Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

911 tapes show shooting was not self defense

Don't know how you libs missed this one. I'm with you on this one, lets put this guy in jail.

U.S. News - Family: 911 calls show shooting of black teen was not self-defense

SANFORD, Fla. -- Calls made to police show that a black teenager was terrified as he tried to get away from the white neighborhood watch volunteer who shot him, and that the volunteer was not defending himself as he has claimed, the teen's family told The Associated Press on Saturday.
    Sanford police released eight 911 calls late Friday. The neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, tells a dispatcher in the first call that he is following 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Don't know how you libs missed this one. I'm with you on this one, lets put this guy in jail.
    I agree. The lib press has a lot of coverage of this:

Family of black teen says 911 tapes show volunteer was aggressor, did not act in self-defense - The Washington Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/op...on-martin.html
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Interesting, in the story I read it said you could hear someone yelling for help, etc. and then a shot. The story I read didn't specify who was yelling for help, so I just assumed it was the watchman? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense the police are claiming there is no evidence to contradict the watchman's claim it was self-defense.

If it turns out it was the kid yelling for help, then seems like not only is the watchman in big trouble but the authorities are criminally negligent for leaving him out on the streets.

Once again the race issue clouds perhaps a more significant issue. Seems like this guy was some sort of armed vigilante and regardless of the races involved did something that is incredibly screwed up and probably warrants spending a good bit of time in prison.
    Last edited by Dwayne Barry; 03-17-2012 at 12:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a good case for the death penalty or at least jail without parole. That poor kid was just visiting relatives. He was stalked by this idiot.
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

eminence grease

I read about this story on the NYT OpEd page. What a waste. A gun in the hands of a moron and for the moment, he's walked.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry View Post
    Interesting, in the story I read it said you could hear someone yelling for help, etc. and then a shot. The story I read didn't specify who was yelling for help, so I just assumed it was the watchman? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense the police are claiming there is no evidence to contradict the watchman's claim it was self-defense.

If it turns out it was the kid yelling for help, then seems like not only is the watchman in big trouble but the authorities are criminally negligent for leaving him out on the streets.

Once again the race issue clouds perhaps a more significant issue. Seems like this guy was some sort of armed vigilante and regardless of the races involved did something that is incredibly screwed up and probably warrants spending a good bit of time in prison.
    Witnesses also heard someone crying which hardly sounds as if it was the vigilante.

banned
    Jul 2011
    I don't think anyone "missed it" as we are just used to it in the hood. What can one say other than it is nothing more than common racism and hate crime?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk-Bone View Post
    I don't think anyone "missed it" as we are just used to it in the hood. What can one say other than it is nothing more than common racism and hate crime?
    It didn't happen "in the hood" moreon. It happened in a gate community.
    - From my beer koozie

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam View Post
    It didn't happen "in the hood" moreon. It happened in a gate community.
    No kidding? Are you sure?

Just saying blacks see more of this type of white on black violence and it is sadly commonplace, no matter where it happened.

Not Banned

sounds like a simple case

of murder

guy needs to go to jail
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member

Just saying blacks see more of this type of white on black violence and it is sadly commonplace, no matter where it happened.
    Yeah it appears you didn't actually read or hear of this on broadcast news. Just saw the post above and like Pavlov's dog, responded.
    - From my beer koozie

- the rydster

- Snakebit

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam View Post
    Yeah it appears you didn't actually read or hear of this on broadcast news. Just saw the post above and like Pavlov's dog, responded.
    Actually I did see it the other day. Like I said, nothing new in the hood.

Pathlete and Pedalphile

Read the whole article, the shooter is Hispanic.

And of course you never see any black on white violence

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post

Really? How'd he end up with a moniker like Zimmerman?

[Not saying it couldn't happen; my next-door neighbor is Puerto Rican, but his family name is Danish. He told me it's a fairly common name in PR.]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another Pro-Life victim?
    Do Not Respond List:

NJBiker72
    AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

Call me a Fred
    I do wonder how much local political pull the shooter has. He certainly was not defending his property and, since he actively tracked the unarmed victim, he was not defending himself.

The FBI needs to get involved as the local police seem to have had a rush to judgement.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Really? How'd he end up with a moniker like Zimmerman?

[Not saying it couldn't happen; my next-door neighbor is Puerto Rican, but his family name is Danish. He told me it's a fairly common name in PR.]
    Quote from the article: "Zimmerman is Hispanic and grew up in a multiracial family".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I do wonder how much local political pull the shooter has. He certainly was not defending his property and, since he actively tracked the unarmed victim, he was not defending himself.

The FBI needs to get involved as the local police seem to have had a rush to judgement.
    It seems incredibly odd. Let's say he confronts the kid and it escalates to a fight of some sort and then he shoots him, which at this point appears to be the best case scenario for this guy's defense. Is that really a self-defense situation when you create the confrontation?

Hell, if that's the case you could pretty much off any good ol' red blooded American by goading them into a fight and then shooting them in self-defense.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    starting your thread with silly provocative name calling is unnecessary and beneath you. This issue is beyond politics (what... you think it is just a "liberal" thing to care about because the kid was black?) and yes, many of us were aware of the story.

What's your point?
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    starting your thread with silly provocative name calling is unnecessary and beneath you. This issue is beyond politics (what... you think it is just a "liberal" thing to care about because the kid was black?) and yes, many of us were aware of the story.

What's your point?
    Why, Jay Tee..............what can I say?

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Why, Jay Tee..............what can I say?
    I have no idea. You are the one who started the thread the way you did. Looking for a substantive discussion? Sure didn't seem like it.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    I have no idea. You are the one who started the thread the way you did. Looking for a substantive discussion? Sure didn't seem like it.
    I am humbled and repentant.

waterproof*
    I hope the kid's family get some sharp lawyers...

My Mom and Dad did crimewatch patrol for a few years. The cops who ran the program were very clear, no guns for the civilians, even if you have a ccw, leave it home, no exceptions etc.

Seems even if the criminal case against this guy falls thru (and I hope the truth comes out) then the family has a pretty good civil case. Not that that would reverse the tragedy.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member

So what?

Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post

Very little black on white violence. Always black on black, mostly gangs.

This shooter was a damn vigilante. He keyed on this black teenager walking down the street, snap judgment, "He's a criminal, up to no good!" Freaking outrageous!

The mindset is still here. You just revealed it. I don't care if its white or Hispanic, the ignorant belief that young black men are a threat until shown otherwise is racist. That's behind way too many police killings of innocent blacks, totally misreading them as a threat, because of ingrained prejudice.

I've walked, biked and driven through black neighborhoods in NYC, DC, and cities and towns in East Texas, and not once have I been threatened. On the contrary, I've been treated with kindness and respect not typical of white communities, whether trailer trash or middle class. I've had incidents with whites several times acting uptight by my presence, and I'm white!

I'd suggest riding your bike through the "worst" areas in your city to overcome ASSUMPTIONS that aren't true, that are, whether one likes to admit it or not, racist.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Very little black on white violence. Always black on black, mostly gangs.

This shooter was a damn vigilante. He keyed on this black teenager walking down the street, snap judgment, "He's a criminal, up to no good!" Freaking outrageous!

The mindset is still here. You just revealed it. I don't care if its white or Hispanic, the ignorant belief that young black men are a threat until shown otherwise is racist. That's behind way too many police killings of innocent blacks, totally misreading them as a threat, because of ingrained prejudice.

I've walked, biked and driven through black neighborhoods in NYC, DC, and cities and towns in East Texas, and not once have I been threatened. On the contrary, I've been treated with kindness and respect not typical of white communities, whether trailer trash or middle class. I've had incidents with whites several times acting uptight by my presence, and I'm white!

I'd suggest riding your bike through the "worst" areas in your city to overcome ASSUMPTIONS that aren't true, that are, whether one likes to admit it or not, racist.
    I was replying to Milk-Bones post about white on black violence. He made it sound like the shooter was white. Just pointing out the the shooter was Hispanic, not white.

I don't know where you come to the conclusions that I was assuming anything. I don't think color has anything to do with violence.

He obviously has a problem with color.

Not ASSUMING anything.

And what is the racist comment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast