RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

FP5 frame - Carbon-wrapped alloy?

I recently received my FP5 frame and was shocked to see that the seat tube appears to contain an alloy sleeve within the carbon. I was not able to see the other tubes, but would be concerned if there was alloy in these as well. The LBS who is building the frame also commented on this and were surprised to see it (although they do not carry Pinarello). This frame is sold as carbon monocoq - anyone else noticed this in a Pinarello frame?

World's 1st Anal-rapist
    I seem to remember people mentioning this with other frames. They thought the sleeve is meant to make sure someone who doesn't use a torque wrench won't F up their frame.
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The FP5 is the same frame as the F4:13 except the outlayer is 12k (bigger) weave. Take a look at the thread showing the snapped F4:13 and you will see that it is all carbon (except the seattube sleeve).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Hi rossb.

There is nothing wrong with the aluminium sleeve inside of seat tube (and inside of the head tube too!). Oh, don't forget the bottom bracket area - a huge aluminium insert with the threads, allows you to screw in the bottom bracket...
    Seriously, don't be worry about the constuction of your frame. There are no PURE monocoque frames anywhere in the world.
    Just ride it along and enjoy!
    Play & ride!