Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    libtard

Factbox: Violent Anti-Sikh Incidents in U.S. Since 2001

Sometimes it's difficult to not believe that America is leading the world down the path to idiocracy.

I'd like to see some sane and respectful discussion here as the fact come to be known and I hope the pinheads and chuckleheads won't descend upon this thread and succeed at getting it locked too.

A shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin on Sunday in which at least seven people died, including the suspected gunman, is the latest in a number of violent incidents in the United States against Sikhs, who are sometimes confused with Muslims. ...

...Since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United Sattes perpetrated by the Islamist militant group al-Qaeda, Sikh men have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because they wear turbans and their hair and beards uncut. ...

...The Sikh Coalition advocacy group, the largest civil rights group for Sikhs in the United States, said it had received thousands of requests for assistance from members of the community related to employment discrimination, hate crimes and school bullying since the 9/11 attacks.

Rajdeep Singh, director of law and policy for the Sikh Coalition, said it was hard to tell exactly how many incidents there had been against Sikhs because the FBI lumps them with anti-Islamic hate crimes in its statistics.

Here are some of the incidents against Sikhs in the United States since the 2001 attacks:

** In September 2001, an Arizona gas station owner, Balbir Singh Sodhi, was shot five times and killed by a man who mistook him for a Muslim and was seeking revenge for the hijacked plane attacks on the United States.

** In July 2004, Rajinder Singh Khalsa and his cousin, Gurcharan Singh, were beaten while walking to a restaurant in New York by intoxicated assailants who shouted profanities at them and insulted their turbans. Khalsa sustained multiple fractures to his face.

** In January 2008, Baljeet Singh, 63, suffered a broken jaw and nose in a beating while walking to a gurdwara in Jamaica, New York, by a man who swore at him and called him an Arab.

** In November 2010, cab driver Harbhajan Singh attacked in West Sacramento by a passenger who shouted racial epithets at him, called him a Muslim and punched him in the face several times. He suffered spinal and facial fractures. The two men involved pleaded no contest to assault charges.

** In March 2011, two Sikh men shot while taking an afternoon walk in Elk Grove, California, near Sacramento. Surinder Singh, 65, died at the scene and Gurmej Atwal died six weeks later. No one has been charged in connection with the deaths.

** In February 2012, a gurdwara, or Sikh house of worship, in Michigan was defaced with graffiti.

libtard
    Man Charged with Firebombing NY Mosque, Hindu Temple - Southern Poverty Law Center

A New York man who told police he intended to kill “as many Muslims and Arabs as possible” faces a maximum sentence of life in prison for allegedly firebombing an Islamic mosque and a Hindu temple on New Year’s Day. ...

... The attacks came amid a trend of rising hate crime targeting Muslims. FBI statistics for 2010, the latest available, show that anti-Muslim hate crimes shot up by 50% over the previous year. That is apparently the result of controversy surrounding an Islamic center planned near the site of the former World Trade Center in lower Manhattan, along with the rapid spread of anti-Muslim rhetoric by opportunistic politicians and Islamophobic propagandists. Last year, the number of anti-Muslim hate groups counted by the Southern Poverty Law Center tripled, from 10 in 2010 to 30 in 2011. ...

... meantime, the Department of Justice has announced that it will join local law enforcement to investigate attacks on Muslim and Sikh houses of worship in the Detroit metropolitan area. On Feb. 6, police in Sterling Heights, Mich., learned that a Sikh temple, or gurdwara, had been spray-painted with graffiti depicting a gun and a Christian cross, along with misspelled words including, “Dont Builed,” “fcuk you,” and “Mohmed,” (likely in reference to the Islamic prophet Muhammad, who is not a holy figure in the Sikh religion), leading some to suggest that the attack was actually aimed at Muslims.

It wouldn’t be the first time Sikhs have been mistakenly victimized by anti-Muslim bigots since 9/11. Last September, a Sikh-owned convenience store in North Carolina was heavily damaged by an arsonist who marked the 10th anniversary of the attacks with hate graffiti reading “9-11 Go Home.” Six months earlier, Surinder Singh, 65, was shot and killed in Elk Grove, Calif., while walking with his friend Gurmej Atwal, 78, who was critically injured and later died. Both were wearing dastars (traditional Sikh turbans) and long beards common to men of that faith.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The sad truth is that most Americans have virtually no knowledge of any culture or religion other than their own. We have largely become a nation of angry, frightened xenophobes who see anyone other than white Christians as "threatening". While most manage to contain their anger and fear to themselves and the Internet, a few think that they are fighting for "freedom" by attacking anything with a head covering since it must be a terrorist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Sometimes it's difficult to not believe that America is leading the world down the path to idiocracy.

I'd like to see some sane and respectful discussion here as the fact come to be known and I hope the pinheads and chuckleheads won't descend upon this thread and succeed at getting it locked too.

A shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin on Sunday in which at least seven people died, including the suspected gunman, is the latest in a number of violent incidents in the United States against Sikhs, who are sometimes confused with Muslims. ...

...Since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United Sattes perpetrated by the Islamist militant group al-Qaeda, Sikh men have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because they wear turbans and their hair and beards uncut. ...

...The Sikh Coalition advocacy group, the largest civil rights group for Sikhs in the United States, said it had received thousands of requests for assistance from members of the community related to employment discrimination, hate crimes and school bullying since the 9/11 attacks.

Rajdeep Singh, director of law and policy for the Sikh Coalition, said it was hard to tell exactly how many incidents there had been against Sikhs because the FBI lumps them with anti-Islamic hate crimes in its statistics.

Here are some of the incidents against Sikhs in the United States since the 2001 attacks:

** In September 2001, an Arizona gas station owner, Balbir Singh Sodhi, was shot five times and killed by a man who mistook him for a Muslim and was seeking revenge for the hijacked plane attacks on the United States.

** In July 2004, Rajinder Singh Khalsa and his cousin, Gurcharan Singh, were beaten while walking to a restaurant in New York by intoxicated assailants who shouted profanities at them and insulted their turbans. Khalsa sustained multiple fractures to his face.

** In January 2008, Baljeet Singh, 63, suffered a broken jaw and nose in a beating while walking to a gurdwara in Jamaica, New York, by a man who swore at him and called him an Arab.

** In November 2010, cab driver Harbhajan Singh attacked in West Sacramento by a passenger who shouted racial epithets at him, called him a Muslim and punched him in the face several times. He suffered spinal and facial fractures. The two men involved pleaded no contest to assault charges.

** In March 2011, two Sikh men shot while taking an afternoon walk in Elk Grove, California, near Sacramento. Surinder Singh, 65, died at the scene and Gurmej Atwal died six weeks later. No one has been charged in connection with the deaths.

** In February 2012, a gurdwara, or Sikh house of worship, in Michigan was defaced with graffiti.
    If you want a reasonable discussion you might want to not start it with "chucklehead and pinhead" lables.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner View Post
    The sad truth is that most Americans have virtually no knowledge of any culture or religion other than INCLUDING their own.
    Fixed it for you.... I try to stay out of PO for so many reasons, but the shootings today were literally, too close for comfort....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

"Maybe those dern sikhs should've thought about this before flying airplanes into Americuh."

libtard
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    If you want a reasonable discussion you might want to not start it with "chucklehead and pinhead" lables.
    You're right, the descriptions "chuckleheads" and "pinheads" don't do justice to the highly intelligent (they should all be members of Mensa International, really) and completely rational players (did you know it's just being called an act of domestic terrorism so the FBI can move in with their investigation just so the Feds pick up the bill?) who swarmed Marc's thread with blatant posting violations leading to it being locked. I apologize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're right, the descriptions "chuckleheads" and "pinheads" don't do justice to the completely intelligent and rational players who swarmed Marc's thread with blatant posting violations leading to it being locked. I apologize.
    They weren't unprovoked. The language that begins most of the threads here lately begins with insults rather than appeals to reason. I don't care, you can talk to people any way you choose but people who are offended reply like....................people who have been offended.

libtard
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Fixed it for you.... I try to stay out of PO for so many reasons, but the shootings today were literally, too close for comfort....
    You're a neighbor?

libtard
    They weren't unprovoked. The language that begins most of the threads here lately begins with insults rather than appeals to reason. I don't care, you can talk to people any way you choose but people who are offended reply like....................people who have been offended.
    wow

I can't believe you're defending stuff that was so totally out of line and the justification you're trying to use to do it. What exactly was it about the language Marc used in his OP to begin the thread that provoked and made justifiable the blatant posting violation by others?

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    LazySpinner and Touchogray have nailed this.

Many Americans are stunningly ignorant about other cultures and even their own. They buy into the whole "Christian foundation of the country" as though it were true.

"I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.
    -- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

The religious right, which happens to be neither, has promoted intolerance, bigotry, superstition, ignorance, and, in many cases, hatred. They have done this country a huge disservice.

Frog Whisperer
    You're a neighbor?
    close enough.............towards madison
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    wow

I can't believe you're defending stuff that was so totally out of line and the justification you're trying to use to do it. What exactly was it about the language Marc used in his OP to begin the thread that provoked and made justifiable the blatant posting violation by others?
    Maybe it was not so much the OP as the respondents. To many on the left a 'reasonable' discussion is just an echo chamber.

PaxRomana quote:

"The religious right, which happens to be neither, has promoted intolerance, bigotry, superstition, ignorance, and, in many cases, hatred. They have done this country a huge disservice."

Now is this an effort to promote a reasonable discussion of Christianity?

libtard
    Maybe it was not so much the OP as the respondents. To many on the left a 'reasonable' discussion is just an echo chamber.
    Well you've certainly convinced at least one person about why those posting violations were justified: yourself. By all means please feel free boycott this thread... er... I mean, echo chamber and start you own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to break the news to you, BUT as political internet forums mature they generally become echo chambers for either side.

Unfortuantely this internet characteristic is being emulated in Washinton DC and other "capitol" venues.
    Do Not Respond List:

AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

We cannot Moderate every thread or every post. By and large, if we receive no complaints about a post and it slips down past the current crop of active threads, we will not retroactively edit it. Feel free to use the “report post” button if you see something that merits attention. As before, direct insults towards other member will be an immediate time-out. Most other things will be edited and discussed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're a neighbor?
    Way too close to home. Hour away, maybe less.

But honestly, anywhere is too close.

This is insane.

I really don't want to turn this into some big stupid anti gun thing, but I know alcoholics and addicts have to hit bottom before they realize they have a problem.

At what point do we hit rock bottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

libtard
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Way too close to home. Hour away, maybe less.

But honestly, anywhere is too close.

This is insane.

I really don't want to turn this into some big stupid anti gun thing, but I know alcoholics and addicts have to hit bottom before they realize they have a problem.

At what point do we hit rock bottom?

I have some connections to the Milwaukee area but yeah, anywhere is too close. I agree with you on all points.

donuts?
    we have no idea why this happened and any speculation at this point does a disservice to the victims. assigning a political motive is ugly.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    "Towelheads."
    Yeah if this turns out to be some sort of skinhead type jackass, the fact that they were Sikhs rather than Muslims probably didn't matter in the least to him.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post

Many Americans are stunningly ignorant about other cultures and even their own. They buy into the whole "Christian foundation of the country" as though it were true.

"I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.
    -- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

The religious right, which happens to be neither, has promoted intolerance, bigotry, superstition, ignorance, and, in many cases, hatred. They have done this country a huge disservice.
    Says the guy who looks adoringly at a person wearing a shirt that says "Jesus is a cun..."

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post

Maybe we should look at this as how many Americans simply want to forget about religion and politics. Many immigrants fled their home country because of religious and political persecution. Some of these immigrants are now free to chose if and how they want to practice their religion. To say many Americans are ignorant about other cultures and even their own simply is not true. Maybe it is best to say we as a nation are more intolerant to other people's views and beliefs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    No Matsushita I disagree. Many Americans are very ignorant and very condescending towards other cultures.
    There are obviously lots of Americans who are open minded and well informed as well.

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    No Matsushita I disagree. Many Americans are very ignorant and very condescending towards other cultures.
    There are obviously lots of Americans who are open minded and well informed as well.
    Isn't having this view just as ignorant and condescending? Let us not forget America is made up of many cultures and religions. So, you have to ask yourself what the definition of an American is.

donuts?
    i live in America. it's filled with clueless morons. film at eleventy.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast