RoadBikeReview Member

Diesel fumes increase risk of heart failure

A UK study connects diesel fumes to heart problems:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-dfp071211.php

More a problem in Europe where diesel powered passenger cars are far more common than in the USA. But as fuel efficiency here has become a leading consideration, promoters of diesel powered cars are becoming more and more vocal as to their relatively high fuel economy.

A number of RBR posters have chimed in about the virtues of Volkswagen TDI's and lamented the absence of like vehicles from other manufacturers. That might be changing as GM will soon be offering a diesel Chevy Cruze:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/22/d...o-u-s-in-2013/

Should we be concerned? Hell yes - diesel use in passenger cars must be effectively regulated to ensure health risks are eliminated.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Are ya kidding? Have you seen what the EPA regs on tailpipe emissions are? Considering about half of the crap under any car's hood is dedicated to keeping emissions in check, I think they got it covered.

We're All Going To Die!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by muskat View Post

More a problem in Europe where diesel powered passenger cars are far more common than in the USA. But as fuel efficiency here has become a leading consideration, promoters of diesel powered cars are becoming more and more vocal as to their relatively high fuel economy.

A number of RBR posters have chimed in about the virtues of Volkswagen TDI's and lamented the absence of like vehicles from other manufacturers. That might be changing as GM will soon be offering a diesel Chevy Cruze:

Should we be concerned? Hell yes - diesel use in passenger cars must be effectively regulated to ensure health risks are eliminated.
    Have they found this to be the case with new low sulfur formulations?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    Are ya kidding? Have you seen what the EPA regs on tailpipe emissions are? Considering about half of the crap under any car's hood is dedicated to keeping emissions in check, I think they got it covered.
    I've been back and forth to London, off-and-on, for about 20 years now. Like a boat yard, it reeks of diesel.
    Hell is other posters

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

I guess you skimmed through the article and missed:

The 'invisible' particles – less than a millionth of a metre wide – can be filtered out of exhaust emissions by fitting special particle traps to vehicles. Particle traps are already being fitted retrospectively to public transport vehicles in the US to minimise the potential effects of pollution.
    Diesel particulate filters (DPF) have been in use for a number of years now. Retrofit kits are available available.

The VW TDI Clean Diesel gets DPF and in certain models AdBlue treatments also.

RoadBikeReview Member

European standards on diesel emissions are different than ours.

Not, it is important to note, better- just different.

They require different stuff to be filtered. So maybe this would be less of a problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Low rep power
    Diesel exhaust has also been connected to higher levels of pulmonary disease and lung cancer.

This isn't new news- I've been dealing with diesel exhaust in workplaces for years- specifically firehouses and bus/truck repair facilities.

Here's one reference, but you can google "diesel health effects" and find plenty more.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Good news everyone!
    I wonder if they did any studies on carbon monoxide's effects on health.

I have heard of a few people conducting their own garage research on the matter and they would probably tell you that even gasoline motors produce substances that are somewhat detrimental to your health.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Is it overall better or worse than gasoline fumes, the amount emitted for the same amount of transportation?
    Blows your hair back.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Diesel stinks, fouls the environment because it belches smoke, smells bad and feels unclean on your skin when you're around it, sounds noisy, and is altogether unpleasant and silly unless you need huge horespower. Screw diesel, I say.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by OES View Post
    Diesel stinks, fouls the environment because it belches smoke, smells bad and feels unclean on your skin when you're around it, sounds noisy, and is altogether unpleasant and silly unless you need huge horespower. Screw diesel, I say.
    Why do you hate the trucking industry.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by OES View Post
    Ed, I'm not sure if you're being your contrarian self or are serious with this post. Today's clean diesel engines and new environmental regs make them comparable to gasoline. They don't stink or belch smoke. Diesel fuel smells bad and is not great on your skin but that's only if you get it on you. Modern diesel engines are not noisy and it's not generally gobs of horsepower they create but torque. I'm talking about diesel passenger car engines here, not semi's, but the average Joe would not buy a semi for their commute. I like diesel. My son drives a diesel Jetta and it's a nice car. You really can't tell the difference between it and a gas Jetta except at takeoff the diesel will blow the doors off a gas Jetta.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Low rep power
    There's still the issue of fine particulate......
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln