Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

DRONE ON THE FARM: What would Bob Evans think?

An interesting application of military technology being considered: Farmers Experiment with Drones for Agricultural Crops - The CIO Report - WSJ

"First they came for the potato farmers, but I did not speak out because I did not grow potatoes...."

"They can have my drone-monitored potato when they pry it from my cold, dead, microwave."

"When farm drones are outlawed, only outlaw farmers will have drones."

Honestly, I thought it was an very interesting application of a technology, though the "repurposing" of the drones (for what?) is kinda scary.

We're All Going To Die!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    An interesting application of military technology being considered: Farmers Experiment with Drones for Agricultural Crops - The CIO Report - WSJ

"First they came for the potato farmers, but I did not speak out because I did not grow potatoes...."

"They can have my drone-monitored potato when they pry it from my cold, dead, microwave."

"When farm drones are outlawed, only outlaw farmers will have drones."

Honestly, I thought it was an very interesting application of a technology, though the "repurposing" of the drones (for what?) is kinda scary.

These things could potentially be used for very beneficial purposes and conversely for very horrible purposes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    These things could potentially be used for very beneficial purposes and conversely for very horrible purposes.
    I think we're talking more about this......
    DRONE ON THE FARM:  What would Bob Evans think?-small-drone.jpg
    and less about this....
    DRONE ON THE FARM:  What would Bob Evans think?-drone_bomb_01.jpg
    lets try to not get carried away...
    Not banned yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    I think we're talking more about this......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-drone.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	279272

That's correct; or at least, that's what I was thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member

That's correct; or at least, that's what I was thinking.
    you'll have to excuse me if I don't get too worked up about an RC helicopter with a GoPro...
    Not banned yet.

you'll have to excuse me if I don't get too worked up about an RC helicopter with a GoPro...
    Over time, as they continue become more advanced, we might happily find that they haven't lead to any problematic issues. I wouldn't bet on that but we'll see. I also suspect people could by necessity generally become more aware of the limitations of property and air rights because of these things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    "repurposing" of the drones (for what?)
    Pollinators
    "We did not have sexual relations with that man—Mr. Putin."—Republicans

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Pollinators
    hell fire missiles on the neighbors competing pot crop?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's interesting. For a few hundred bucks anyone can see what everyone else in the neighborhood has behind their backyard fence. And when they leave, it's up for grabs (we'll have to jam their home security drone first). No more private nude sunbathing, ladies. Also handy for private detectives following philandering spouses, insurance fraud cases, etc. This will be great.

I wonder how long until we see someone or some group like the Tsarnaevs utilize relativity cheap but rapidly advancing devices like these to enhance the effectiveness of a future deadly attack operation on a heavily populated event or location?

Name:  279272d1366323318t-drone-farm-what-would-bob-evans-think-small-drone.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  8.4 KB

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    It's interesting. For a few hundred bucks anyone can see what everyone else in the neighborhood has behind their backyard fence. And when they leave, it's up for grabs (we'll have to jam their home security drone first). No more private nude sunbathing, ladies. Also handy for private detectives following philandering spouses, insurance fraud cases, etc. This will be great.
    You have given me a wonderful idea for a new website.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I wonder how long until we see someone or some group like the Tsarnaevs utilize relativity cheap but rapidly advancing devices like these to enhance the effectiveness of a future deadly attack operation on a heavily populated event or location?

Name:  279272d1366323318t-drone-farm-what-would-bob-evans-think-small-drone.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  8.4 KB
    Isn't that a shot of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s newest flying HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    Occupy Wallstreet had the Occucopter to look out for the cops.

How long until the cops use compact UAVs loaded with various manor of advanced sensor devises to snoop and spy on what people do in their homes and businesses?

How long until law enforcement agencies have these loaded with bullets and flash-bang grenades to take out you own personal Occucopter?

What er yoo doing here?

Isn't that a shot of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s newest flying HQ?
    It's made by Geo Rhea.

The company slogan is "What on earth are you doing?"

Travels by Map
    Right. It's odd to me how people get so worked up over UAVs but not drones that are more commonly known as robots just because they happen to be ground vehicles. Why is one so much worse than the other? Either can be misused easily. (The movie Robocop comes to mind for ground-based drones).

Travels by Map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drone_bomb_01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	279273
    lets try to not get carried away...
    Somewhat related, The 'Canonical' Image of a Drone Is a Rendering Dressed Up in Photoshop - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic. I know the version you posted is clearly altered, but even the "original" is not a real image of a drone in operation.

3D - Property rights on the ground vs. air rights

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Right. It's odd to me how people get so worked up over UAVs but not drones that are more commonly known as robots just because they happen to be ground vehicles. Why is one so much worse than the other? Either can be misused easily. (The movie Robocop comes to mind for ground-based drones).
    There's another dimension of complexity involved with UAVs versus earth-bound robots and vehicles. If you, as a private citizen, drive a spying robot onto my property I can disable or destroy it. If you fly a spying UAV over my property but maneuver it to no closer than 500' from any structures on my property I can't legally do anything. If I take down your UAV in that circumstance you could report me for vandalizing your UAV (your property) and I would be legally liable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the article says nothing more than a "helicopter". you assume the type.

the police have been using those for decades obviously...I don't really see any difference.
    Not banned yet.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    There's another dimension of complexity involved with UAVs versus earth-bound robots and vehicles. If you, as a private citizen, drive a spying robot onto my property I can disable or destroy it. If you fly a spying UAV over my property but maneuver it to no closer than 500' from any structures on my property I can't legally do anything. If I take down your UAV in that circumstance you could report me for vandalizing your UAV (your property) and I would be legally liable.

So if I attach a scope with a rangefinder to my shotgun and, while aiming, find that a flying drone is inside of the 500' limit I am justified in opening fire on said drone?

Of course, I'll have some type of recording device plugged into said scope recording said encounter.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    So if I attach a scope with a rangefinder to my shotgun and, while aiming, find that a flying drone is inside of the 500' limit I am justified in opening fire on said drone?

Of course, I'll have some type of recording device plugged into said scope recording said encounter.
    If you live within a city or municipality I suspect you would probably still be in legal trouble of a different sort.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    If you live within a city or municipality I suspect you would probably still be in legal trouble of a different sort.

O.K. How about rural then?
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

the article says nothing more than a "helicopter". you assume the type.

the police have been using those for decades obviously...I don't really see any difference.
    If you're referring to the Slate article about Boston, you're incorrectly inferring something that I wasn't saying at all. Helicopters are very different animals from micro UAVs. I seen the comparison drawn between the two recently and I find it to be specious.

The point of interest to me in the article, because it shows how law enforcement is utilizing technology, is that they used ground traversing robots and a thermal camera. A micro UAV with a thermal camera probably could have performed the same task as the robots and police helicopter/s.

Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    O.K. How about rural then?
    As I understand it from what I've read, as long as it's legal to shoot there and the privately owned micro UAV is within the 500' range, you should be in no trouble at all. The FAA is still trying to figure out the regulations for these things and running behind schedule so things are still largely up in the air (no pun intended).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast