Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Frontline of the Culture War

We moved to Maine a couple of months ago just in time for a campaign to use a referendum to overturn the gay-marriage law the legislature passed.

So placards are up everywhere either Vote Yes/No on 1.

I don't usually listen to the radio besides music but had to on a bus commute into work this morning and heard my first radio spot on the issue.

So this was the pro-referendum/overturn gay marriage law side. Interesting in that it wasn't anything about defending marriage or that homosexuality is wrong, etc.

The tack was if the gay marriage law is allowed to stand, your children will be taught that gay marriage is legal in school. Actually used a Mass. example where a 2nd grader ("come on, a 2nd grader" said with disgust and outrage!) was told two men could get married AND his parents were not allowed to take him out of the public school!

So you see, it's always about the kids, and those liberals are going to force your kids to be aware of alternative lifestyles!

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynebarry

So you see, it's always about the kids, and those liberals are going to force your kids to be aware of alternative lifestyles!
    School is not the place for that.

HS graduates seem to be nothing more than barely functional morons these days. Could it be because schools waste time "forcing kids to be aware" of things like alternative lifestyles when they should be teaching them how to read and spell?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Two words, private school. My kids attended and currently attend two excellent private schools. My son graduated from the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX and my daughter attends a very well known prep school in downtown Orlando.

These are not buildings used for social engineering, they actually educate the children.

Living downtown I have a lot of interaction with gays. They crack me up, on one hand they claim to just want to be treated like everyone else, then we have gay days, gay pride parades, they ask for extra rights etc...that's where they loose me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    School is not the place for that.

HS graduates seem to be nothing more than barely functional morons these days. Could it be because schools waste time "forcing kids to be aware" of things like alternative lifestyles when they should be teaching them how to read and spell?
    I agree 2nd grade is not the place for that. Although would certainly be appropriate in a middle school or high school social studies course.

That being said, assuming the anecdote is even true, do you really think it's part of the 2nd grade curriculum in Mass.? I would be shocked if it was, and why in the world wouldn't the parents be able to take their kid out of the school?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

did anybody else get that at the top of this thread?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Comer
    Living downtown I have a lot of interaction with gays. They crack me up, on one hand they claim to just want to be treated like everyone else, then we have gay days, gay pride parades, they ask for extra rights etc...that's where they loose me.
    So therefore, they shouldn't have the same rights?

I'm opposed to affirmative action ("extra rights", if you will) and agree "pride" parades are stupid, etc. but I don't think any minority person should be treated as anything less than a full citizen under the law.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    living downtown I have a lot of interaction with gays. They crack me up, on one hand they claim to just want to be treated like everyone else, then we have gay days, gay pride parades, they ask for extra rights etc...that's where they loose me.
    I thought you lived in some million dollar house? Or is it above a gay dance club? Whatever, in before the lock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

More cowbell!
    Hmm....want to be treated like everyone else and have parades to raise awareness. I guess these folks would've lost you too.

DFL > DNF > DNS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclo-phile
    Hmm....want to be treated like everyone else and have parades to raise awareness. I guess these folks would've lost you too.

In one word ... Priceless

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I want to know why a 5 yr old needs to be taught about masturbating and abortion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uidelines.html

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Two words, private school. My kids attended and currently attend two excellent private schools. My son graduated from the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX and my daughter attends a very well known prep school in downtown Orlando.

These are not buildings used for social engineering, they actually educate the children.

Thirty-three words:

If everyone sent their kids to private schools and had an HSA and gays didn't asked to be treated like citizens, America would be clean, perfect, gated Utopia and life would be good.

Not Banned

Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX

yeah no social engineering going on there at all

Orlando? Lemme guess, the Chrisr Academy or the First Academy
    New School seems to Lib for you
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Tan
    I want to know why a 5 yr old needs to be taught about masturbating and abortion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uidelines.html
    That's funny. I wonder why not. Maybe we could fill each other in. You first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OES
    Because it is an inapropriate intrusion on parental rights and duties. Nobody has any business teaching a 5 year old about sexual behavior outside of parental supervision.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Because it is an inapropriate intrusion on parental rights and duties. Nobody has any business teaching a 5 year old about sexual behavior outside of parental supervision.
    I learned about masturbation personally my ownself at age 5, and I can guaran-goddam-TEE you I was outside of parental supervision.

The guidelines say 12 for abortion. If I recally rightly, masturbation began to give way to other things about that time. That too, was outside of parental supervision. Everyone was flying blind. Especially the ones five years old and up.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Same for praying?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thirty-three words:

If everyone sent their kids to private schools and had an HSA and gays didn't asked to be treated like citizens, America would be clean, perfect, gated Utopia and life would be good.
    Well once the Mexicans and blacks are gone

Oops, that's right black people are O.K. with conservatives today, just not back when they went and got all uppity in the '50s and '60s. And they really don't have any problems with the Mexicans just the ones that are here illegally (wink, wink).

Unless of course they start having parades or cultural celebrations

Go Blue
    I find it ironic that those of the conservative persuasion complain about young children learning about certain things. The first time that my oldest daughter heard about abortion was when she was 7 years old and the conservative "christian" mother of one of her classmates, who was driving her in a car pool, had to set her straight when she said that her parents were voting for Bill Clinton (this was at the time of the 1996 election). The woman said that Bill Clinton and his ilk supported "killing babies in their mother's tummies" and then went into explicit detail as to exactly how this (abortion) was done. If I thought that this were an isolated incident, I would not post about it. But, I can remember being a Catholic school student at the time Roe v. Wade was decided and being given handouts with gory color photographs of aborted fetuses in class.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Well once the Mexicans and blacks are gone

Oops, that's right black people are O.K. with conservatives today, just not back when they went and got all uppity in the '50s and '60s. And they really don't have any problems with the Mexicans just the ones that are here illegally (wink, wink).

Unless of course they start having parades or cultural celebrations
    I was gonna add that Comer's perfect America would have no pesky gays, Mexes, or Negroes, and poor whites wouldn't exactly be welcome. But who knows? He may hold a heartful of love for all peoples, unless they sort of intrude on his line of sight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I learned about masturbation personally my ownself at age 5, and I can guaran-goddam-TEE you I was outside of parental supervision.

The guidelines say 12 for abortion. If I recally rightly, masturbation began to give way to other things about that time. That too, was outside of parental supervision. Everyone was flying blind. Especially the ones five years old and up.
    So did the teacher show you how to do it in your kindergarten reading circle or what? The idea that school is the place to teach this sh!t at the age of 5 is some kind of liberal wet dream.

The very fact that you had to be taught how to play with yourself brings your natural instincts into question.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    So did the teacher show you how to do it in your kindergarten reading circle or what? The idea that school is the place to teach this sh!t at the age of 5 is some kind of liberal wet dream.

The very fact that you had to be taught how to play with yourself brings your natural instincts into question.
    So what's the big whoop? Every kid who ever lived masturbated. Despite what the Christians would have you believe.

Shirtcocker
    I agree 2nd grade is not the place for that. Although would certainly be appropriate in a middle school or high school social studies course.

That being said, assuming the anecdote is even true, do you really think it's part of the 2nd grade curriculum in Mass.? I would be shocked if it was, and why in the world wouldn't the parents be able to take their kid out of the school?
    My kids have known about gay people since they were at least that old. I really don't get the big deal. Kids can pretty easily grasp the fact that some men like men and some women like women much easier than some adults can.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    My kids have known about gay people since they were at least that old. I really don't get the big deal. Kids can pretty easily grasp the fact that some men like men and some women like women much easier than some adults can.
    That is exactly why they make such good targets for indoctrination. They are sponges at that age, blank notebooks. I had never heard about gay at 5, of course, it wasn't "Gay" until I was much older. Back then a gay party just meant the people there had a lot of fun and it didn't necessarily imply sexual activity. A five year old could have a gay birthday party then.

Shirtcocker
    That is exactly why they make such good targets for indoctrination. They are sponges at that age, blank notebooks. I had never heard about gay at 5, of course, it wasn't "Gay" until I was much older. Back then a gay party just meant the people there had a lot of fun and it didn't necessarily imply sexual activity. A fife year old could have a gay birthday party then.
    So the simple act of telling them that gay people exist is indoctrination? Or could it be that they are indoctrinated to hate gays? Or those who are a different color than they are?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    That is exactly why they make such good targets for indoctrination. They are sponges at that age, blank notebooks. I had never heard about gay at 5, of course, it wasn't "Gay" until I was much older. Back then a gay party just meant the people there had a lot of fun and it didn't necessarily imply sexual activity. A five year old could have a gay birthday party then.
    I'm not even sure I had an idea what gay was in high school All we knew is there were girls who were Tom-Boys, and girly guys who deserved to be picked on and terrorized as a result. Talking to my college students nowadays even in NC, gay kids are pretty much accepted in High School. Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me that some of my fellow citizens get to live their lives without fear of being beat up or picked on constantly?

I guess what I don't get is why does someone care? Are people afraid their kids are going to end up gay if they are told about it? I mean what's the consequence? Fewer people living repressed lives doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast