Quiet, daddy's drinking

Did election spur any family infighting?

Just wondering how the rest of you handle situtations where you and part of your family voted for different candidates. Do you ignore it, not speak of it, voice you opinion, start throwing things? My father is a staunch Bush supporter. He thinks Michael Moore is a fat america hating traitor and Ann Coulter just speaks her mind. I have told him that I could not see any reason to vote for Bush given his profound screw ups, that he should look past Rush for his world view, that Moore raises some good points in that book he did not read and that film he did not see and that Coulter is a nut job. Today it came down to a disagreement as to whether the Chicago Tribune is a liberal or conservative paper. In order to prove my point that it is conservative I spent $5.00 on a download of two past editorials where the editorial board proclaims their conservative values. Did I go too far? Should I just let him live in his own world free from dissent?
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Two of my absolutely favorite cousins probably voted for W. I didn't bring it up with them. I get to see them rarely, and prefer to have fun with them when we visit. Besides, they live in California so their votes for W didn't matter. If they lived in Ohio or New Mexico, we might have had to talk.

Go Blue

We agreed to disagree

In August, my wife (pro Kerry) and my mother (pro Bush) had a shouting match at a family dinner unlike any they have had in the 17 years that my wife and I have been married. After that, we decided to stop talking about politics at family events. My inlaws (also pro Bush) were more passive aggressive -- they would send copies of Wall Street Journal editorials and columns to us with hand written notes on a weekly basis.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    Just wondering how the rest of you handle situtations where you and part of your family voted for different candidates. Do you ignore it, not speak of it, voice you opinion, start throwing things? My father is a staunch Bush supporter. He thinks Michael Moore is a fat america hating traitor and Ann Coulter just speaks her mind. I have told him that I could not see any reason to vote for Bush given his profound screw ups, that he should look past Rush for his world view, that Moore raises some good points in that book he did not read and that film he did not see and that Coulter is a nut job. Today it came down to a disagreement as to whether the Chicago Tribune is a liberal or conservative paper. In order to prove my point that it is conservative I spent $5.00 on a download of two past editorials where the editorial board proclaims their conservative values. Did I go too far? Should I just let him live in his own world free from dissent?
    The only Repubs in my faily live in WY and that's a lost cause for the Dems anyway so no worries.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Go Blue

Similar dynamic in my family

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    The only Repubs in my faily live in WY and that's a lost cause for the Dems anyway so no worries.
    Given that my mother and my inlaws live near us in Maryland, their Republican leanings were irrelevant. So my wife and I had no good reason to try to change their views. My sister lives in Connecticut, another state in which we Dems had no reason to worry and thus no reason to try to change her views. The only family members who lived in contested states, my sister-in-law in Wisconsin, and my brother-in-law in Virginia, all were Kerry voters. So we didn't have to use any family good will capital to persuade them to vote the Democratic way.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your father sounds like a good man Isn't he always right?
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

banned
    Jan 2004

Blew off an (ex-)favorite aunt's 80th birthday

That's tough, and I think tougher this year than it's been in the past. My long-time favorite aunt, who is in addition the person who took care of my father in his terminal illness when I couldn't be there, is a rabid, racist Nazi of a Bush supporter. Last year, during the California goober recall and Arnold annointment, she told me without any embarrassment that "the only thing wrong with California is that Bill Clinton and the liberals want to educate the (N-word)s and (children of Hispanic descent)."
    We've argued, in a mostly friendly way, since Nixon. For some reason, though, she's turned nasty, aggressive and vituperative over Bush. I've been willing to let the whole thing slide and just not talk about it, but she started challenging me in person, then in e-mails, making all kinds of Live Steam-like accusations and claims about everybody to the left of Pat Robertson. Her kids (in their 40s, mostly) are just about as bad as she is, just mindlessly reactioary.
    It got so bad that, rather than put up with the BS last month, I blew off her 80th birthday party, which was a massive family reunion, too. My whole family has been close-knit since I was a kid in the '50s, but this has really changed the dynamic. I was willing to see them and talk about football or something, but I can't sit silent, especially in front of my own children, when the topic of every discussion is the essential evil of Blacks, Hispanics and everybody who doesn't want to slap them in jail until we can ship them back where they came from.
    I don't think this is going to blow over, either. Their ignorance and certainty have changed the way I think about them to the point that I'd really rather not be around them.

Banned forever.....or not
    My Lard-ass fat head brother is a Bush man. If fact, he reminds me of Bush, except that he has an even lower IQ than Bush has. We get along Reeeeeaaaal gooooood.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Quiet, daddy's drinking

Are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    Your father sounds like a good man Isn't he always right?

He's a lawyer, of course he is always right! He is a good man but he has spent too much time watching Fox news and being brain washed by the subliminal messages.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Quiet, daddy's drinking

Have I told you about my twin brother?

I have a twin brother who does not watch the news or read a newspaper, he gets all his information from Rush. Yea, we have some very animated discussions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So which of you is the 'evil twin brother'? Let me guess - since Dad and bro both listen to Rush and know how to vote, it must be you
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

Shirtcocker
    So which of you is the 'evil twin brother'? Let me guess - since Dad and bro both listen to Rush and know how to vote, it must be you
    Steam...can't you at least admit that Limbaugh is the right's answer to Al Franken?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

use the crosswind
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Steam...can't you at least admit that Limbaugh is the right's answer to Al Franken?
    It's the other way 'round. Except Franken fact checks.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

Quiet, daddy's drinking

Not the evil twin.

But I am the black sheep of the family. My parents, twin brother and his wife, other brother ( a banker) and his wife are all right wingers. I took after my grandfather, a true liberal and personal friend of Adlai Stevenson.

use the crosswind
    My big family fight happened just before the invasion of Iraq actually. My wife and I got into an argument with a brother-in-law. He's a good guy, generous, but not college-educated, and he often doesn't have a lot of facts to back up his POV. And, worst of all, when he drinks too much and it gets late, which for him is after 10pm, his Mr. Hyde/Tony Soprano side comes out. I knew I shouldn't even raise the issue with him but, loosened by free-flowing wine, my tongue began to wag. His argument for the invasion was that it was akin to the good fight of WWII, that Saddam perped 9/11. When my wife and I said otherwise he suggested we leave the country. Finally he told us to leave his apt. The next day he left a message of apology on our machine, but our relationship has never been quite the same.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    My big family fight happened just before the invasion of Iraq actually. My wife and I got into an argument with a brother-in-law. He's a good guy, generous, but not college-educated, and he often doesn't have a lot of facts to back up his POV. And, worst of all, when he drinks too much and it gets late, which for him is after 10pm, his Mr. Hyde/Tony Soprano side comes out. I knew I shouldn't even raise the issue with him but, loosened by free-flowing wine, my tongue began to wag. His argument for the invasion was that it was akin to the good fight of WWII, that Saddam perped 9/11. When my wife and I said otherwise he suggested we leave the country. Finally he told us to leave his apt. The next day he left a message of apology on our machine, but our relationship has never been quite the same.
    And the sad thing is that both parties used this polarization to try and win the elections. For shame.