Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Feb 2011

FEDERAL AID: 101 million recipients, surpasses number of private sector jobs

The number of Americans receiving subsidized food assistance from the federal government has risen to 101 million, representing roughly a third of the U.S. population.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that a total of 101,000,000 people currently participate in at least one of the 15 food programs offered by the agency, at a cost of $114 billion in fiscal year 2012.

That means the number of Americans receiving food assistance has surpassed the number of private sector workers in the U.S.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were 97,180,000 full-time private sector workers in 2012.

The population of the U.S. is 316.2 million people, meaning nearly a third of Americans receive food aid from the government.

101M Americans Get Food Aid from Federal Gov’t; More Than the Number of Private Sector Workers | CNS News
    Is this a tipping point? More people on the dole than working in the private sector, full-time?

I have no idea. It just seems like a scary development.

And even though the article is from a right wing source, the key numbers are from credible, non-partisan sources.
    Last edited by Let'sRide; 07-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Is this a tipping point? More people on the dole than working in the private sector, full-time?

And even though the article is from a right wing source, the key numbers are from credible, non-partisan sources.

How many people with jobs get such assistance? Let's split out the workers from the non-workers.

How many kids? They are not expected to work, right?

How many elderly, retired folk?

What are you left with for numbers?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    How many people with jobs get such assistance? Let's split out the workers from the non-workers.

All good questions.

This story seems designed to elicit a knee-jerk reaction. But beyond that, I wonder how the numbers look, even when broken down to the relevant sub-groups. I'd like to see historical trends.

IMO this would be an excellent topic for some ambitious young economist, looking for recognition.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Last year a single person would collect $200 a month food stamps as long as their income was less than around $1100 a month. Many of the retirees on SS qualified for the $200.

As of Jan 1 of this year, a single person who has more than $500 a month income only gets $16 a month food stamps.
    I don't know what the income level is for total cutoff but I'm sure that number has been lowered also.

It will be interesting to see how much the program spent this year compared to last.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

All those numbers are trivial. None of them speak to reaching an economic tipping point.

Perhaps we should focus on how to:

1.) Change mindset that accepting assistance makes for an acceptable way of life.
    2.) Provide opprotunities for people to have jobs to buy what they need.

Sherry Tussler the exectutive director the Hunger Task Force in Milwaukee was asked how their organization works to "Teach a man to fish" vs giving a man a fish. Her response was " We found the best way to teach a man to fish is to sign them up for welfare..." WTF? She went on to say that "no one should ever have to wait in line at a church for food as we have plenty of federal government programs". Sorry, this mindset will only make the problem worse.

Seems to me assistance should start at the local level and only get elevated when local resources are exhausted.

donuts?
    considering Farm Aid and corporate welfare i'd say every person in the USA is getting federal aid for their food.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Anyone who puts dairy products or sugar in their coffee is benefitting from the price supports given to milk and sugar producers.

RoadBikeReview Member

This is what happens in a country that provides a "safety-net", but fails to provide jobs and/or compensation that covers the cost of living. And just in case it is not obvious: reducing or eliminating welfare won't resolve anything.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Big is relative
    Like posted previously, working families with low income, families with many children, extended families with dependents, etc can all qualify for federal assistance. Many of these people work more than one job and still can't adequately feed or shelter their family. Low ranking enlisted military members with a few kids can qualify for WIC and free lunches for their kids.

If there were 101 million Americans on welfare, that would be a big story. If there are 101 million Americans on some kind of assistance, I think a comparison of the last decades using a percentage of the population would reveal that we haven't changed that much.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did that reliable news reporting from CNSNews consider how much corporate welfare, agribusiness welfare and military/industrial complex welfare was being provided?

After all CNSNews says this about themselves:

CNSNews.com endeavors to fairly present all legitimate sides of a story and debunk popular, albeit incorrect, myths about cultural and policy issues.

- See more at: About Us | CNS News
    If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    yeah i was gonna make the point about corporate welfare, it also counts, or should count when the gobbunmint gives money to corporations, especially in the form of tax exemptions. take profit here you dont have to pay the tax is effectively "serious" business.

i think keynes got it as close to right as anybody, the relationships between the government and the private sector are complex, intimate, and, for all practical intents and purposes, permanent. the relationships can and will invariably change over the course of time, but the defining characteristic of the post modern economy will be the coexistence of boht sectors, good bad or indifferent. both here to stay

Master debator.
    Well yea, but it's our tax dollars that paid for it, might as well get some of our money back eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Anyone who puts dairy products or sugar in their coffee is benefitting from the price supports given to milk and sugar producers.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Who in their right mind ever puts anything, except a horse shoe to make sure it is strong enough, in their coffee?!?!?!?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    yeah i was gonna make the point about corporate welfare, it also counts, or should count when the gobbunmint gives money to corporations, especially in the form of tax exemptions. take profit here you dont have to pay the tax is effectively "serious" business.

i think keynes got it as close to right as anybody, the relationships between the government and the private sector are complex, intimate, and, for all practical intents and purposes, permanent. the relationships can and will invariably change over the course of time, but the defining characteristic of the post modern economy will be the coexistence of boht sectors, good bad or indifferent. both here to stay
    Yes but corporations are job creators- part of the 1% raising all boats with the trickling down of their employees' payroll. To compare them with the 47% of entitled, leech-like victimhooders is beyond the pale.

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Did that reliable news reporting from CNSNews consider how much corporate welfare, agribusiness welfare and military/industrial complex welfare was being provided?

After all CNSNews says this about themselves:

CNSNews.com endeavors to fairly present all legitimate sides of a story and debunk popular, albeit incorrect, myths about cultural and policy issues.

- See more at: About Us | CNS News
    Maybe you should hold a citizen grand jury on these pressing matters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh look. A school of red herring.
    Yep ---- pointing out the credibility and bias of a news source is next to communism. But at least CNSNews might answer a question like:

If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

banned
    Feb 2011
    Yep ---- pointing out the credibility and bias of a news source is next to communism. But at least CNSNews might answer a question like:

I get it. You want to change the subject.

Is this too unsettling for you? I pointed out the source is biased. What part of the story shows bias?

If your question is really that important to you, perhaps you could post it in the comments section. Let us know what they say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I get it. You want to change the subject.

Is this too unsettling for you? I pointed out the source is biased. What part of the story shows bias?

If your question is really that important to you, perhaps you could post it in the comments section. Let us know what they say.
    False equivalence my friend, but keep trying to defend your OP with red herrings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    Yes but corporations are job creators- part of the 1% raising all boats with the trickling down of their employees' payroll. To compare them with the 47% of entitled, leech-like victimhooders is beyond the pale.
    Do you own any stock? Mutual fund maybe? If so YOU are that corporation as you own it.

banned
    Feb 2011
    False equivalence my friend, but keep trying to defend your OP with red herrings.
    I do not think it means what you think it means.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Do you own any stock? Mutual fund maybe? If so YOU are that corporation as you own it.
    No all my savings are buried in an Etruscan urn in our backyard.

Still, your comment has no connection with your quote of me. Corporations are job creators- part of the 1% raising all boats with the trickling down of their employees' payroll. To compare them with the 47% of entitled, leech-like victimhooders is beyond the pale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Really? Is that something you actually believe? Last time I checked, I own plenty, but for some reason I have nothing to say about, compensation, outsourcing, executive pay, tax evasion and that elusive shareholder value that evaporated with the financial crash.

At this point I would rather see modest or no increases in my investments if it stopped the outright theft in the boardrooms and resulted in more jobs. If people have jobs and opportunities I will be fine.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Really? Is that something you actually believe? Last time I checked, I own plenty, but for some reason I have nothing to say about, compensation, outsourcing, executive pay, tax evasion and that elusive shareholder value that evaporated with the financial crash.

At this point I would rather see modest or no increases in my investments if it stopped the outright theft in the boardrooms and resulted in more jobs. If people have jobs and opportunities I will be fine.
    Really? Have you ever attended a shareholder meeting and tried to voice your concerns?

On a side note, which of your stocks is the company guilty of tax evasion?

gazing from the shadows
    Here's the employment to population ratio (working age actually working) since 1950.

Other than the "great recession", the trend has been for more people to work for pay over time.

The fact that more people need assistance is due to 1) a bad economic downturn that left a lot of un/underemployed and people who burned through their savings, and 2) jobs paying less and with fewer benefits over time. How many WalMart employees are eligible for assistance? Lots. How many Sears employees were in 1950?

I say zero, or near enough to zero not to matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FEDERAL AID: 101 million recipients, surpasses number of private sector jobs-emppopratio1950-2013.gif  
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast