Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Afghan womens cycling team

Afghan women bike racers train in secret - Video on NBCNews.com

trying to break an image while going rogue. You'll have to thank a mountain biker also
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

banned
    NBC news always likes to put a spin on a story and not be forthcoming. Their days of cycling are numbered once the Taliban regains control over the cities, and they will. These women will be whipped or stoned to death if they do not stop cycling. So much for our Nation Building. NBC news left that part out. Happy, happy....

irony intended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    NBC news always likes to put a spin on a story and not be forthcoming. Their days of cycling are numbered once the Taliban regains control over the cities, and they will. These women will be whipped or stoned to death if they do not stop cycling. So much for our Nation Building. NBC news left that part out. Happy, happy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sisophous is right, sadly enough. Soon as NATO leaves, back to 1999 we go. What a waste.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

irony intended
    So you guys are saying they shouldn't even be riding now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    Sisophous is right, sadly enough. Soon as NATO leaves, back to 1999 we go. What a waste.
    You mean 1199.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    So you guys are saying they shouldn't even be riding now?
    I agree with the others.... those brave women will be whipped, beaten, or out-right shot in the head. But should they quit? No... and I hope they have many, many others willing to fight the good fight... and die beside them. So sad.

Banned forever.....or not
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    I think you mean 1399.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is up with those men not wanting women to be equal? What are they afraid of?
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post

WTF is up with those men not wanting women to be equal? What are they afraid of?
    Their inadequacies
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by w-g View Post
    Their inadequacies
    Wow, okay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ....WTF is up with those men not wanting women to be equal? What are they afraid of?
    Do you really think its that simple? Is that as deep and complex as Internet forums get?

If that is as in-depth a look as humanity gets in a free, open, and more-or-less anonymous environment.... among the educated and economically privileged.... those women are nothing but the pedaling dead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    That's a cool link, thanks for sharing. I tend to think that the people in places like that don't dream. I think they don't have feelings. I think they don't want to do fun things. Still this story says that none of that is true. Just because you think something will fail is no reason to not try at all. I would rather live a few days happy, knowing I tried to make some change happen. I guess you all are just meant to live in the USA where everything is given to you for free.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross_Reference View Post
    Wow, okay.

'splain to me this response. Just to be clear, I am referencing the Taliban men, not the riders.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

Dr. Buzz Killington
    When I saw this thread's title, I got the image of some woman in a hijab or burka doing a wind tunnel test. That's some major drag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    'splain to me this response. Just to be clear, I am referencing the Taliban men, not the riders.
    So... would it also be the "Taliban men" that are leading the "Occupy Movement"? Or do you think that somehow this is all processed in different parts of the brain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Ah no, I thought it was you yourself saying that. My mistake, carry on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    WTF is up with those men not wanting women to be equal?
    How about the obvious answer: centuries old ancient culture that has been set up that way from the very beginning or almost from the very beginning. Not even mentioning that it has strong religious underpinnings.

Those very men are probably wondering about your cultural and religious setup (not your personally, but the general "your") in exactly the same way you are wondering about theirs.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben View Post
    That's a cool link, thanks for sharing. I tend to think that the people in places like that don't dream. I think they don't have feelings. I think they don't want to do fun things. Still this story says that none of that is true. Just because you think something will fail is no reason to not try at all. I would rather live a few days happy, knowing I tried to make some change happen. I guess you all are just meant to live in the USA where everything is given to you for free.
    It's easy to think that, due to all the doom and gloom our media reports for that area. It gets great ratings.

Usually the motivational, happy, etc stuff is tucked at the end of the program, after a viewer attention span is worn out, and tends to go channel flipping, so people tend to miss this stuff. It's just the way the world works
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

banned

Maybe the Taliban do not want to be emasculated like American men have become. The rest of the world moreover are not like American men. In Afghanistan.....No Diane Feinsteins, no Hillary Clintons, no Nancy Pelosis, sounds good to me.

The Taliban got some things right, give them some credit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    How about the obvious answer: centuries old ancient culture that has been set up that way from the very beginning or almost from the very beginning. Not even mentioning that it has strong religious underpinnings.
    Some centuries ago... that was called Persia. And was the hub of the Silk Road... the center of wealth and all that wealth provides. A long way from where it has fallen to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    It's easy to think that, due to all the doom and gloom our media reports for that area. It gets great ratings.

Usually the motivational, happy, etc stuff is tucked at the end of the program, after a viewer attention span is worn out, and tends to go channel flipping, so people tend to miss this stuff. It's just the way the world works
    True, I see occasional programs on Afghan girls' soccer, basketball, volleyball leagues. People don't hear about it much so they don't know that girls' schools have reopened over the past decade. Some brave young people over there- witness 14 year old Malala from neighboring Pakistan shot by Taliban for attending school. They have my admiration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Their inadequacies
    That's what I was thinking. Also, a good way to keep their women as slaves for them. Do they really want a wife as an equal partner, or do they want a "mother" that they can sleep with?
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Dr. Buzz Killington

It's another example of religion poisoning everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    It's another example of religion poisoning everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast