RoadBikeReview Member

Another NATO in command story

This illustrates why America should never enter into an alliance if we deem intervention is necessary. Isn't this what happened in Bosnia, sitting around arguing politics and procrastinating while genocide took place? I don't think Libya is even close to Bosnia, libya is a civil war and we picked a side. Now it seems homefront politics have softened Obama's resolve. God damn it, if he thought it was worth doing he should disregard the personal consequences and friggin do it. I think it was wrong but I'm not the President. If he was not sure that intervention was right he should have stayed the hell out of it. For Christ's sake, fish or cut bait and stop hiding behind this stupid NATO operation crap.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110415/...eign_ministers

NATO's top military commander, U.S. Navy Adm. James Stavridis, has said there is a growing need for precision attack aircraft to avoid civilian casualties as Gadhafi's forces camouflage themselves and hide in populated areas to avoid Western airstrikes.

American officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the details, said the commander is looking for about eight to 10 additional planes.

The alliance is struggling to overcome differences over the Libya mission, with Britain and France seeking more strikes by other NATO nations, particularly the U.S. The U.S. says it sees no need to change what it calls a supporting role in the campaign even though it has still been flying a third of the missions and many other NATO nations have rules preventing them from striking Gadhafi's forces except in self-defense.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_libya

The leaders of Britain, France and the United States said in a joint newspaper article that they would press on with their three-week-old air campaign until Gaddafi left power.

"It is unthinkable that someone who has tried to massacre his own people can play a part in their future government."

The suffering of Misrata is heaping pressure on Western allies to step up air attacks to stop the bombardment, but NATO is split over providing more planes for the task.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague and NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen voiced optimism that allies would supply more combat planes, but Italy immediately ruled out ordering its aircraft to open fire.

The clear intention of Britain, France and the United States to achieve regime change in Libya goes beyond the explicit terms of a United Nations resolution authorizing air strikes to protect civilians and other allies have misgivings.

In their strongly worded article, published on both sides of the Atlantic, British Prime Minister David Cameron, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and U.S. President Barack Obama said leaving Gaddafi in power would be an "unconscionable betrayal."

Italy is out. We are knee deep in this crap. Hope Obama is ready to get congressional approval because his time is running out.

Get me to In&Out
    Funny how they say Gadaffi is murdering civilians. Last time I checked, said civilians were also the enemy driving his tanks. For that matter, some are even soldiers who have deserted with their weapons. To me they are valid targets for his military.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.