Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Daft Punk built my hotrod

Question Bike-related indicator of economic well-being

I don't know if you all follow bike deals closely, especially places like Chainlove, etc., but I've noticed a fairly dramatic change this year.

I don't know if it is because they are getting larger through the acquisition of Competitive Cyclist, but there seem to be more deals on items that were never on sale to this degree previously. For example, Zipp wheels, Orbeas, SRM, Mavics, Pinarellos, etc.

One possible explanation is that people just aren't spending what they used to spend and companies are re-evaluating their demand curves. In any case, I was thinking about this as just a rough barometer of how well things are going. I just wouldn't expect some of these things to experience such price drops, especially in the summer. I've noticed this at other outlets, which leads me to believe that maybe there is something here.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I am curious if others have observed this as well.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    I don't know if you all follow bike deals closely, especially places like Chainlove, etc., but I've noticed a fairly dramatic change this year.

I don't know if it is because they are getting larger through the acquisition of Competitive Cyclist, but there seem to be more deals on items that were never on sale to this degree previously. For example, Zipp wheels, Orbeas, SRM, Mavics, Pinarellos, etc.

One possible explanation is that people just aren't spending what they used to spend and companies are re-evaluating their demand curves. In any case, I was thinking about this as just a rough barometer of how well things are going. I just wouldn't expect some of these things to experience such price drops, especially in the summer. I've noticed this at other outlets, which leads me to believe that maybe there is something here.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I am curious if others have observed this as well.

It's possible, but it's also towards the tailend of road racing season. This year we had a pretty awesome winter and spring. People were popping up left and right with new bikes in Feb/Mar/April, so I might expect an earlier cool down since everyone has already bought their bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have a bicycle business (that I built, btw) and can tell you that year over year sales are down more than 10% even with prices being discounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    I have a bicycle business (that I built, btw) and can tell you that year over year sales are down more than 10% even with prices being discounted.
    Sorry but if youíve got a business ó you didnít build that. Somebody else made that happen.
    San Antonio, Texas

Interesting to hear (though I am sorry to hear it). Normally, I would expect to see some deals towards the end of the season, but the deals that are appearing this year seem to indicate more than just the usual end-of-season clearance.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Interesting to hear (though I am sorry to hear it). Normally, I would expect to see some deals towards the end of the season, but the deals that are appearing this year seem to indicate more than just the usual end-of-season clearance.

Interesting. I might have to hunt down some deals.

I think PlatyPius owns a bike shop. I'll PM him. It would be interesting to get his thoughts on this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    no offense but this is a bit hand-waive jumbo mumbo.
    since you posted I looked on chainlove on and off. it was mainly good stuff like bandanas, bike racks, compression sleeves etc.
    on other words the usual junk (in which I have found useful stuff now and then).
    We are getting towards the end of the season by the way, my rollers are calling.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro_Assi_07 View Post
    Sorry but if youíve got a business ó you didnít build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Current POTUS is a total Fred compared to the previous POTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    no offense but this is a bit hand-waive jumbo mumbo.
    since you posted I looked on on and off. it was mainly good stuff like bandanas, bike racks, compression sleeves etc.
    on other words the usual junk (in which I have found useful stuff now and then).
    We are getting towards the end of the season by the way, my rollers are calling.
    None taken. There hasn't been anything good today. I was looking at a sample of the last several weeks, not the last several hours. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Shimano is switching to 11sp and current 10sp stuff (wheels for example are not going to be compatible with the new cassette) is going to be "obsolete." You may see steep discounts on 10sp Shimano stuff.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    None taken. There hasn't been anything good today. I was looking at a sample of the last several weeks, not the last several hours. YMMV.

Every time I click on they're selling saddles.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    Every time I click on they're selling saddles.
    They're terrible on Sundays. Don't even bother then. Hardly ever have good deals.

Just FYI, they are now selling Competitive Cyclist's stock of:

Pinarello Prince
    Mavic Ksyrium SLR
    Mavic R-Sys SL
    Zipp 404/808
    Orbea Orca DA

and a few other things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Im not so sure, there used to be two discount sites but now there is only chainlove. Too many Fox Tshirt kind of crap being hawked now IMPO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You did not build it. Someone else did it for you.

Wake up, everybody!

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR wheelset on Chainlove. I expect more Mavic will be making the rounds soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Wake up, everybody!

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR wheelset on Chainlove. I expect more Mavic will be making the rounds soon.
    thanks for the anecdote.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or, more likely, it's an indicator of just how high the markup s on some of this stuff.

That Chainlove can sell a set of $2000 wheels for $1000 says a lot about how overvalued those wheels really are.

I've bought a lot of stuff from steapandcheap and chainlove... it's all been worth exactly what I paid for it. I look at their pricing the same way I look at the pricing from BikesDirect- they may say it's a $2000 bike that they're sellng for $700, but really, it's just a decent $700 bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, holy crap, I did not add links in my post yet they magically appeared... freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Also, holy crap, I did not add links in my post yet they magically appeared... freaky.
    They are added automatically to certain keywords. Ad agencies can contract with site owners to do this.

I agree with you in terms of over-pricing by manufacturers. However, my observation was that, in the past, it appeared that such items would sell more quickly without such high discounts.

I agree that the pricing is obscene though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are added automatically to certain keywords. Ad agencies can contract with site owners to do this.

I agree with you in terms of over-pricing by manufacturers. However, my observation was that, in the past, it appeared that such items would sell more quickly without such high discounts.

I agree that the pricing is obscene though.
    I think the problem is, those items are now seen as old news/last year's fashion. It's not that no one wants to pay 2k for carbon wheels, it's that no one wants to pay 2k for those carbon wheels. "Oh, yeah, the carbones were great 2 years ago, but my new (whatever) are 200g lighter...

Same with the pinarello frames they were hawking a while back- they were the old, bloopy, half-melted looking style of carbon frame. Still a nice frame for sure, but out of fashion compared to the precise, knife-edge creases and graphics you see on today's top bikes. And you can find a frame from taiwan on ebay that looks exactly like that pinarello for $350... even the Taiwanese knock off manufacturers are discounting that style.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    I think the problem is, those items are now seen as old news/last year's fashion. It's not that no one wants to pay 2k for carbon wheels, it's that no one wants to pay 2k for those carbon wheels. "Oh, yeah, the carbones were great 2 years ago, but my new (whatever) are 200g lighter...

Same with the pinarello frames they were hawking a while back- they were the old, bloopy, half-melted looking style of carbon frame. Still a nice frame for sure, but out of fashion compared to the precise, knife-edge creases and graphics you see on today's top bikes. And you can find a frame from taiwan on ebay that looks exactly like that pinarello for $350... even the Taiwanese knock off manufacturers are discounting that style.
    just like the old carbones were sold on chainlove etc. 3-4 years ago at a discount, Pinarello prince, some orbeas. eastons high end clincher when they changed names. look frames have been spotted as well in the past.
    Blows your hair back.

waterproof*
    My personal benchmark is "what will $1000 get on ebay?" and by that standard, prices have come down - back in January, $1k would get a decent used CF/aly bike w/ mostly 105. Now it's getting full CF bikes, brand names, with Ultegra.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    My personal benchmark is "what will $1000 get on ebay?" and by that standard, prices have come down - back in January, $1k would get a decent used CF/aly bike w/ mostly 105. Now it's getting full CF bikes, brand names, with Ultegra.
    Not a bad measure. Bikes on E-Bay are more of a consumer to consumer deal. Those kind of low prices indicate a seller desprite for money (to pay the rent) and not many buyers with money (as they have to pay the rent). Given we are a consumer driven economy, that is telling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Devil's advocate, is this because the market is flooded with CF frames with outdated non electronic, only ten speed having Ultegra?

CF isn't rare anymore and with shimano making radical changes each model year, stuff goes out of date/desirability a lot faster than it used to.

All know is, there's never anything I want on ebay that's in my size and price range... Pugsley wheels, tires and cranks are still the same price they always are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast