off the back

Deficit hawk Repubs vote to continue subsidies for big oil.

http://www.democraticleader.gov/blog/?p=3631

With Big Oil raking in record profits, House Democrats offered a Motion to Recommit to the House Republican short-term spending bill this afternoon making a responsible cut to the budget: putting an end to taxpayer-funded subsidies to large oil companies. Repealing these subsidies would save taxpayers tens of billions over the next decade and even ex-Shell CEO John Hofmeister agrees saying “with high oil prices, such subsidies are not necessary.”

Republicans voted unanimously against the motion, defeating it by a vote of 176-249
    So, they can cut funding for the poor and the downtrodden, eliminate it entirely for organizations like Planned parenthood, but won't end government payments to record-profit oil companies.

Just one more in a long list of facts that show they aren't really interested in cutting the deficit at all, but instead are just putting the screws to liberals and their favored government programs.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    13 Democrats joined them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The amount of subsidies we give to oil companies seems very high. Wiki indicates that the Deepwater Horizon rig alone was subsidized to the tune of $225,000 per day. I question the need to provide public assistance to mature and profitable industries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jorbenweb
    The amount of subsidies we give to oil companies seems very high. Wiki indicates that the Deepwater Horizon rig alone was subsidized to the tune of $225,000 per day. I question the need to provide public assistance to mature and profitable industries.
    The Federal Government should not be subsidizing any private business.

Even Al Gore agrees that basic Corn Based Ethanol Subsidies are a mistake.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...ve-suppor.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Was there anything else in the motion that might have caused concern? Or was it just subsidies for oil?

Also, the article you attached, starts with; "Democrats are committed to fiscal responsibility and to ensuring that government lives within its means."

After you read that first line, sort of hard to read the rest and feel you are getting the true story.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith
    Was there anything else in the motion that might have caused concern? Or was it just subsidies for oil?

Also, the article you attached, starts with; "Democrats are committed to fiscal responsibility and to ensuring that government lives within its means."

After you read that first line, sort of hard to read the rest and feel you are getting the true story.

Not if you lok at the last thirty years of Federal spending and deficit growth. But don't let facts destroy your little fantasy.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    Not if you lok at the last thirty years of Federal spending and deficit growth. But don't let facts destroy your little fantasy.

What happen to the deficit since January of 2009?

I'm not defending the GOP in away, I don't trust them either, so don't come back with that argument.
    Last edited by dougclaysmith; 03-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith
    What happen to the deficit since January of 2009?

I'm not defending the GOP in away, I don't trust them either, so don't come back with that argument.
    Fine, one thing that happened was that the wars were put on the budget.

And you do know the calendar year 2009 budget, the money being spent that year, was Bush's, right?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

AM999

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by AnkleChop
    13 Democrats joined them?
    How many of them represent districts with a lot of jobs in oil? What would you set the over/under at so that you would take EITHER side of the bet?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

AM999

Ricardo Cabeza
    it's bad when the Republicans do it. But it's GOOD when the Democrats do it, right? RIGHT?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod

And you do know the calendar year 2009 budget, the money being spent that year, was Bush's, right?

Hey, just point out the dems have dirty hands as well.

Not Banned

no it is bad they both do it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    it's bad when the Republicans do it. But it's GOOD when the Democrats do it, right? RIGHT?
    but look at the voting, which party does this appear more like a pet project?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned

yes amazing

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod

how they kept the wars off the books all those years

and their economy still stunk
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering