bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Bob Novak hit pedestrian washington, DC - tried to flee

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4286279.shtml

bicyclist chases him down and calls police.

----------------
    In 2001, he cursed at a pedestrian on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 13th streets Northwest for allegedly jaywalking.

“’Learn to read the signs, [bodily orifice]!’ Novak snapped before speeding away,” according to an item in The Washington Post’s Reliable Source column.

Novak explained to the paper: "He was crossing on the red light. I really hate jaywalkers. I despise them. Since I don't run the country, all I can do is yell at 'em. The other option is to run 'em over, but as a compassionate conservative, I would never do that."

What it is

after all, he is a compassionate conservative

"Novak, 77, has earned a reputation around the capital as an aggressive driver, easily identified in his convertible sports car.

In 2001, he cursed at a pedestrian on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 13th streets Northwest for allegedly jaywalking.

“’Learn to read the signs, [bodily orifice]!’ Novak snapped before speeding away,” according to an item in The Washington Post’s Reliable Source column.

Novak explained to the paper: "He was crossing on the red light. I really hate jaywalkers. I despise them. Since I don't run the country, all I can do is yell at 'em. The other option is to run 'em over, but as a compassionate conservative, I would never do that."

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    The cyclist (a disinterested third party) says that the 66 year old man was splayed across Novak's windshield. And Novak says he didn't know he hit anyone????

What a jerk.

/anybody wanna bet this is gonna wind up in PO?

haole from the mainland
    Throw the book at him. I really dislike that scumbag.

Speaking of hit & run. I had to go to court as a witness for a hit & run yesterday; the driver had hit my dog (who luckily only got a fat lip) and I hit her car and yelled stop but she kept going. Waited at the same time the next day & got her.

Anyway--show up to court yesterday. Turns out I've gotta go back because her lawyer filed a continuance. Get this--she's a ferigner and has to consult an immigration attorney. Karma's a *****! Bet she sure wishes she'd just stopped instead of fleeing.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    The cyclist (a disinterested third party) says that the 66 year old man was splayed across Novak's windshield. And Novak says he didn't know he hit anyone????

What a jerk.

/anybody wanna bet this is gonna wind up in PO?
    already there...

New guy......Same old tricks.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

cheers
    Ha ha... BUSTED.

And that folks, is what we call, real, state-of-the-art karma.

Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' [prediction] model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Here is David Bono's info. He is a hero.

I ride in circles..
    Sadly he'll just pay the fine from his piggy bank and forget about it. Like he really cares.. Seriously. Same goes for most rich celebs and stars.. They're so loaded they could care less about pitiful fines. Now.. if fines scaled to the amount you make... then maybe.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I'm guessing the penalty for this can be more than just a fine. Let's hope he gets a judge that has seen some of his screwed up political commentary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apparently John Stewart doesn't think much of this guy either: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...ks-hit-and-run

I ride in circles..
    "We need more bicycling Vigilante's!!!!"

Best quote from that clip! woo
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I thought for sure it was going to be MB1 or Mrs MB chasing his azz down and getting pictures to prove it.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

RoadBikeReview Member

Update on Novak

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...h_brain_tumor/

I'm no admirer of this guy, to put it mildly, but maybe he really DIDN'T see the guy, or wasn't aware of a lot of things. He collapsed this weekend on Martha's Vineyard and was flown to a hospital in Boston. He has a brain tumor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I read that today as well--- and have nothing remotely appropriate to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...h_brain_tumor/

I'm no admirer of this guy, to put it mildly, but maybe he really DIDN'T see the guy, or wasn't aware of a lot of things. He collapsed this weekend on Martha's Vineyard and was flown to a hospital in Boston. He has a brain tumor.

banned
    I don't care how big a jerk he is, I wish him well- a brain tumor is a terrible, horrible way to go.

Soon to be banned
    I wouldn't wish a brain tumor on anyone. It certainly explains why he didn't see the guy he hit.

But it doesn't 'splain why he's a traitor or such a gigantic douche-bag...

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    why he's a traitor or such a gigantic douche-bag...
    Please. You can disagree with him about politics without calling him a traitor. This kind of ad hominem invective spoils the atmosphere for good discussion.

Soon to be banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    Please. You can disagree with him about politics without calling him a traitor. This kind of ad hominem invective spoils the atmosphere for good discussion.
    Nope, this isn't a simple ad hom. Novak IS a traitor. He disclosed the identity of a covert CIA operative.

Call me a Fred
    A brain tumor would explain most of his columns.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    a brain tumor is a terrible, horrible way to go.

It's called poetic justice.

supervillain

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Nope, this isn't a simple ad hom. Novak IS a traitor. He disclosed the identity of a covert CIA operative.
    No. You're not a traitor unless your intent is to betray the United States. I disagree with Novak on this, but his side would be that he was revealing a conflict of interest that was very relevant to the integrity of information at the heart of the debate over the war on Iraq. Joe Wilson portrayed himself as an independent investigator and Novak presented evidence that he was hired not for his abilities but out of nepotism. I reject Novak's conclusion but it was important for him to be able to present his case.

Imagine how you'd think if the shoe were on the other foot: if there were evidence that a covert agent on the CIA payroll were receiving kickbacks from Halliburton, wouldn't you want the reporter to publish this.

In the past, Presidents have tried to use these kinds of "treason" arguments to suppress publication of the Pentagon Papers and to prevent reporting on CIA involvement in overthrowing the government of Chile or selling missiles to Iran. It was good for democracy that reporters were able to publish stories revealing misconduct by covert agents.

I may not like Novak and his motives, but freedom of the press has to cut both ways and if we call Novak a traitor today, it will kill the ability of other reporters in the future to tell the truth about places like Abu Ghraib.

Integrated Cyclist
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    The man revealed top secret information and compromised Valerie Plame's NOC operation. He did all this for the sake of political vendetta. That makes him a traitor in my book. And by proxy, Scooter Libby, Carl Rove and Dick Cheney.

As far as douchebag, I agree that is an ad-hominem attack, though an accurate one.

I wish his family sincere condolences in this time time of emotional angst.