RoadBikeReview Member

BORDER PATROL: will twice as many agents be enough?

The Senate immigration compromise will hire twice as many border patrol agents, to be paid for with fees collected from immigrants and their employers. Will double the number of agents be enough or does more need to be done?
    What Would Happen If We Had Twice as Many Border Patrol Agents? - ABC News

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm consumed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    The Senate immigration compromise will hire twice as many border patrol agents, to be paid for with fees collected from immigrants and their employers. Will double the number of agents be enough or does more need to be done?
    What Would Happen If We Had Twice as Many Border Patrol Agents? - ABC News
    Which political party is pushing for bigger government?

* Democrats?

* Tea Party?

* Republicans?
    Do Not Respond List:

AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

We cannot Moderate every thread or every post. By and large, if we receive no complaints about a post and it slips down past the current crop of active threads, we will not retroactively edit it. Feel free to use the “report post” button if you see something that merits attention. As before, direct insults towards other member will be an immediate time-out. Most other things will be edited and discussed.

Not Banned
    and any person knows the way to fix a problem is to reduce its supply

it worked so well with prohibition
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    and any person knows the way to fix a problem is to reduce its supply

it worked so well with prohibition
    The way to fix this problem is a comprehensive guest worker program complete with a health insurance program controlled through the employers. Stiff fines and jail terms for those who violate it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    The way to fix this problem is a comprehensive guest worker program complete with a health insurance program controlled through the employers. Stiff fines and jail terms for those who violate it.
    I like that, but would it get the needed Conservative Senators' votes? They need 60 votes to pass a bill in the Senate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like that, but would it get the needed Conservative Senators' votes? They need 60 votes to pass a bill in the Senate.
    Neither side will go there, stepping on too many financial toes.

libtard
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post

* Democrats?

* Tea Party?

* Republicans?
    Senate's "Surge" Would Station an Agent Every 1,000 Feet Along the Border - Slate By Josh Voorhees

If that sounds like overkill to you, you're not alone. Even one of the Republicans who helped hammer out the deal to ease GOP concerns over the border was saying almost as much yesterday. "For people who are concerned about border security, once they see what is in this bill, it’s almost overkill," Tennessee Republican Bob Corker said in advance of the roll-out.

libtard
    There's a sure recipe for serious trouble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Does that also include one every 1000' 24 hours a day (three shifts), plus extra's to cover for holidays, sick leave, training , conferences, and vacation?

I have this feeling it might be one Board Patrol agent every 500' once this bill get passed and the public is informed.
    Do Not Respond List:

AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

We cannot Moderate every thread or every post. By and large, if we receive no complaints about a post and it slips down past the current crop of active threads, we will not retroactively edit it. Feel free to use the “report post” button if you see something that merits attention. As before, direct insults towards other member will be an immediate time-out. Most other things will be edited and discussed.

libtard
    Does that also include one every 1000' 24 hours a day (three shifts), plus extra's to cover for holidays, sick leave, training , conferences, and vacation?

I have this feeling it might be one Board Patrol agent every 500' once this bill get passed and the public is informed.

My colleague Matthew Yglesias has already broken down some of the proposal's nitty-gritty for you, but I just wanted to flag one nugget from the Los Angeles Times write-up that underscores just how super-sized the so-called "border surge" would be under the compromise:

The plan would add so many new agents to the Border Patrol — 20,000 — that if all were deployed at once, they could be stationed roughly every 250 feet along the border, stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico.

The new agents would be added to the existing force of roughly 18,000 already working. Obviously, all 38,000 would never be deployed all at once, but even if they're working regular shifts, that leaves one every 1,000 feet or so, 24/7, by Reuters' estimation. And that's not all, the deal also provides for the completion of 700 miles of fencing along the border, along with the tripling of the number of drones currently keeping tabs on the area. In all, the military-style buildup is expected to come with a price tag of at least $30 billion, or roughly four times what Senate negotiators had originally proposed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Thanks for the added info --- appears to about right --- one Board Patrol agenda 24/7 along the US 1933 mile US/Mexico Boarder.

Do you happen to know what the bill provides for the 5,550 mile US/Canadain border, or the 12,000 miles of coastline?

Illegals might go elsewhere if other options exist.
    Do Not Respond List:

AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

libtard
    Thanks for the added info --- appears to about right --- one Board Patrol agenda 24/7 along the US 1933 mile US/Mexico Boarder.

Do you happen to know what the bill provides for the 5,550 mile US/Canadain border, or the 12,000 miles of coastline?

Illegals might go elsewhere if other options exist.

40% to 50% of all the illegal immigration comes in the form of foreign nationals who land on U.S. soil at international airports around the country with a valid visa in hand and don't leave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

* Democrats?

* Tea Party?

* Republicans?
    One could install a dense 1/2 mile wide by 2000 mile long mine field. The Republicans could label it a "jobs bill" as one would have to make all the mines and then the residual medical and prostetic work that would result. That would also remove your ability to post your "Republican Jobs Bill Counting Clock". (you do know I was kidding, right?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    That seems to be an incentive to inspire people to come illegally. They come here for "opprotunity".

RoadBikeReview Member

what a boring job, huh? hopefully they've considered the training costs associated with HIGH turnover...
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    One could install a dense 1/2 mile wide by 2000 mile long mine field. The Republicans could label it a "jobs bill" as one would have to make all the mines and then the residual medical and prostetic work that would result. That would also remove your ability to post your "Republican Jobs Bill Counting Clock". (you do know I was kidding, right?)
    Actually your not kidding by the use of mock humor ... the failure of the GOP to reduce unemployment does reveal their failed agenda. But providing physiological advise is not within the style guideline of this forum.
    Do Not Respond List:

AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Didn't GOP Senate candidate Joe Miller say something about how the East Germans had succeeded in building an adequate barrier?
    http://www.viddler.com/v/a7919fa6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another part of the compromise is a requirement that permanent residents pass an English proficiency exam or prove they are attending English classes. We have this in Italy, financed by the European Union. I plan to attend classes again this year- quite fun meeting folks from all over the world.
    BARBARA MUJICA: I think we agree on a number of things.

I think one of the problems that we're facing right now is that we don't have enough classes available. We don't have enough teachers available. We're telling people that they have to learn English, but we really have to provide the mechanism by which they would learn English. So I think, in that sense, Max and I agree.

RAY SUAREZ: Well, there's money -- there's money in the bill. Is it enough?

MAX SEVILLIA: Very little money.

BARBARA MUJICA: It's not enough.

MAX SEVILLIA: It's about $150 million dollars total for a number of opportunities for legal services, for English learning, for public awareness.

It's certainly not enough. We're talking about billions of dollars if we were to truly look to reach the sort of requirement that Senator Rubio is mandating.
    Should Immigrants Be Required to Learn English? | PBS NewsHour | June 21, 2013 | PBS

libtard
    Another part of the compromise is a requirement that permanent residents pass an English proficiency exam or prove they are attending English classes. We have this in Italy, financed by the European Union. I plan to attend classes again this year- quite fun meeting folks from all over the world.

Should Immigrants Be Required to Learn English? | PBS NewsHour | June 21, 2013 | PBS
    I propose making everyone, American citizens and immigrants alike, learn Italian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes! Italians need the jobs, even if temporarily abroad.