Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378

    ACORN video all lies

    The unedited video is now available, and it proves that in all important details ACORN performed its functions appropriately, down to trying to collect incriminating information on the supposed pimp and his plan to smuggle young girls into the country and reporting it to police.

    Even the outlandish clothing purportedly worn into the ACORN office was faked.

    Perhaps most interesting is how FOX presented the lies and blew them out of all proportion--truly a font of lies.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    The unedited video is now available
    Link?

  3. #3
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,584
    I guess they were just applying those situational ethics the libs like so much
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    I guess they were just applying those situational ethics the libs like so much

    They were just lying. They were just believed.

  6. #6
    Low rep power
    Reputation: saf-t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,192
    It would be really nice to see this get even 10% of the play that the original story did. Of course, it never works that way.....

  7. #7
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,460
    .
    .


  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nealric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,297
    I think it was clear from the beginning that the conservative establishment had a somewhat bizarre fixation on bringing Acorn down.

    While I would never have call acorn a saintly operation, there is simply no way it would have survived as long as it did if it was as corrupt as the conservatives claimed it was.

  9. #9
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,460
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric

    I think it was clear from the beginning that the conservative establishment had a somewhat bizarre fixation on bringing Acorn down.

    While I would never have call acorn a saintly operation, there is simply no way it would have survived as long as it did if it was as corrupt as the conservatives claimed it was.
    Acorn apparently pushed for living wage laws in several states and the next step was corporations paying Rick Berman to run various anti-Acorn operations.

    as for the GOP, their opposition to Acorn is pretty simple--they register minority and low income folks to vote (google "vote caging" some time).

    all this gets funnelled through talk radio and FOX "news", and cultural conservatives get riled up that "welfare queens" and "loafers" are "on the goverment teat", etc.

    there's a lot of race-baiting involved, and the very word "Acorn" is basic dog-whistle politics.

    as for Acorn, they seem to be bumblers, but the right sees them as a huge, nefarious group pulling off all kinds of conspiracies--yet, at the same time, they celebrate Acorn's downfall at the hand of some prankster kid's videos.
    .
    .

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    The unedited video is now available, and it proves that in all important details ACORN performed its functions appropriately, down to trying to collect incriminating information on the supposed pimp and his plan to smuggle young girls into the country and reporting it to police.

    Even the outlandish clothing purportedly worn into the ACORN office was faked.

    Perhaps most interesting is how FOX presented the lies and blew them out of all proportion--truly a font of lies.

    This is B.S. Once again, you totally get it wrong.

    The Cal. Attorney General (Jerry Brown!!!) reviewed the unedited video as part of his investigation into ACORN. It shows that in a few cases, the ACORN staffers did what you say. Where you get it wrong is in trying to turn those exceptions into the rule.

    You can find the report here:

    http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/pre...orn_report.pdf


    The recordings establish ACORN employees across the country were willing to discuss with O’Keefe and Giles their plan to conduct a prostitution business, and a few even made suggestions for disguising profits and avoiding detection by law enforcement agencies. The most offensive conversations occurred outside California.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur
    .
    .


    Rachel Maddow!

    Now there's an objective journalist.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy
    Rachel Maddow!

    Now there's an objective journalist.

    She shows the UNedited version. You prefer the edited version?

  13. #13
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,460
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy

    Rachel Maddow!

    Now there's an objective journalist.
    I don't think she's ever claimed to be a journalist.

    media criticism is a good thing, so have at it--but completely misunderstanding someone's role, in the media, isn't the best way to start out.
    .
    .

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy

    Anyone with questions can simply read the report above.

    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...cdf8cbbf06dc4f
    Last edited by BadHabit; 04-07-2010 at 12:27 PM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    She shows the UNedited version. You prefer the edited version?

    There are videos from all over the country. Does she show all of them or only the ones she wants you to see? Does she show you the entire video or only part of it?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy
    There are videos from all over the country. Does she show all of them or only the ones she wants you to see? Does she show you the entire video or only part of it?
    She showed the video that Fox did not want us to see.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,251
    First pargraph of conclusion section of Jerry Brown's report:

    The video recordings evidence a serious and glaring deficit in management, governance and accountability within the ACORN organization. It is both disturbing and offensive that ACORN employees in different and far-flung offices were willing to engage in such conversations. ACORN’s conduct suggests an organizational ethos at odds with the norms of American society. Empowering and serving low-and moderate-income families cannot be squared with counseling and encouraging illegal activities.This is particularly so given that ACORN received government grant funds and the support of major charitable foundations and thousands of members.

    Simply because what ACORN did was not illigal doesn't make right.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Jett

    Simply because what ACORN did was not illigal doesn't make right.

    Doesn't make it a very big deal, that's for sure.

    Everyone should read the report, rather than cherry picking from it.

    ACORN is cleared of wrongdoing and the edited video is blasted as intentionally misportraying.



    "It is both disturbing and offensive that [Fox] employees in different and far-flung offices were willing to engage in such [distortions].
    [Fox]’s conduct suggests an organizational ethos at odds with the norms of American society."
    Last edited by BadHabit; 04-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.

  19. #19
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,584
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy
    This is B.S. Once again, you totally get it wrong.

    The Cal. Attorney General (Jerry Brown!!!) reviewed the unedited video as part of his investigation into ACORN. It shows that in a few cases, the ACORN staffers did what you say. Where you get it wrong is in trying to turn those exceptions into the rule.

    You can find the report here:

    http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/pre...orn_report.pdf


    The recordings establish ACORN employees across the country were willing to discuss with O’Keefe and Giles their plan to conduct a prostitution business, and a few even made suggestions for disguising profits and avoiding detection by law enforcement agencies. The most offensive conversations occurred outside California.
    D'OH!
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,720

    Ha!

    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy
    Rachel Maddow!

    Now there's an objective journalist.
    you actually think she's a journalist...now that's pretty funny...as much as Beck is a journalist.
    Last edited by bahueh; 04-07-2010 at 03:57 PM.

  21. #21
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26,990
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur
    .


    Acorn apparently pushed for living wage laws in several states and the next step was corporations paying Rick Berman to run various anti-Acorn operations.

    as for the GOP, their opposition to Acorn is pretty simple--they register minority and low income folks to vote (google "vote caging" some time).

    all this gets funnelled through talk radio and FOX "news", and cultural conservatives get riled up that "welfare queens" and "loafers" are "on the goverment teat", etc.

    there's a lot of race-baiting involved, and the very word "Acorn" is basic dog-whistle politics.

    as for Acorn, they seem to be bumblers, but the right sees them as a huge, nefarious group pulling off all kinds of conspiracies--yet, at the same time, they celebrate Acorn's downfall at the hand of some prankster kid's videos.
    .
    .
    You forgot one crucial thing: Acorn is the favorite bogeyman of the right when they're trying to deflect the election fraud that occurred in 2000 and 2004.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

  22. #22
    Number 2 on the course.
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,405
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy
    The Cal. Attorney General (Jerry Brown!!!) reviewed the unedited video as part of his investigation into ACORN.
    Now there's an objective politiian.

    To religion and guns, add straws.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh
    you actually think she's a journalist...now that's pretty funny...as much as Beck is a journalist.
    No, I don't think she's a journalist. The point of my comment wasn't "objective" journalist, it was "objective journalist". I could have made it clearer.

    The comparison to Beck is very relevant to my comment.

    I find it really funny that Bricoleur (who has hyperventilated about Beck as much as anyone else on this forum) would choose to use a Maddow clip to prove a point.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh_boy

    I find it really funny that Bricoleur (who has hyperventilated about Beck as much as anyone else on this forum) would choose to use a Maddow clip to prove a point.

    Might have been me. But the clip was just a link to the unedited video. Took me awhile to find it elsewhere, or maybe you showed me where it was.

    Re: Rachel--that is typical of her approach. She uses the words of right wingers against them. Plays it straight that way. No invention; no blackboards with arrows; no finding meaning in architectural details; no prophecies of doom, etc.

    Her guests are of high stature and amazingly on topic. Last night she had the publisher of "Mine Safety and Health News"--someone who pretty much knows all there is to know about Don Blankenship. The publisher called the situation at the mine over the past year "unbelievable." Very interesting. Not accompanied by any accusations of capitalist murders, etc. Extremely informative.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    ACORN is cleared of wrongdoing and the edited video is blasted as intentionally misportraying.
    The report says that the ACORN staff didn't do anything illegal.

    That's because:

    The complete and unedited recordings made by O’Keefe and Giles establish that the four California ACORN employees discussed with the couple their plan to conduct a prostitution business, which they described to three of the employees as using captive underage girls who were illegal immigrants. Despite the criminality of the hypothetical conduct discussed, none of the California ACORN employees committed, solicited or conspired to commit any criminal acts. Based on all the evidence now known, none of these employees said or did anything that was, in light of all the circumstances, illegal. Because O’Keefe and Giles’s criminal plans were themselves a ruse, one cannot be criminally complicit in those plans. In order to be liable as an aider and abettor, the perpetrators (in this case, O’Keefe and Giles) must have actually committed the planned or underlying crime. (See CALCRIM No. 401; People v. Perez (2005) 35 Cal.4th 1219, 1225.) Similarly, conspiracy culpability would require a finding that not only the ACORN employee, but also O’Keefe and Giles (the coconspirators), intended to enter into an agreement and intended to commit the target crime of that agreement. (CALCRIM No. 415; People v. Vargas (2001) 91 Cal.App.4th 506, 551.)

    In other words, because O'Keefe and Giles were making it up, the ACORN staff couldn't have broken the law.

    Does that mean the report cleared ACORN from any wrongdoing?

    Hardly. First of all, as I had reported earlier, ACORN staff (most outside of Cal.) discussed the prostitution plans (including bringing in under-age girls) and in some cases advised how to avoid detection from law enforcement.

    In addition:

    SUMMARY OF INVESTIGATIVE FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS

    ...

    The recordings establish ACORN employees across the country were willing to discuss with O’Keefe and Giles their plan to conduct a prostitution business, and a few even made suggestions for disguising profits and avoiding detection by law enforcement agencies. The most offensive conversations occurred outside California.

    Although highly inappropriate, the evidence does not show that the ACORN employees in California violated state criminal laws in connection with their conversations with O’Keefe and Giles.

    ...

    The San Diego ACORN office most likely violated state civil laws designed to protect personal information, when it disposed of documents with confidential information about its employees, members, and individuals in the community it served. These violations may result in private litigation by the victims if they were injured by the disclosures.

    The California Secretary of State discovered four instances of possible voter registration fraud in San Diego in connection with the 2008 election. These cases have been examined by the Secretary of State’s Office and referred to the local district attorney. The district attorney’s office investigated and has filed no criminal charges. We found no allegations or evidence of actual fraudulent votes being cast.

    At the inception of our investigation, ACORN and 18 affiliates were delinquent in registering or filing reports with the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts. In response to notices from the Registry, all 19 of those entities have now either cured the delinquencies or forfeited their corporate status in California.

    ...

    ACORN did not file its 2007 tax form with the Franchise Tax Board. The Board will take appropriate action.

    Although ACORN’s successor organization in California, ACCE, emphasizes that it is no longer part of ACORN, it is run by the same people, raising concerns about its ability to cure the defects in the organization. ACCE is organized as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation. As a result, its operations will be subject to more oversight by this Office and we will scrutinize its future activities.

    ACORN failed to implement internal controls and procedures sufficient to account for and protect charitable assets held in California as required by California law. This lack of appropriate infrastructure raises concerns about ACORN’s use of its charitable funds and grants. However, we found no complaints from any California agency or private foundation that ACORN had misused funds granted and supervised by the agency or foundation. The Lousiana Attorney General and the IRS are investigating ACORN’s finances and use of charitable and grant funds. We will continue to closely monitor those investigations for evidence of illegal activity in California

    Yet you start a thread saying that the videos were "all lies" and that ACORN acted appropriately.

    What are you smoking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook