Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast
    Fake President

Anti-LGBT Alabama Judge Roy Moore Suspended For Life.

Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, who ordered state judges to defy the SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage, has been suspended for the remainder of his term, which runs through early 2019.

Moore can't then run for reelection, since Alabama has an age limit of 70 for ppl to be elected or appointed judges.

So, the 9-0 ruling by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary that suspended Moore effectively removes him from the Alabama bench for life.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Buh-bye, Roy.

Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore suspended for rest of term | AL.com
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    9-0!

Scoreboard biatch!

Hahahahahahahahah Good riddance

Fake President
    To be fair, Moore is appealing. That's his one remaining lifeline.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So Alabama apparently wants to move into the 20th century! Can the 21st Century be far behind?

Although to be fair, I suspect if a vote were taken, going back to the 19th century would win.

Disclaimer: I realize that many progressive people live in Alabama. But why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    honestly this guy should of been disbarred a long time ago from last time he was kicked out of office for going against the supreme court.

He still needs to be disbarred as he clearly will break the code of ethics for lawyers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Huge Sums Are Pouring Into Judicial Elections, But That Would Never Affect the Courts, Right? | Mother Jones

It is scary that there could be more wackos like Jones in the future.

Ricardo Cabeza
    He was right to defy that ruling. It was unconstitutional.

Marriage is a state issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    To be fair, Moore is appealing. That's his one remaining lifeline.
    Appealing to the Alabama Supreme Court, of which he is the Chief Justice. Wouldn't all the justices on that court have to recuse themselves?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post

The SCOTUS and the Alabama Court of the Judiciary saw it differently than that. And the SCOTUS is the highest court in the land.

Apparently some rights are non-negotiable, i.e. you don't get to vote on whether someone else has the right to marry (although gay marriage was winning at the ballot box anyway, in blue and purple states).

And, Roy Moore seemed to feel that the law was whatever he personally felt it should be, according to his personal religious beliefs.

I'll go with the SCOTUS' ruling over that, gladly. It's a done deal in any case, gay marriage is the law of the land now. And it hasn't caused Armageddon, despite the howls of those who insisted calamity would ensue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    not any more it ain't. and he was wrong, that's why he's history.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    So Alabama apparently wants to move into the 20th century! Can the 21st Century be far behind?

Although to be fair, I suspect if a vote were taken, going back to the 19th century would win.

Disclaimer: I realize that many progressive people live in Alabama. But why?
    Alabama is like Virginia. Before the Fifities, VA was THE SOUTH, right across the Potomac River. The Robt. E. Lee mansion still sits on that hill overlooking the mall from across the river, a counterpoint to the Capitol. 18th century Alexandria was an overpopulated negro slum. White boys wouldn't stop there, ever, but you had to go through it to get to Mt. Vernon. Virginians still had gentlemanly southern accents and were proud of their Confederate heritage. Dot com geeks from California ruined it all in the 90s, here to cash in on govt. contracts, defense mainly. They're cutting edge progressives, identifying beyond Virginia parochialism. Virginia used to be solidly conservative, Republican, and before that Southern Democrats. Now its a swing state. Last two elections, Obama won the state.

The same is happening in Alabama and Georgia. Montgomery is becoming more liberal as out of state businesses move in and bring in educated professionals. Atlanta has always been an oasis of liberalism in the midst of the "defeated South."

How could it be any different? Progress knows no bounds. It changes everything. The strong survive. The weak die off.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 09-30-2016 at 05:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    This lunatic is the new Senatorial Candidate for the GOP

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    This lunatic is the new Senatorial Candidate for the GOP

Show's how far off the deep end Today's Extreme GOP™ has gone. Just sad that they'd nominate a nutjob like this for the US Senate.

Odds are he'll win the general election come December too... 'cuz, Alabama.

Which might be okay for Dems, actually. Moore should do a lot of crazy things once in office, i.e. will be 'the gift that keeps on giving'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I'm gonna speculate here: So Justice Moore appeals the decision. Assume that delays his suspension. Assume the immediate suspension would void any pension benefits. So, by appealing the suspension, if it delays his suspension, in the interim he chooses to retire instead, he retains his pension benefits.

All just speculation here, but that's how many play the game.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I'm gonna speculate here: So Justice Moore appeals the decision. Assume that delays his suspension. Assume the immediate suspension would void any pension benefits. So, by appealing the suspension, if it delays his suspension, in the interim he chooses to retire instead, he retains his pension benefits.

All just speculation here, but that's how many play the game.
    Why do that? Just take your crazy to the Senate. So you know this thread is a dredge from the past.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Show's how far off the deep end Today's Extreme GOP™ has gone. Just sad that they'd nominate a nutjob like this for the US Senate.

Odds are he'll win the general election come December too... 'cuz, Alabama.
    ^^^^ THIS

More evidence that a large percentage of folks in that part of the country are bigoted theocrats. Do they realize that their world view is more attuned to some Middle East countries than it is to American ideals?
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

Not Banned
    why it has started a war within the GOP. The smarter half sees this as a bad direction, the moreso if candidates like this win primaries in swing states
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 09-28-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    If he wins the election, how can he swear to uphold the Constitution, when he has stated God's law supersedes man's law?
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean2 View Post
    If he wins the election, how can he swear to uphold the Constitution, when he has stated God's law supersedes man's law?
    I wanted to know the same thing. He has twice before ignored his oath and has stated he believes gods law, whatever that is, is above the constitution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    And GOP supporters still argue that the GOP is not the party of hate and bigotry.

if this guy gets elected they (GOP) is just adding more fuel to the fire and proving yet again that a vote for GOP = a vote for hate and bigotry.
    Last edited by timeless; 09-27-2017 at 07:37 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why do I think, even with Moore, the Democrats will still lose?
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    It's Alabama

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    It's Alabama
    Good excuse for the Democrats to not spend one cent on that election. A waste of donor money unless it goes to purchase "We surrender" bumper stickers.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Because it is a solid red state and the general election is a dog and pony show.

People vote mostly if there is an r or a d by name.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    Because it is a solid red state and the general election is a dog and pony show.

People vote mostly if there is an r or a d by name.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Then the Democrats shouldn't spend one dollar on the campaign. Declare defeat and move on.

Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast