Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DaveWC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,038

    Compulsory voting

    I'm training in Maui right now with an Australian when the subject of Trump came up (he brought it up, I'd never do that in the U.S.) He couldn't understand why the U.S. doesn't make voting compulsory like in Australia. They get 90+% voter turnout. I'd bet that Trump wouldn't have stood a chance in 2016 with 90% turnout. I guess that's why the Republicans do everything in their power to deter voting.

  2. #2
    NSFW
    Reputation: Ullr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,313
    A truly free country would never have compulsory voting. Freedom. Something like that.

  3. #3
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,504
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I'm training in Maui right now with an Australian when the subject of Trump came up (he brought it up, I'd never do that in the U.S.) He couldn't understand why the U.S. doesn't make voting compulsory like in Australia. They get 90+% voter turnout. I'd bet that Trump wouldn't have stood a chance in 2016 with 90% turnout. I guess that's why the Republicans do everything in their power to deter voting.
    Hmm. Tough call. With even more dissatisfied voters being added to the mix...it is very possible that Trump would still be a minority-rule POTUS put in place by the Electoral College, or by Congress deciding it due to a lack of a majority in the E.C. A less drastic measure--make elections a national holiday. This year I'm doing vote by mail FWIW, just got my ballot yesterday AAMOF.

    A lack of people participating politically (voting) is a side-effect of our political problems....not a cause.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22,021
    Some alternative ideas to increase voter participation.

    1. None workday voting.

    2. Veterans Day becomes election day.

    3. Saturday and Sunday but embargo declaring victories until all related polls close.

    4. 6 week campaigns ... top 3 states with greatest turnout percentage get $100 individual gas coupon (or some other reward incentive).

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,282
    New Zealand we vote on a Saturday (Japan on a Sunday), polls are open from 6am to 7pm. When you are on the electoral roll you only get removed by death or incarceration. If you move district it's up to you to notify the elections office otherwise you have to vote in your old district. Average voter turnout is high 70%.

    In Japan everyone is automatically enrolled by district as each citizen is registered in the local municipal office where they pay taxes. If you pay taxes or receive social security including universal health care you are enrolled. Average voter turnout is high 40-low 50%.

    American system is screwed up. If elections are so important why would you not have them on the Colombus Day holiday which no one really gives a **** about anyway? Move it to the first Monday in Novenber and problem solved.

  6. #6
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,504
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    New Zealand we vote on a Saturday (Japan on a Sunday), polls are open from 6am to 7pm. When you are on the electoral roll you only get removed by death or incarceration. If you move district it's up to you to notify the elections office otherwise you have to vote in your old district. Average voter turnout is high 70%.

    In Japan everyone is automatically enrolled by district as each citizen is registered in the local municipal office where they pay taxes. If you pay taxes or receive social security including universal health care you are enrolled. Average voter turnout is high 40-low 50%.

    American system is screwed up. If elections are so important why would you not have them on the Colombus Day holiday which no one really gives a **** about anyway? Move it to the first Monday in Novenber and problem solved.
    Tuesday was chosen, because in an agrarian society--you didn't want to interfere with the sabbath with travel (since you needed to whip out the hose/buggy to go vote somewhere a ways away)--nor with market day (Wednesday). It staying there is largely because of tradition at this point. Moving it could easily happen--or just make it a national holiday. Although the date is the least screwed up aspect of US voting--as people can always absentee and vote by mail.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electi...tates)#History

    Moving it, turnout would likely continue to be low...because you onle want to have two candidates, and one of them sucks--and one of them really sucks....and given that choice--who is excited to vote?


    Over here Columbus Day is in October-not November.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

    Over here Columbus Day is in October-not November.
    I know but it's such an arbitrary holiday anyway, just move it back a month.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,776
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I'm training in Maui right now with an Australian when the subject of Trump came up (he brought it up, I'd never do that in the U.S.) He couldn't understand why the U.S. doesn't make voting compulsory like in Australia. They get 90+% voter turnout. I'd bet that Trump wouldn't have stood a chance in 2016 with 90% turnout. I guess that's why the Republicans do everything in their power to deter voting.
    You got a great point about manipulating voter turnout, but the black turnouts in the Obama years were higher than they'd ever been. Too bad their enthusiasm didn't carry over to Hillary.

    Turnout depends on how many citizens care about the issues. Then they'll vote party line, or for a very few, candidate recognition. I'd guess the competing political demographics wouldn't change at all if everyone had to vote.

    There's something to be said about an informed public voting intelligently, opposed to just throwing the levers for party. The Electoral College was founded on that principle, limiting voting first to property owners, then reluctantly extended to one man one vote, and finally to women. The FFs didn't want no irresponsible riffraff electing demagogues. The communist revolution proved them all too right.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,913
    one of the flaws of compulsory voting...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_...ferendum,_2002

    Jump to search



    Iraqi presidential election, 2002




    ← 1995 October 16, 2002 2005 (Jan) →




    Iraq, Saddam Hussein (222).jpg

    Nominee
    Saddam Hussein

    Party
    Ba'ath Party

    Popular vote
    11,445,638

    Percentage
    100%



    President before election

    Saddam Hussein
    Ba'ath Party
    Elected President

    Saddam Hussein
    Ba'ath Party



    Presidential elections were held in the Republic of Iraq on October 16, 2002, the second under the rule of Saddam Hussein (the first having taken place in 1995). According to official statistics, the turnout was 100%, with all 11,445,638 Iraqis registered to vote having voted "yes" in a referendum whether to support another seven year-term for President Saddam Hussein, which would legally have ended in 2009.
    At least with choice, those that do can wag a finger (of your choice) at those who don't and blame them for the current schlitzfest.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You got a great point about manipulating voter turnout, but the black turnouts in the Obama years were higher than they'd ever been. Too bad their enthusiasm didn't carry over to Hillary.
    Snort!!! I certainly can't speak for all, but "folks" I've spoken with see a different kind of enthusiasm overriding this minority segment rather than a loss of enthusiasm...

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jimb100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,556
    I'm not sure that voting on the national level is all that meaningful. When the GOP is in charge, the middle class and poor get nothing, everything is done for the rich.

    When the dems are in charge, the middle class and poor get crumbs, the rich get a little less.

    Until you take the bribery out of elected office, nothing else much matters.
    dance, you lyin' monkey

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Some alternative ideas to increase voter participation.

    1. None workday voting.

    2. Veterans Day becomes election day.

    3. Saturday and Sunday but embargo declaring victories until all related polls close.

    4. 6 week campaigns ... top 3 states with greatest turnout percentage get $100 individual gas coupon (or some other reward incentive).
    Buying votes is an old standard American practice.

  13. #13
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,585
    Compulsory voting? No thank you. Doesn't sound very free.

    Election day should be a national holiday. Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon. Combined with automatic voter registration and you'd probably get 80-90% turnout. Without being compulsory.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  14. #14
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    33,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Buying votes is an old standard American practice.
    Y'all have a problem with free-market democracy?

    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Y'all have a problem with free-market democracy?

    Not at all. I remember when you would get a beer for a vote and you could vote as long as you could stand up.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,606
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Compulsory voting? No thank you. Doesn't sound very free.

    Election day should be a national holiday. Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon. Combined with automatic voter registration and you'd probably get 80-90% turnout. Without being compulsory.
    Sure, because people will spend half their holiday standing in line.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7405816.html
    Imagine the lines if turnout were 80-90%.
    Blows your hair back.

  17. #17
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,585
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    Sure, because people will spend half their holiday standing in line.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7405816.html
    Imagine the lines if turnout were 80-90%.
    That's due to lack of polling stations.

    And as I said... "Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon."
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,606
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's due to lack of polling stations.

    And as I said... "Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon."
    and that's the problem to solve. then worry about secondary effects like which day.
    it's not just the number of polling stations. also the quality and functionality.
    Blows your hair back.

  19. #19
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Election day should be a national holiday. Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon. Combined with automatic voter registration and you'd probably get 80-90% turnout. Without being compulsory.
    ^^^ this ^^^


    This is not my signature
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

  20. #20
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^
    Yep.

    Won't happen when Rs can stop it, because they fear more voters voting.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yep.

    Won't happen when Rs can stop it, because they fear more voters voting.
    If we really want to make it convenient why not just automatically cast their vote when we automatically register them??

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    739
    I'm not sure about compulsory but a holiday would help as some people can't take off work or have odd hours. Columbus day isn't a Holiday all companies have off so I would think it would have to be it's own holiday, and if you could do a multiple day thing involving the weekend even better.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    668
    April 15th as an election holiday would go a long way towards minarchy.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22,021
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yep.

    Won't happen when Rs can stop it, because they fear more voters voting.
    ^^^this^^^

    Slavery had and continued to have a lasting implication upon a nation of claiming liberty and justice for all. Justice Kavanaugh being the latest example.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22,021
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Compulsory voting? No thank you. Doesn't sound very free.

    Election day should be a national holiday. Preferably Sat, Sun, & Mon. Combined with automatic voter registration and you'd probably get 80-90% turnout. Without being compulsory.
    A paid holiday or unpaid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Compulsory voting
    By Live Steam in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 10:48 AM
  2. Life Long Republican Voting for Kerry...
    By spyderman in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 04:04 PM
  3. Only one way I'm voting for Bush...
    By mohair_chair in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 09:08 AM
  4. 2 for one voting
    By Bocephus Jones in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 09:36 AM
  5. Any '00 Gore Voters Voting For Bush in '04?
    By MarkS in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.