Dr. Buzz Killington

Forward Deployed Army Bases Not Serving Hot Breakfasts

Since there is a reduction in force ensuing, 17 army bases so far have eliminated hot breakfasts for soldiers. It was originally interpreted due to budget cuts, but that isn't the case.

"Colonel Joseph Wawro, the commander of the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, said breakfast and the midnight meal are now MREs (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) at the affected bases, while lunch and dinner are still served hot. He also noted most dining facilities have take-away items like cereal, granola, energy bars, milk, juice, fruit, etc. for supplemental snacking.

"This has absolutely nothing to do with the national budget and everything to do with our responsible reduction of forces," Wawro said."

My objection to this is that MRE's aren't a good alternative. If you live on MRE's for too long, you'll be more backed up than the lines for the urinals at Yankees Stadium.

Army: Hot breakfasts in Afghanistan cut due to logistics, not budget – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

Moderatus Puisne
    I really value breakfast. I would not consider the MRE that I sampled to be an acceptable alternative.

But, this seems like it is saying this is a temporary situation as the military prepares to exit this theater and has withdrawn some of the kitchen facilities in advance of the soldiers.

If this is the case, and they still have access to the kind of cold continental breakfast at cheap hotels -- instant oatmeal, cold cereal, packaged fruit cups, what have you -- and, of course, coffee -- I'd suppose that would be all right.

Big is relative
    A big non-event.
    Retired sailor

Moderatus Puisne
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    A big non-event.
    Hey Bill -- I presume you've had the occasion to see what is in a "breakfast" MRE?

What is it, and, is it remotely edible?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Hey Bill -- I presume you've had the occasion to see what is in a "breakfast" MRE?

What is it, and, is it remotely edible?
    My guess would be the same thing that's in a dinner MRE.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Big deal, same thinsg I eat for breakfast every day now.
    "cereal, granola, energy bars, milk, juice, fruit, etc. for supplemental snacking."
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Dude, where the blue blazes have you been. This is not new by any stretch. We got cold meals or MRE's for breakfast since 2005!

RoadBikeReview Member
    another media non-troversy...
    Not banned yet.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Forward Deployed Army Bases Not Serving Hot Breakfasts

Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    another media non-troversy...
    this came from a credible news source. CNN, not faux news
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots