Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Motorator

Fox News: Obama not to blame for high fuel costs

Well, in fact they didn't mention Obama in the video clips attached - Bush was President when these broadcasts were done. But assuming all the Fox talking heads are full of integrity rather than hypocrisy, they would certainly be using the same spins today. I don't watch them so I can only assume that they are....

Beam me up, baby.

Big is relative
    Speculation drives gas prices. People bet on supply and demand and try to guess which one will come out on top. Drives the prices up.
    Retired sailor

I see trees of green
    This thread has caused me to do an advanced search for threads using the word "speculators" in PO. It's kind of amazing how many threads and posts there are dedicated to oil and gas prices... It's as if we have an energy problem in this country or something.

Lots of gems to found in the old way way back machine that are very interesting thanks to the perspective gained over time. For example, here's one by barry1021 from 08-08-2008.

It has a lot of upside, and compared to what alternatives?? The relative risks of offshore drilling are absolutely minimal compared to the risk of importing by tanker. Technology has improved a lot with environmentally friendly drilling fluids and better blow out preventers. Collateral damage?? Huh?? Your last comment is pretty silly, what fact checking are you doing exactly? And yes I would rather my money go to an American corporation and to American workers than to an organization whose members promote international terroism. I think its kind of ironic that you use the term "fact checking" when not one fact is offered.
    Dependence on Foreign Oil

It's a cold and stormy weekend here in SoCal... I think I've just found a nice backlog of interesting posts to read while we're shut in here. I suspect I find some interesting comments about speculators from 4 or 5 years ago.
    Last edited by TerminatorX91; 03-17-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    The relationship between gas prices and the Presidency is very simple...

If your guy's in the White House, then gas prices aren't his fault... unless they're low, in which case he's a genius.

If the other guy is in the WH, then high gas prices are his fault and THEN some. And if they're low, then he had nothing to do with it.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    The relationship between gas prices and the Presidency is very simple...

If your guy's in the White House, then gas prices aren't his fault... unless they're low, in which case he's a genius.

If the other guy is in the WH, then high gas prices are his fault and THEN some. And if they're low, then he had nothing to do with it.
    That about sums it up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I like how Fox News suggests:
    1 .Driving less
    2. Riding a bike
    3. Drill Baby Drill will not move gas prices significantly

RoadBikeReview Member

Is Roger Ailes getting senile?

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    I like how Fox News suggests:
    1 .Driving less
    2. Riding a bike
    3. Drill Baby Drill will not move gas prices significantly
    Is Fox News losing its ratings? Damn, drive less, ride a bike? Gimme a break!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only a fool would think that a president can control business, including the price of any goods and services.

If anything it is the other way around.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    The oil business isn't exactly "free enterprise", you can't start your own drilling company, it's heavily regulated by the government.

I think the point here is that the president's policies and comments could be sending a different message and that could help reduce speculation and these crazy price spikes. Might be true but doesn't really sound like it?

I don't like the guy's spending but it's not exactly like he can wave a magic wand and give us $2 gas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatlandRoller View Post
    The oil business isn't exactly "free enterprise", you can't start your own drilling company, it's heavily regulated by the government.

I think the point here is that the president's policies and comments could be sending a different message and that could help reduce speculation and these crazy price spikes. Might be true but doesn't really sound like it?

I don't like the guy's spending but it's not exactly like he can wave a magic wand and give us $2 gas.
    The problem is that oil prices are global. They are high in Europe, Asia, and Timbuktu as well. Even if Obama approved Keystone XL tomorrow and removed all drilling regulations, it wouldn't necessarily do all that much- we just don't control enough of the world's oil reserves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The president has been criticized for promoting alternatives to overseas oil. Clean and Clean are dirty words to some.

Do people realize that alternatives reduce demand and prices at the pump. Imagine much demand for oil there would be if Toyota did not make over 3 million Prius Hybrids? It was right to question the battery problems, but its been well over a decade and no battery problems.

Take it to a extreme - What do these critics have against Jobs?

By the way, every president back to Nixon, including the Bushes and Reagan, has warned of the weakness of America to overseas oil.
    Last edited by Killroy; 03-18-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Not Banned

indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    The president has been criticized for promoting alternatives to overseas oil. Clean and Clean are dirty words to some.

Take it to a extreme - What do these critics have against Jobs?

By the way every president back to Nixon, including the Bushes and Reagan, has warned of the weakness of America to overseas oil.
    but most do little about it besides talk
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Only a fool would think that a president can control business, including the price of any goods and services.

As you said though the President can make choices that create situations which cause changes in prices, such as invading countries.

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The problem is that oil prices are global. They are high in Europe, Asia, and Timbuktu as well. Even if Obama approved Keystone XL tomorrow and removed all drilling regulations, it wouldn't necessarily do all that much- we just don't control enough of the world's oil reserves.
    Keystone XL to the Gulf of Mexico is probably mostly for getting tar sand oil to refineries and the resulting fuels onto boats destined for other countries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Agreed. The crude oil prices are set on the world market and are based on estimates of future supply and demand. Future supply is evaluated with respect to global unrest specifically concerns with the mideast. If Obama did however move to open up drilling in ANWAR, federal lands, and offshore as well as expediting the implementation of hydraulic fracking this would indicate to the world that a large future increase in the supply of crude oil and natural gas would be available. Bobby Jindal (gov of LA) writes in a recent editorial that some estimate that the US could overtake Russia as the world's top producer of oil and gas by 2020. Good overall for the economy as well as national security.

Google - Obama's Politicized Energy Policy

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Of course the President can do practically nothing about gas prices... But that didn't stop Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton from blaming Bush when gas prices were high during Bush's presidency. Listening to the media today, you would think high gas prices are a blessing. What a difference 4 years make...

Gas Price Hypocrisy - YouTube

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgalante View Post
    Of course the President can do practically nothing about gas prices... But that didn't stop Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton from blaming Bush when gas prices were high during Bush's presidency. Listening to the media today, you would think high gas prices are a blessing. What a difference 4 years make...

Gas Price Hypocrisy - YouTube

Democrat leaders back then criticized Bush for his lack of an energy policy other than Big Oil - they were right. You didn't hear them pandering to voters as Republicans are now doing with promises of $2 a gallon gasoline.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner View Post
    Democrat leaders back then criticized Bush for his lack of a
    n energy policy other than Big Oil - they were right. You didn't hear them pandering to voters as Republicans are now doing with promises of $2 a gallon gasoline.
    Are you claiming that Obama has an energy policy? I think that would be news to Obama himself. Keep drinking the Kool-aid. The only one claiming $2.50 gas is even possible is Gingrich, and he still thinks we need a colony on the moon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Democrat leaders back then criticized Bush for his lack of an energy policy other than Big Oil - they were right. You didn't hear them pandering to voters as Republicans are now doing with promises of $2 a gallon gasoline.
    Check out the 2005 Energy Bill. Expansion of domestic clean coal, nuclear, oil, and gas - the increased oil production capacity touted by Pres Obama is largely a resut of the 2005 bill. Funding for research on conservation technologies. Funding for research on wind, solar, ethanol (mistake), lithium ion batteries, and hydrogen fuel cells. When Bush left office there were 22 applications for nuclear plants at the NRC - haven't heard much about those. But no funding for venture capital programs at Solyndra, Ener'1, or Beacon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post

Well, The Prez can push the Fed Chairman for more QE which will cause the value of the dollar to lower, which in turn will cause the cost of gas to rise.

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post
    Well, The Prez can push the Fed Chairman for more QE which will cause the value of the dollar to lower, which in turn will cause the cost of gas to rise.

Yeah and they can choose to invade and occupy a middle eastern country.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    You would hope Congress would have a say in those talks.

But, who likes to worry about all that red tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    I am sure a majority of your Democrats in the House and Senate voted to go to war also. I don't want to hear the old refrain, that they were lied to. It has been proven, that the information was as reliable as can be expected, when weapons inspectors weren't allowed in. ALSO, Iraq had 30,000 tons of chemical weapons that were verified a few years earlier. Did those just happen to disappear into thin air.

Of course, Obama claimed he voted against the war. He must have forgotten he wasn't even in office when the decree came down. Maybe he was visiting one of the other 56 states that day.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Well, in fact they didn't mention Obama in the video clips attached - Bush was President when these broadcasts were done. But assuming all the Fox talking heads are full of integrity rather than hypocrisy, they would certainly be using the same spins today. I don't watch them so I can only assume that they are....

that came about due to some left wing news trying to call out bill o'reilly on it by cutting his clip short.

when bush was president.... the democrats blamEd him, including senator obama
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member

Fact check

Quote Originally Posted by sgalante View Post
    I am sure a majority of your Democrats in the House and Senate voted to go to war also.
    FACT CHECK - The invade Iraq Scorecard

House of Representatives:

Yeas - 215 Republicans, 82 Democrats
    Nays - 6 Republicans, 126 Democrats, 1 Independent

Senate

Yeas - 48 Republicans, 29 Democrats
    Nays - 1 Republicans, 21 Democrats, 1 Independent
    If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast