Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467

    Democrat compares GOP tactics to Nazi propaganda

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The chairman of the California Democratic Party has compared Republican tactics during the presidential campaign to the "big lie" strategy most famously employed by Nazi propagandists.

    California Democratic chief John Burton made the remarks Monday in an interview with San Francisco station KCBS while in Charlotte for the Democratic National Convention.

    Burton said the Republicans lie and don't care whether people know they lie and that, quote, "As long as you lie, Joseph Goebbels (GUR'-buhls), the big lie, you keep repeating it."

    Goebbels was the chief of Nazi propaganda. Nazi leader Adolf Hitler believed the "big lie" had a greater chance of being believed.

    Republicans immediately criticized Burton and called for an apology. Burton later issued a statement saying that he "humbly apologized" to anyone offended by his comparison.
    .
    .
    It would be more appropriate to apologize to all "honest" Republicans, out there.
    .
    .
    All 352 of them.
    .
    .
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  2. #2
    Wave, dammit!
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,518
    In light of Snakebit's thread about agreeing on something, how about we all agree to stop invoking Hitler or Nazi's in comparison to modern politics. It only serves to trivialize the attrocities they committed.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

    Just be seen riding your bike.

    Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

  3. #3
    Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Reputation: PaxRomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    In light of Snakebit's thread about agreeing on something, how about we all agree to stop invoking Hitler or Nazi's in comparison to modern politics. It only serves to trivialize the attrocities they committed.
    Actually, no. I don't think Burton should have apologized at all. He wasn't saying Romney is Hitler.

    He was saying that the GOP uses propaganda tactics that Goebbels espoused. That is a simple truth. Ignoring history just dooms one to repeating it.

  4. #4
    Wave, dammit!
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Actually, no. I don't think Burton should have apologized at all. He wasn't saying Romney is Hitler.

    He was saying that the GOP uses propaganda tactics that Goebbels espoused. That is a simple truth. Ignoring history just dooms one to repeating it.
    It's a ridiculous analogy any time anyone uses it. It's designed for one purpose and one purpose only, to link the "other" to something universally regarded as evil. Santayana has nothing to do with this.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

    Just be seen riding your bike.

    Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

  5. #5
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467
    If something is evil, what's wrong with calling it evil??

    The reason that the Democrats are often losers is because they try to be nice, and not try to hurt people feelings.

    The way to win elections is to kick you oponent in the nutz, and then stomp their head, when down.

    Many Democrats say that they would rather lose, than do that; but again, that's why they are losers.
    .
    .
    .
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  6. #6
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,460
    .
    .

    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana


    Actually, no. I don't think Burton should have apologized at all. He wasn't saying Romney is Hitler.

    He was saying that the GOP uses propaganda tactics that Goebbels espoused. That is a simple truth. Ignoring history just dooms one to repeating it.



    they don't use propaganda tactics similar to Goebbels.

    (in terms of propagandists, isn't Frank Luntz bad enough? it's not necessary to invoke Goebbels.)
    .

  7. #7
    Wave, dammit!
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    If something is evil, what's wrong with calling it evil??

    The reason that the Democrats are often losers is because they try to be nice, and not try to hurt people feelings.

    The way to win elections is to kick you oponent in the nutz, and then stomp their head, when down.

    Many Democrats say that they would rather lose, than do that; but again, that's why they are losers.
    .
    .
    .
    I agree that the Democrats need to use stronger rhetoric. One of my criticisms of the President is that he pulls his punches too often. If they believe something is "evil", I also have no problem with them labeling it as evil.

    The Nazi analogy is just a cheap scare tactic and because it gets used by both sides, it's lost whatever effectiveness it might have had. Now, all it's doing is taking one of the most horrific periods in human history and reducing it to a bad political campaign. JMHO, of course.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 09-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

    Just be seen riding your bike.

    Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,157
    And in this we get a clear view of the noble character of the DNC.

  9. #9
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,584
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Actually, no. I don't think Burton should have apologized at all. He wasn't saying Romney is Hitler.

    He was saying that the GOP uses propaganda tactics that Goebbels espoused. That is a simple truth. Ignoring history just dooms one to repeating it.
    And they weren't even invented by Goebels, just used by him. Repeat a grand lie long enough and people will believe it as truth. One of the oldest tricks in the book.

    He should not have a apologized as he said nothing wrong.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  10. #10
    Have a nice day
    Reputation: undies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,893
    I'm waiting for someone to compare Dinesh D'Souza to Leni Riefenstahl.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    892
    Democrat compares GOP tactics to Nazi propaganda
    And the Democrats use the exact tactics. So, what's your point?

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    And in this we get a clear view of the noble character of the DNC.
    yes, the RNC would never do it and doesn't have any history of doing the exact same thing, whatsoever......right?
    Not banned yet.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,157
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    yes, the RNC would never do it and doesn't have any history of doing the exact same thing, whatsoever......right?
    You spend a lot of time outlining your superiority and now you fall back on "we're just like you guy." That's curious and strangely contradictory.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    You spend a lot of time outlining your superiority and now you fall back on "we're just like you guy." That's curious and strangely contradictory.
    MY superiority? please do tell.

    I'm simply pointing out the fact you're not addressing one side of the equation...which is a strange omission you don't want to seem to address here. I don't condone the behavior or comparison. but its still unclear whether or not you do.
    Last edited by bahueh; 09-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Not banned yet.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,242
    How many other times in history has a country's policies been built around going to war against terrorism?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,445
    This is such bunk. The Obama camp spins out as much, if not more crap. Michelle's speech last night was a total pant load. Anyone that thinks Barry functions out of the goodness of his heart and is open to listening to others has their head firmly planted up their azz. He is a narcissistic ideologue, nothing more, nothing less.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,157
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    MY superiority? please do tell.

    I'm simply pointing out the fact you're not addressing one side of the equation...which is a strange omission you don't want to seem to address here. I don't condone the behavior or comparison. but its still unclear whether or not you do.
    Well, the point is that if you are going to claim the high road you should at least be seen on it a time or two.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    How dare you

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    This is such bunk. The Obama camp spins out as much, if not more crap. Michelle's speech last night was a total pant load. Anyone that thinks Barry functions out of the goodness of his heart and is open to listening to others has their head firmly planted up their azz. He is a narcissistic ideologue, nothing more, nothing less.

    speak ill of our annointed Savior.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Well, the point is that if you are going to claim the high road you should at least be seen on it a time or two.
    says the guy who very rarely admits his political party does any wrong...
    Not banned yet.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,157
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    says the guy who very rarely admits his political party does any wrong...
    Again, the concept of the high road is that you don't walk the low road with the bad guys. Make up your mind if you are a sinner or a saint. You can't be both.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I agree that the Democrats need to use stronger rhetoric. One of my criticisms of the President is that he pulls his punches too often. If they believe something is "evil", I also have no problem with them labeling it as evil.

    The Nazi analogy is just a cheap scare tactic and because it gets used by both sides, it's lost whatever effectiveness it might have had. Now, all it's doing it taking one of the most horrific periods in human history and reducing it to a bad political campaign. JMHO, of course.
    I disagree. Look at Blue Cheese Heads posts. He's still repeating the Fox News big lies. Unlike Snake who knows they are false but continues to repeat them because he supports his party, I think Blue Cheese really believes what he's posting here. These Nazi tactics are highly effective. It allowed the country to do many things that it otherwise wouldn't have done such as invading Iraq based on false intelligence and setting up DHS/Patriot Act.

    I think you're incredibly discrediting the effectiveness of use of psychology in mass media in these cases.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,445
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    I disagree. Look at Blue Cheese Heads posts. He's still repeating the Fox News big lies. Unlike Snake who knows they are false but continues to repeat them because he supports his party, I think Blue Cheese really believes what he's posting here. These Nazi tactics are highly effective. It allowed the country to do many things that it otherwise wouldn't have done such as invading Iraq based on false intelligence and setting up DHS/Patriot Act.

    I think you're incredibly discrediting the effectiveness of use of psychology in mass media in these cases.
    Sorry, I don't watch Fox and could not tell you which channel it's on.

    As far as lies go, the Dems are spewing their fair share this week.

    Fact check: Opening night of the DNC

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,445
    So, how would Godwin's Law rank the Democrat's argument with their 3 Hitler references so far?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Sorry, I don't watch Fox and could not tell you which channel it's on.

    As far as lies go, the Dems are spewing their fair share this week.

    Fact check: Opening night of the DNC
    If we're comparing to RNC, that's well short of their "fair share". These are statements about what Romney does or doesn't promise (though what he promises seems to change dramatically depending on who he's trying to appeal to). Ryan and others lied about things that actually happened and how they happened. Anyone see the difference?
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Again, the concept of the high road is that you don't walk the low road with the bad guys. Make up your mind if you are a sinner or a saint. You can't be both.
    of course "you" can. It depends on the subject and it depends on the reality of the time.
    Not banned yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook