Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Armed Citizen Confronts Woman's Attacker Outside School - KIM-POSSIBLE!!!

Armed passerby confronts woman's attacker outside school, says SAPD | kens5.com San Antonio

This story is FALSE because:

A) The CHL holder must have shot innocent bystanders and murdered children.
    B) The officer should have mistaken the CHL holder as the criminal holding a gun and a gun battle should have ensued, slaughtering 9 civilians.
    C) The CHL holder must have shot himself in the foot because they are untrained.

Why can't the media get stories straight? GAWD!

RoadBikeReview Member
    who's Kim?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    "The charges may be upgraded depending on whether the victim survives.."

WTF is wrong with our legal system? If a guy clearly tries to commit a murder, charge him for murder! Why would he face a lesser charge for failing?
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The rescuer will probably be charged with carrying a firearm too near a school.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    who's Kim?

It is a sad indictment of myself for which I blame, TMZ, Egotastic, Thesuperficial et al...that I read who's Kim and the first one that springs to mind is...

Kardashian.

I hate myself.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member

When will gun supporters

learn that anecdotal evidence such as this is scoffed at by the gun hating libs. This isolated incident proves nothing.
    +1 for the NRA!

Guns save lives.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    This isolated incident proves nothing.
    Exactly.

As do these:

Police: Man shoots wife, self in Newport News | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Ohio man shoots wife of 45 years in hospital ICU - Yahoo! News

HPD: Husband shoots wife, then kills self during SWAT standoff in northwest Houston | khou.com Houston

Elderly St. Pete man shoots wife, yells at 10 News camera | Video | wtsp.com

Husband shoots wife, daughter and daughter's boyfriend in Mission : News : ValleyCentral.com

Man accidentally shoots wife in bed | Newswatch | a mySA.com blog

Stinky shot: Texas woman aims for skunk, accidentally shoots husband - U.S. News

Police: The Dalles woman shoots husband, then fatally shoots herself | OregonLive.com

Phoenix Woman Shoots Husband In The Head, Falls Asleep In Custody

Of course, when you look at ALL the data, a gun is far more likely to be used by the owner for a murder, a suicide, or kill someone accidentally than to be used in defense of self or others. You know, if you want to get beyond anecdotes

In 1998, a paper from the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded “Based on the evidence currently available, it appears that gun ownership is associated with a net increase in the risk of death for a typical individual.” A 2004 study from the American Journal of Epidemiology said:

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home [. . .]. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home [. . .].

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

The American Journal of Public Health published an article in 2009, which said:

After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P < .05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P < .05).

Conclusions. On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. Although successful defensive gun uses occur each year, the probability of success may be low for civilian gun users in urban areas. Such users should reconsider their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures.

One article published in 2011 by the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine (which isn’t indexed by PubMed) had several damning things to say. The article, written by David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health, summarized the scientific literature on benefits and detriments of keeping a gun at home. He writes:

For most contemporary Americans, scientific studies indicate that the health risk of a gun in the home is greater than the benefit. The evidence is overwhelming for the fact that a gun in the home is a risk factor for completed suicide and that gun accidents are most likely to occur in homes with guns. There is compelling evidence that a gun in the home is a risk factor for intimidation and for killing women in their homes.

On the benefit side, there are fewer studies, and there is no credible evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms or that a gun in the home reduces the likelihood or severity of injury during an altercation or break-in. Thus, groups such as the American Academy of Pediatrics urge parents not to have guns in the home.

Regarding the statement about killing women, it appears that there is a gender differences at work. ”Whereas most men are murdered away from home,” wrote Hemenway, “most children, older adults, and women are murdered at home.” Women tended to be murdered by a spouse or a close relative, and “the increased risk of homicide from having a gun in the home was attributable to these homicides.” Lethal assaults were 2.7 times more likely to occur if a gun was present, suggesting that the idea of guns being used for protection is evidently mostly a myth.

It seems that in pretty much every case, the presence of guns positively correlates with injury or death.
    Does Owning a Gun Increase or Decrease Safety? Science Answers | Skeptikai.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But there are only two on your list that were not intended targets, or so the shooters say. That wife in bed and either the skunk or the husband in the other incident, depending on who you can believe.

So much for you can't kill anyone without years of specialized training.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    It is a sad indictment of myself for which I blame, TMZ, Egotastic, Thesuperficial et al...that I read who's Kim and the first one that springs to mind is...

Kardashian.

I hate myself.
    You need to go stand in a corner and think about what you have done.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit05 View Post
    Armed passerby confronts woman's attacker outside school, says SAPD | kens5.com San Antonio

This story is FALSE because:

A) The CHL holder must have shot innocent bystanders and murdered children.
    B) The officer should have mistaken the CHL holder as the criminal holding a gun and a gun battle should have ensued, slaughtering 9 civilians.
    C) The CHL holder must have shot himself in the foot because they are untrained.

Why can't the media get stories straight? GAWD!
    Because one person attacking another in broad daylight is EXACTLY the same a one nutter with an automatic weapon firing in a dark movie theater.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post

I know, I know, but there is a part of me that just keeps wondering.

Did Lindsey Lohan steal the jewelry and isn't going to jail because the dude is obsessed with her.

Right...I will be in the corner.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    so no one knows who Kim is?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member

The weapon used in the theater shooting

Because one person attacking another in broad daylight is EXACTLY the same a one nutter with an automatic weapon firing in a dark movie theater.
    was a "semi-automatic" weapon, not an automatic weapon. Hugh, hugh difference.
    +1 for the NRA!

Guns save lives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now Snap, is that really a good idea? You already know how his mind works when he lets it have it's way.

Misfit Toy
    And that somehow changes the OP's idiotic post how?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

RIP Funny Penguin

Who is Hugh Difference? And why does he say his first name like James Bond says his last name...twice?

My name is Hugh...Hugh Difference.

Bond, James Bond.

Christ now I don't know who Kim or Hugh is? This thread is very confusing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Who is Hugh Difference? And why does he say his first name like James Bond says his last name...twice?

My name is Hugh...Hugh Difference.

Bond, James Bond.

Christ now I don't know who Kim or Hugh is? This thread is very confusing.
    Don't worry about it, they're socks. I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In other news: The random public shooting-du-jour took place today in NJ. Gunman, a disgruntled employee, opens fire in a supermarket.

So add "disgruntled employees" to the list of those most likely to use a gun. They don't usually go for baseball bats or knives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    In other news: The random public shooting-du-jour took place today in NJ. Gunman, a disgruntled employee, opens fire in a supermarket.

So add "disgruntled employees" to the list of those most likely to use a gun. They don't usually go for baseball bats or knives.
    Maybe we need a law limiting their choices? Maybe if we outlawed guns like Mexico..........................

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, things went completely right this time and the bad guy got caught. But how often does that really happen in life, that things go completely right and it all ends well?

My question to the original poster is this, and this is an honest question, when was the last time you were in an altercation that ended in violence? Or in this case a very very highly charged situation? My reason for asking that is that i arrested people for 3 years, and let me tell you when it went wrong it went wrong very quickly. Even with an amazing team, tons of training, we still were suprised from time to time by what people did to fight us.

Now thank god it was all hand to hand, no knives or guns involved. But the human nature is still the same. The bad guy allways knows when a fight is going to break out, cause he is the one going to start it. Therefore you are allways at a initial disadvantage.

In my three years i was involved with just shy of 1000 arrests. SO i had almost a arrest a day to practice my craft. And things still go wrong. How much training have these people who carry guns had, and continue to train in? Yes he got the bad guy, but he just as easily could have hit other people.

Its all one thing to sit and watch movies and cop shows and say "i can do that". guess what, its a myth, a story, it doesnt happen that way. Yes, this case ended well, the armed citizen was the hero and thankfully seemed to have the training and the mental facilities to keep his calm in the face of a knife weilding person.
    There are just too many stories of this going wrong, not right.

BIll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Yes, things went completely right this time and the bad guy got caught. But how often does that really happen in life, that things go completely right and it all ends well?

My question to the original poster is this, and this is an honest question, when was the last time you were in an altercation that ended in violence? Or in this case a very very highly charged situation? My reason for asking that is that i arrested people for 3 years, and let me tell you when it went wrong it went wrong very quickly. Even with an amazing team, tons of training, we still were suprised from time to time by what people did to fight us.

Now thank god it was all hand to hand, no knives or guns involved. But the human nature is still the same. The bad guy allways knows when a fight is going to break out, cause he is the one going to start it. Therefore you are allways at a initial disadvantage.

In my three years i was involved with just shy of 1000 arrests. SO i had almost a arrest a day to practice my craft. And things still go wrong. How much training have these people who carry guns had, and continue to train in? Yes he got the bad guy, but he just as easily could have hit other people.

Its all one thing to sit and watch movies and cop shows and say "i can do that". guess what, its a myth, a story, it doesnt happen that way. Yes, this case ended well, the armed citizen was the hero and thankfully seemed to have the training and the mental facilities to keep his calm in the face of a knife weilding person.
    There are just too many stories of this going wrong, not right.

BIll
    I think you are confusing reaction to a situation to police work, we all agree that they are not one and the same. Most people who decide to be armed do not do so to join a police auxiliary. There are times, like this one, where there are no police present. Had this guy not taken a chance and stopped it that lady would likely be dead today. The argument that people shouldn't prepare themselves to fight back because things might go horribly wrong seems short sighted. Things are usually already horribly wrong in these instances.

Just a short review of recent events posted here about civilian samaritans hasn't produced a list of terrible slaughter of innocents either. It seems, on the face of it, those who decide to carry are a little better prepared than is generally credited to them.

The police have a job to do and it's a difficult one. The average CCW permit holder is vastly under qualified to do that job and most don't try to. There is the odd cowboy from time to time but even then they are usually responding to events rather than initiating them such as in a traffic or suspected dui stop.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Don't worry about it, they're socks. I think.

RIP Funny Penguin

Note to self...
    Must buy a pair of those for Mrs. TMB.

Misfit Toy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast