Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Evil Republican CEO gets revenge on Florida for voting Obama

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7763193.story

In the largest staff reduction in its nearly 100-year history, Orlando Health is cutting up to 400 jobs starting immediately, hospital system officials announced Monday.

Orlando Health officials called the cost-cutting moves necessary.

"Health-care reform mandates and changes in reimbursement structures for Medicare and Medicaid are forcing health-care organizations throughout the U.S. to confront new challenges,"
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

shorter Orlando Health: "We'll blame a 0.025% reduction in staff on the ACA."

libtard

What does it all mean?

1. Does this mean Floridians who voted for Obama get the credit for forcing a restructuring in the system that is effectively doing a little (probably tiny) something to contain upwardly spiraling health care costs?

2. How much will Orlando Health's staff increase by over the next five years due Florida for voting Obama?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    "If you are going to be stupid then you have to be tough". - Tony Stewart

n00bsauce
    Does anybody expect to get health CARE costs under control without affecting staffing? Staffing is the largest single component of the health care system.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    my hospital layed off about 10% of its staff at the start of the recession...since then the staff has grown about 15%. restructuring always means somebody's job is affected. More will be hired. Health care is 17% of the nation's GDP and growing.

nice try though...jobs lost through attrition? oh, the horror.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Does anybody expect to get health CARE costs under control without affecting staffing? Staffing is the largest single component of the health care system.
    As it should be. If being a neurosurgeon paid 10 bucks an hour, no one smart enough to be a neurosurgeon would elect to go into the field in the first place.

As far as fixing the cost of healthcare, a great way to start would be to stop cost shifting. That would look something like this.

National average for inguinal hernia repair (cost shifting): $7,100.00
    Inguinal Hernia Repair Surgery Cost Comparison | NewChoiceHealth.com

Surgery Center of Oklahoma (cash or certified check only): $3,060.00

Surgery Center of Oklahoma

That $3,060.00 covers the facility, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. All prices and exceptions are clearly disclosed up front as are the center's post op infection rate which is well below the national average.

That's less than half the national average. Just don't expect them to take Medicaid, Medicare, insurance or credit cards.

Seems fairly simple to me.

n00bsauce
    Cost shifting doesn't mean the costs aren't there. They're still in the health care economy. They get paid one way or the other. There are many ways to increase efficiency and lower costs within the health care system that would not affect outcomes. In fact, there are many ways to both reduce costs and improve outcomes, even in our model of health care and health insurance.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Same thing with the cost of government.

banned
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, try sitting over six hours in an emergency room will your wife is in pain and should be looked at immediately only to see the staff playing grab-ass with each other or socializing instead of working. Sorry, I have no sympathy for a the deadwood we have infesting our hospitals getting the ax. We need to cut our losses and streamline the system.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Same thing with the cost of government.
    Not exactly. Government at the local level has seen significant cutting in the past 10 years. However, the powers that be (ne: elected officials) haven't cut programs. Fewer people, same service expected. Many local governments have been at or beyond their ability to provide expected services. So tell me, what services don't you want to get? Then convince enough of your fellow citizens to support you and run for office so you can cut them. Just don't expect the same or more services while cutting staff, particularly at the local level.

Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsushita View Post
    Yeah, try sitting over six hours in an emergency room will your wife is in pain and should be looked at immediately only to see the staff playing grab-ass with each other or socializing instead of working. Sorry, I have no sympathy for a the deadwood we have infesting our hospitals getting the ax. We need to cut our losses and streamline the system.
    were these grab-ass employees you witnessed actually responsible for or able to provide your wife with care? If your wife was still breathing on her own, she didn't need to be looked at immediately. Not in most ED's - yours might be poorly run, I don't know. I will agree there are systematic changes needed in health care delivery and the physician-centered paradigm needs to change dramatically to a patient-centered paradigm.

this article wasn't really about any of that though...
    Not banned yet.