Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Cancelling my Sirius Satellite radio subscription today.

After 5 years of being a steady subscriber, I've finally had enough of uncensored, protected, speech.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Making comments about a 16 year old girl, no matter how famous and annoying she might be, is out of line. I'd like to see Foxx make a public apology. This is the kind of thing that is leading to the deterioration of American society.

Rant if you want. I do have a 9 year old daughter who is a huge fan, and I didn't directly hear the comments myself. Regardless, in honor of little kids who just like her music and style, even if it is Hollywood-generated, I'll be cancelling my subscription to both Sirius radios that I own.

Sorry, I just don't agree with an "anything goes" society. Not all speech should be protected.
    If confronted by a mountain lion, it's best to pretend to be as big as possible. But not big as in important, ie, "Do You Know Who I Am?".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quite possibly the least informative article in the history of journalism. When, where, why, and how are all noticably absent.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ashpelham
    After 5 years of being a steady subscriber, I've finally had enough of uncensored, protected, speech.

Making comments about a 16 year old girl, no matter how famous and annoying she might be, is out of line. I'd like to see Foxx make a public apology. This is the kind of thing that is leading to the deterioration of American society.

Rant if you want. I do have a 9 year old daughter who is a huge fan, and I didn't directly hear the comments myself. Regardless, in honor of little kids who just like her music and style, even if it is Hollywood-generated, I'll be cancelling my subscription to both Sirius radios that I own.

Sorry, I just don't agree with an "anything goes" society. Not all speech should be protected.

I see no apparent reason why this speech should be any less protected than your right to turn it off.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    I see no apparent reason why this speech should be any less protected than your right to turn it off.

Agree. I also fully agree with the OP hitting them where it hurts most. There's no need for censorship. If enough people vote with their wallets the program will go away all on its own. What's important is to make sure they know why you're taking your money elsewhere.

I must also be completely out of touch. Who is Jamie Foxx?

supervillain

Ricardo Cabeza
    free market capitalism in action. if you don't like it, turn it off, and spend your money somewhere else. Enough people make it known they don't like it and they will change their programming.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Agree. I also fully agree with the OP hitting them where it hurts most. There's no need for censorship. If enough people vote with their wallets the program will go away all on its own. What's important is to make sure they know why you're taking your money elsewhere.

I must also be completely out of touch. Who is Jamie Foxx?
    That said, you might as well stop using the Internet because some people use it to post nasty things about teen stars. Cancel your cable TV because someone else said something you disagree with. Cancel your newspaper because another Scripps paper made a wisecrack about some teen star--Seems like a rather futile gesture to show your disapproval of something a comedian said on one channel of a satellite radio station.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

jaded bitter joy crusher
    I'll be cancelling my subscription to both Sirius radios that I own.
    You'll get better mileage if you write your concerns to the sponsors of the specific show. Advertisers do listen to this kind of thing.
    Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing. ---- Cormac McCarthy

A man can get disouraged many times, but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying --- John Burroughs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good comments, and I appreciate them. My gesture might be very small and my 13.00 per month insignificant, but I'm standing up against something that I thought to be very, very insulting. Sure, it probably hit me a bit more as my daughter absolutely loves the artist in question here. That's fine, as that's my world, not yours. But this is my gesture against something that, until now, I've received a great deal of enjoyment from. I'm willing to walk away from a luxury I give myself for those long 4-6 hour car trips because I'm sick and tired of this kind of smut.

Notice I said "this kind" of smut. Other smut is permissable, if not encouraged.
    If confronted by a mountain lion, it's best to pretend to be as big as possible. But not big as in important, ie, "Do You Know Who I Am?".

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    at $13 you were paying too much regardless. Call and ask to cancel... watch your rate drop to about $6/mo.

banned
    At a certain point, one does start asking "just where is the line, anyway? Can we even see it from where we are?"

I do kind of miss the days of good taste and judgment trumping "just make a sex tape..."

Fredke's right- you should right a letter and let them know just why you are canceling. Make sure to send copies to the show's sponsors.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    That said, you might as well stop using the Internet because some people use it to post nasty things about teen stars. Cancel your cable TV because someone else said something you disagree with. Cancel your newspaper because another Scripps paper made a wisecrack about some teen star--Seems like a rather futile gesture to show your disapproval of something a comedian said on one channel of a satellite radio station.

Bad analogy.

If I don't like the content I find on the net, I stop visiting the sites that host that content and, if I'm paying for those sites/content, I stop paying them. If I don't like what the NYT publishes, I stop buying it, not every newspaper.

Sirius is like one of those sites. They pay Foxx. Merely changing the station doesn't have nearly as much of an impact as ceasing to pay them does. Not only do they lose the subscription revenue, it hits them when it comes to advertising numbers as well because their subscriber base is smaller.

supervillain

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    free market capitalism in action. if you don't like it, turn it off, and spend your money somewhere else.

Ummm...there is no alternative.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    You'll get better mileage if you write your concerns to the sponsors of the specific show. Advertisers do listen to this kind of thing.

+1111

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    Ummm...there is no alternative.

Whatever happened to broadcast radio and whatnot?

supervillain

Shirtcocker
    Clear Channel ruined them. Have you ever tried to listen to the radio going across Nebraska on I-80? Hope you like farm reports, religious and right-wing programming and bad country music.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    At a certain point, one does start asking "just where is the line, anyway? Can we even see it from where we are?"
    Everyone's at fault here. Certainly most fault is with the fool who talks about the sex tape, but I also have problems with a spoiled 16 year old who has a public tantrum in which she threatens to "ruin" the career of a bunch of musicians simply because they won't indulge her narcissism.

That girl's father should be doing more parenting and less basking in the glow of his daughter's celebrity, if you ask me. He's developing a serious track record of failing to set limits or provide adequate supervision for her.
    Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing. ---- Cormac McCarthy

A man can get disouraged many times, but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying --- John Burroughs

AM999's Liberal Facist

Around here-all there is is ClearChannel crap-that has nothing on 24/7.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Clear Channel ruined them. Have you ever tried to listen to the radio going across Nebraska on I-80? Hope you like farm reports and bad country music.
    I honestly haven't listened to radio in 4 or 5 years. I can play MP3 CDs in my car and more often than not anymore, I'm either on the phone or I'd rather just have relative silence.

supervillain

Self-Banned
    Clear Channel ruined them. Have you ever tried to listen to the radio going across Nebraska on I-80? Hope you like farm reports, religious and right-wing programming and bad country music.
    Fortunately there's NPR. If you don't like consolidated corporate media like Clear Channel then it's a wise investment to contribute to your local NPR affiliate.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    Everyone's at fault here. Certainly most fault is with the fool who talks about the sex tape, but I also have problems with a spoiled 16 year old who has a public tantrum in which she threatens to "ruin" the career of a bunch of musicians simply because they won't indulge her narcissism.

That girl's father should be doing more parenting and less basking in the glow of his daughter's celebrity, if you ask me. He's developing a serious track record of failing to set limits or provide adequate supervision for her.
    To be fair, this is exactly the kind of tantrum that all teenagers throw at one time or another. We don't really know how her dad handled it because that's not the kind of thing that gets reported while throwing a tantrum is the kind of thing that gets reported. (I would guess that your assessment is correct, however).

Miley Cyrus bugs the hell out of me, but the feigned outrage at a teenager acting self-centered is just as idiotic, particularly when it's coming from other stars, many of whom often suffer from being perpetual teenagers and high doses of self-entitlement. In other words, pot meet kettle.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    Fortunately there's NPR. If you don't like consolidated corporate media like Clear Channel then it's a wise investment to contribute to your local NPR affiliate.
    But even All Things Considered gets old after about the 10th time you've heard it while on a 12 hour drive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

You should sign up with XM radio

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaha
    You should sign up with XM radio

Ummm....the two are now the same monopoly, in case you didn't notice.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Self-Banned
    But even All Things Considered gets old after about the 10th time you've heard it while on a 12 hour drive.

Sure... I agree. Luckly here we have KCRW which has a very good amount of cool music programming mornings and evenings... including Henry Rollins' show on Saturday evenings. I've got an iPod full of music and a nice connector to my car stereo for long drives.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    Ummm....the two are now the same monopoly, in case you didn't notice.

Calling them a monopoly is a bit of a reach. There are at least several alternatives in any given market. Just because there is only one satellite radio provider now (thanks to the inability of either to be profitable) doesn't mean that they have a monopoly.

Just because you don't like the alternatives offerings doesn't mean they don't exist.

supervillain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast