Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Biden: "Look, the Taliban per se is not our enemy. That's critical,"

...and the White House is fully backing Biden's assertion.

Imagine if Perry, Cain, etc... made this assertion....

discuss
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    ...and the White House is fully backing Biden's assertion.

Imagine if Perry, Cain, etc... made this assertion....

discuss
    Do you have a link to this story?

ab aeterno
    Although he is correct that sure is sh!t a stupid statement to make.

Milk was a bad choice.
    Silly Biden. We've always been at war with Eastasia.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Although he is correct that sure is sh!t a stupid statement to make.
    I have not seen the statement in context, so I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks if and when I do see it in context. Based on the bare statement as reported by the OP, I don't think that it is a stupid statement to make. Eventually Afghanistan is going to be run by the Taliban again. The United States either is going to have to build a relationship with the Taliban or treat Afghanistan like Iran. Further, the US cannot leave Afghanistan in the hands of a hostile force without losing face. If the people of Afghanistan democratically pick the Taliban to run their country, we can claim victory so long as we also can claim that we have a relationship with the Taliban. Given that I think that a Taliban victory is inevitable, a statement like Biden's is a step to what I think the United States will need to do down the road -- become "friends" with the Taliban and then try to put a wedge between the Taliban and al-Qaeda, our true enemy.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I have not seen the statement in context, so I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks if and when I do see it in context. Based on the bare statement as reported by the OP, I don't think that it is a stupid statement to make. Eventually Afghanistan is going to be run by the Taliban again. The United States either is going to have to build a relationship with the Taliban or treat Afghanistan like Iran. Further, the US cannot leave Afghanistan in the hands of a hostile force without losing face. If the people of Afghanistan democratically pick the Taliban to run their country, we can claim victory so long as we also can claim that we have a relationship with the Taliban. Given that I think that a Taliban victory is inevitable, a statement like Biden's is a step to what I think the United States will need to do down the road -- become "friends" with the Taliban and then try to put a wedge between the Taliban and al-Qaeda, our true enemy.
    You and I might be able to rationalize why this isn't a bad statement to make but if pundits can just splice the quote to the Taliban isn't our enemy and that becomes a talking point it will really hurt Obama in the election/

Big is relative
    If they refuse to harbor Al Qaeda, then they're not our enemy. We blew up all their stuff in 2001-2002, they can't field an army, so if we negotiate with them, the opening argument should be about how they will turn away from Al Qaeda. The human rights issue should be the next point of discussion.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    doesn't seem like there's much to discuss

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    If they refuse to harbor Al Qaeda, then they're not our enemy.
    They could even be our allies like the Saudis if they play their cards right.

I assume everyone saw the story where the Saudis beheaded some woman for being a witch a couple weeks ago?

Have they stoned anyone to death for adultery this week?

No Crybabies
    I thought Taliban were pretty bad. Substitute "Nazi" for "Taliban," as of 1939, and what then?

Vice President Joe Biden said the Taliban are not our enemy. If so, it makes one wonder what all the killing is about.
    “Look, the Taliban per se is not our enemy,” Mr. Biden stated in an interview last week. “That’s critical.” White House spokesman Jay Carney, in his customary role as clarifier of Mr. Biden’s statements, explained, “It is a simple fact that we went into Afghanistan because of the attack on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. We are there now to ultimately defeat al Qaeda, to stabilize Afghanistan and stabilize it in part so that al Qaeda or other terrorists who have as their aim attacks on the United States cannot establish a foothold again in that country.”

EDITORIAL: Biden's Taliban buddies - Washington Times
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    I thought Taliban were pretty bad. Substitute "Nazi" for "Taliban," as of 1939, and what then?

Vice President Joe Biden said the Taliban are not our enemy. If so, it makes one wonder what all the killing is about.
    “Look, the Taliban per se is not our enemy,” Mr. Biden stated in an interview last week. “That’s critical.” White House spokesman Jay Carney, in his customary role as clarifier of Mr. Biden’s statements, explained, “It is a simple fact that we went into Afghanistan because of the attack on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. We are there now to ultimately defeat al Qaeda, to stabilize Afghanistan and stabilize it in part so that al Qaeda or other terrorists who have as their aim attacks on the United States cannot establish a foothold again in that country.”

EDITORIAL: Biden's Taliban buddies - Washington Times
    then you'd end up with a bag of dumb @ss sh!t.
    why?
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Er, no. Substitute "German people" for "Taliban" and "Hitler's Nazis" for "Al Qaeda" and you might be able to draw some comparisons.

waterproof*
    Of course, a paranoid nut job like me could interpret Biden's statement as a bit of pre-positioning for the next phase of the War on Terror.

Example:
    Statement: the Taliban per se is not our enemy

Left unstated for now: because our enemy is anyone who plots against the US, including US citizens whom we can kill or detain without any due process at all.

Happy Hanukkah!

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry View Post
    They could even be our allies like the Saudis if they play their cards right.

I assume everyone saw the story where the Saudis beheaded some woman for being a witch a couple weeks ago?

Have they stoned anyone to death for adultery this week?
    Foreign policy is about how big of a bite you want to take from a sh!t sandwich. Most of the nations of the world don't have the same level of freedom that the US does and at some level, we have to tolerate it if we expect to conduct trade and build alliances. Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore are three of our most important allies in SE Asia. None of those nations are what you would call a bastion of personal freedoms, but we look past it because we need their partnership. If we choose to only align ourselves with those who mirror the ideas of our nation and cast aside those who do not, other nations (China, Russia, etc) will certainly step in and take our place.
    Retired sailor

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Of course, a paranoid nut job like me could interpret Biden's statement as a bit of pre-positioning for the next phase of the War on Terror.
    Bush: "Either you're with us or you're with the terrorists."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk-Bone View Post
    Bush: "Either you're with us or you're with the terrorists."

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Hopefully in Bush's eye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Man, this ain't no court of law, it's real life and things really are black and white. They can't beat us but we can't whip them, leaving is a draw which is a loss for American superior forces. The key is we will never get all the little kings on the various sacattered piles of rocks to live differently than they have for centuries. Stop splitting hairs and quit shedding our military blood in an effort that never had a chance from the outset. They start that AQ training BS again, bomb the crap out of them. Not just the terrorist camps but their military bases and government buildings. Stop playing patty cake, they ain't ever gonna love us anyhow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Man, this ain't no court of law, it's real life and things really are black and white. They can't beat us but we can't whip them, leaving is a draw which is a loss for American superior forces. The key is we will never get all the little kings on the various sacattered piles of rocks to live differently than they have for centuries. Stop splitting hairs and quit shedding our military blood in an effort that never had a chance from the outset. They start that AQ training BS again, bomb the crap out of them. Not just the terrorist camps but their military bases and government buildings. Stop playing patty cake, they ain't ever gonna love us anyhow.
    Yes wut we ned to du is to nuke them roaches bai puttin a really big microwave over the entire country of afghanistan. This way, they cannot hide in caves or under rocks. We zap the terrorist bugs dead. Rest of middle east will learn wut will happen when they make enemy out of us. We will microwave them like my hungry man dinner. It will be tasty. I want my tax dollars to go towards making that huge microwave come true. Newt 2012.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    Yes wut we ned to du is to nuke them roaches bai puttin a really big microwave over the entire country of afghanistan. This way, they cannot hide in caves or under rocks. We zap the terrorist bugs dead. Rest of middle east will learn wut will happen when they make enemy out of us. We will microwave them like my hungry man dinner. It will be tasty. I want my tax dollars to go towards making that huge microwave come true. Newt 2012.
    Either that or we could just use the "sour grapes" out and establish a peace with honor.

I don't care how they get out, just do it now and I said nothing about nukes. I simply suggest bombing appropriate taregets when it is necessary rather than wringing our hands and whining "Oh dear."