robdamanii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10,212
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Sticky this, I say. It's nice to have the actual differences listed for future reference.

    So much for the "extra production going out the door" theory...
    C'mon Platy. Don't you know that the chinarello people are just "fighting the man, who's artificially inflating the price of everything??" Remember, we're just the idiots who actually buy legitimate, quality products. They're the forward thinking global economic forces that will shape the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.


    The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

  12. #12
    SteelSix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by spas View Post
    Actually you would - when you ride past the Chinarello broken on the side of the road, you would easily be able to tell it is a fake
    apart from the above - the diamond finish is not present on chinarello's - and it is quite visible when out on the road - that is the eaiest way to tell

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: vladvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcycles View Post
    For those that have wondered about the frames on Ebay, here is the difference:

    Examples we have uncovered are easily recognized as they do not have Italian threaded bottom brackets,
    Look! An ebay frame with italian threaded bottom bracket

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Full-Carbon-3K-We...d=244349023657

  14. #14
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    Look! An ebay frame with italian threaded bottom bracket

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Full-Carbon-3K-We...d=244349023657

    Look! A frame that STILL isn't a real Pinarello, no matter how much you want it to be!

    Just be happy with your fake and stop trying to make it more than it is....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  15. #15
    Slightly Opinionated
    Reputation: robdamanii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10,212
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    Look! An ebay frame with italian threaded bottom bracket

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Full-Carbon-3K-We...d=244349023657
    Look! Another Chinese piece of sh*t!

    Enjoy your junk, but leave the rest of us honest folks to our dealer purchased, warranty laden frames of glory.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.


    The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

  16. #16
    SteelSix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    Look! An ebay frame with italian threaded bottom bracket

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Full-Carbon-3K-We...d=244349023657
    if you cant tell the difference between that frame and a real Pinarello you don't deserve the latter!

    It doesnt have the most labelled bb, seat clamp, headset etc. The rear chain stays arent shaped correctly, the top tube is way off, the BoB Dogma has the labels done in carbon weave on the frame etc etc etc.

    If anyone thinks that its a good idea to ride that frame i'm sorry but you deserve the catastrophic frame failure that comes your way. Also it wont ride the same as the carbon a) isnt the same proprietary Torayaca carbon b) isnt laid up the same way or in the same shape 3) isnt supported by a 3 year frame warranty.

    Chinarello's are for the cycling equivalent of people who think its the same to drive a corolla with a 911 body kit as the real thing...

  17. #17
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,090
    Next you will tell me that the free Rolex I got from that e-mail that I was sent isn't real, I won that thing fair and square, just had to pay a $29.99 processing and shipping fee!

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: vladvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSix View Post
    if you cant tell the difference between that frame and a real Pinarello you don't deserve the latter!
    I did not say it's pinarello. It's a chinarello princess

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: vladvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSix View Post
    Chinarello's are for the cycling equivalent of people who think its the same to drive a corolla with a 911 body kit as the real thing...
    More like driving a porche with corolla engine

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by spas View Post
    Actually you would - when you ride past the Chinarello broken on the side of the road, you would easily be able to tell it is a fake
    Hmmm...interesting. Considering that I've seen at least 3 broken real Princes and Dogmas in my neck of the woods (from minor crashes where other, ahem, less expensive bikes survived intact).I've seen Cannondale SuperSixes and others too. Stories of broken Chinarellos , considering how many people appear to be purchasing them, seem to be consistent with stories of brand name frames . Broken Treks are not that rare (remember their issue with broken steerers several months ago on the 6 series Madone?). And don't get me started on broken Cervelos...

    Even in the threads in this forum, most issues seem to center on QC issues such as misaligned cable guides, cable adjuster bosses and threads that weren't properly masked prior to paint.

    There's one additional feature that the OP missed: the Chinarellos use a clamp on FD as opposed to a braze on. Some earlier examples had external rear brake cable routing too. Looking closely, the frames are more similar to the FP than the Dogma as FP frames do have a round seat tube just like the Chinarellos. Frame weight , from references in this and other forums, seems to be about equal to the Dogma.

    Granted, some of the painted examples of these frames are not the greatest, but the most recent efforts have greatly improved. Several guys around here have bought a few and they look quite good. Not original issue good but very , very close.

    SteelSix mentioned that you can tell that the real ones were painted by Italians...glad he didn't make that statement in the 80s or 90s , when Italian frame finishes were not that great. Colnagos particularly...sometimes you could get examples that looked like they were painted by a 12 year old.

    Mind you, I do not have one of these frames but I have been following the threads here and in other forums and felt the need to bring some additional info to this thread.

    BTW, when did a frame having an Italian BB become synonymous with a frame having a good BB???

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    736
    I'm not sure why the "extra inventory going out the back door" theory persists, other than helping Chinarello owners feel better about their purchase. Pinarellos are made by Carbotec in Taiwan. Chinarellos are made by Flybike (former Carbotec and Martec employees) in China. People buying these things from Hong Fu, Deng Fu, Kung Fu or whatever are just getting them from middlemen. The fake frames are made by Flybike.

    Buying a Chinarello painted like a Dogma or a Prince is exceedingly lame. At some point, people have to think "how would I feel if my employees stole my intellectual property and set up a competing shop selling products with my brand on them"?

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    More like driving a porche with corolla engine
    That's exactly what you're driving. A "porche".

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoMontoya View Post
    Buying a Chinarello painted like a Dogma or a Prince is exceedingly lame. At some point, people have to think "how would I feel if my employees stole my intellectual property and set up a competing shop selling products with my brand on them"?
    Kind of like how Reynolds is upset at Edge/Enve???

  24. #24
    likes shiny bikes
    Reputation: rhauft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by RC28 View Post
    Kind of like how Reynolds is upset at Edge/Enve???
    No, bad analogy. ENVE's have their own logos and are manufactured in Utah, not cheap knock-off Reynolds logos on cheap Chinese knock-off rims.
    Which I'm sure if you look hard enough, are available on the Bay of Flea.
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

  25. #25
    likes shiny bikes
    Reputation: rhauft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Next you will tell me that the free Rolex I got from that e-mail that I was sent isn't real, I won that thing fair and square, just had to pay a $29.99 processing and shipping fee!
    "Some say" Your $29.99 Folex is made in the same factory as the real Rolex.
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinarello or better - what should I buy
    By infopete in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 01:00 AM
  2. Chinarello Brake Fitting
    By gb155 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
  3. More Chinarello madness
    By enzo269 in forum Pinarello
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 02:55 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook