Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New Dogma F8 What should I do for gearing

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  etil_etanoat 
#1 ·
Just picked up my new F8 and have a bit of a dilemma about what gearing I should use to build it up with.

Last year I given an opportunity to get a great deal on a Durace Di2 build kit, Shimano C50 clincher wheels and the Pro vibe bar and stem. So I bit and bought the full package. Now that I have the bike I'm wondering if I should go with Campy instead. I have a Dogma 65.1 with Super record EPS (V1) and could easily swap that over, but would need to upgrade to the internal battery (V2).

Colorfulness Orange Rectangle Design Plastic

See less See more
#6 ·
All my other bikes are campy this would be my only Shimano built bike. Also thinking of the Italian heritage and keeping it Italian. I was going to swap my 65.1 to Record mechanical because it will be my race bike now.
I still have a new saddle and pedals on order so I have a least another week to decide.

Thanks for all the responses, i'll let you know what I end up doing.

#7 ·
Seeing how you have Campy on all of the other bikes I'd say the Di2 is a no-brainer.

There is no Italian heritage to that frame at all if you ask me. Maybe the company originally but that's really nonsense.

Have you ridden the Di2 yet? You might not like it. It doesn't feel anything at all like Campy if you ask me. You might not like the "dead" or "numb" or "lifeless" feeling of it in comparison. Granted, I haven't ridden EPS so I'm not sure if that feels like its mechanical counterpart or not, I just assume it does.

#8 ·
OK. Just started my stopwatch, waiting for the first "campy vs shimano" or " mech vs electronic" troll post. ......
Seriously, as others have said, you've got a nice ride no matter what you choose, whatever makes you happy.
To me, its almost as much fun to build a new bike as it is to ride it. Enjoy!

#9 ·
Okay, click your stopwatch.

There is definitely a difference in the tactile feedback with Campagnolo and Shimano. Campagnolo feels either solid or clunky depending on your preference. Some complain that Shimano has little to no feedback, especially if they are used to the strong clicks from Campagnolo.

Try both and get what feels best to you.

#10 ·
Because your current bike has SR I am somewhat surprised by the question and the responses......I got Super record EPS on my 65.1 and I promptly switched all my bikes to campy 11 speed, including my trainer bike. In my opinion the shifter layout is so different it is really hard to like both. I literally have no interest in a bike with shimano or SRAM because of the thumb shifters and the shift feel. Personal opinion only but I think the dura ace or ultegra crankset/chain rings don't look good at all when compared to chorus/record etc.

#21 ·
Awaiting components to arrive to put together my F8 as well. My frame is 47cm. Going Dura-Ace Di2 group set, mid compact 36/52 with 170mm crank length. Since my area is relatively flat I am going for a smooth 11-23 cassette. I may end up with standard 38/53 crank, still wondering whether mid compact is the right choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.