Motorator

GE to buy 12,000 Chevrolet Volts

If GE follows through with this, it will be a big shot in the arm for GM and electric cars in general. I imagine there'll be a spillover effect to the overall economy as well. Just how and where it will take root is not clear, but my sense is that we could be on the verge of a significant expansion within fields dealing in green energy.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/11/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T2
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Cool, and doesn't GM stock go back on the market soon?
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

AJL
    Rock on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner
    If GE follows through with this, it will be a big shot in the arm for GM and electric cars in general. I imagine there'll be a spillover effect to the overall economy as well. Just how and where it will take root is not clear, but my sense is that we could be on the verge of a significant expansion within fields dealing in green energy.

Yeah, now we just need to get the Chinese to back down of their freeze of Rare earth metals till our own plants come back on line (I think we'll have a decent capacity in four years, all going well).
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Count me as a skeptic, but I won't be surprised to find there is some Govt. Stimulus! money (or other grants) involved in this.

However, if GE also gets to build a few nukes to provide the juice.....that would be a plus.

Call me a Fred
    Where is GE going to be plugging all those cars in?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    Well, they just installed a plug at my local grocery store, so there's one.

RoadBikeReview Member

in outlets..

most likely.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh
    most likely.
    My local GE plant wasn't built with outdoor outlets.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

n00bsauce
    12,000 Volts and $5million dollars is not going to affect GM or the car market or green technology in any significant way. As an example, there are 11.4 million CNG vehicles in the world and about 110,000 in the US (mostly buses). How have they affected the overall market for gasoline powered vehicles or green technology or the big automakers?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

banned
    You should tell them that they're big old poopy heads.

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    12,000 Volts and $5million dollars is not going to affect GM or the car market or green technology in any significant way. As an example, there are 11.4 million CNG vehicles in the world and about 110,000 in the US (mostly buses). How have they affected the overall market for gasoline powered vehicles or green technology or the big automakers?
    CNG doesn't demand much in new technology as would the adoption of electric power in the auto industry. You are simply substituting one fuel for another with basically the same powerplant. Lack of infrastructure hasn't helped stir up demand either.

Electric vehicles will be placing demands for new and improved technologies - e.g. batteries that have longer ranges, shorter recharging times, and which are cheaper in cost. Such technological advances will largely come from companies and organizations outside the automotive industry.

At the consumer level, new needs and demands will open the door to new business opportunities. As much of the 'refueling' of electric cars will be done at home, many consumers will be seeking independence from centralized power sources. The solar industry and wind power industry should benefit, and their technologies can only become more sophisticated and cost effective as demands upon them increase.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member

gonna need to buy..

some extension cords then....

RoadBikeReview Member

I like you Starliner..

CNG doesn't demand much in new technology as would the adoption of electric power in the auto industry. You are simply substituting one fuel for another with basically the same powerplant. Lack of infrastructure hasn't helped stir up demand either.

Electric vehicles will be placing demands for new and improved technologies - e.g. batteries that have longer ranges, shorter recharging times, and which are cheaper in cost. Such technological advances will largely come from companies and organizations outside the automotive industry.

At the consumer level, new needs and demands will open the door to new business opportunities. As much of the 'refueling' of electric cars will be done at home, many consumers will be seeking independence from centralized power sources. The solar industry and wind power industry should benefit, and their technologies can only become more sophisticated and cost effective as demands upon them increase.
    where so many skeptics want to say it can't be done, you're out there sayin' it can...easily. I know there are plans to create a charging corridor along I-5 between Canada and Mexico. I think Oregon is focusing it's initial efforts between Portland Eugene with some 42 sites at first.
    http://www.kval.com/news/local/105472803.html

too many here seem to think the American spirit of ingenuity is completely dead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Yep, everyone is against everything

Quote Originally Posted by bahueh
    too many here seem to think the American spirit of ingenuity is completely dead.
    It's much easier to oppose something then support it.
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

n00bsauce
    My comments were directed at your OP, not the technology. 12,000 units will not affect the market at all. Drop in the bucket. It won't affect consumer psychology, cost, profitability or anything else. Now, if you were talking 100,000 units it would be different. Ramp those 12,000 up 10 times and then we'll talk.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member

gasoline..

Quote Originally Posted by hikertoo
    It's much easier to oppose something then support it.
    has been around 100 years...its easy to understand the opposition to change. Older folks don't like it much as they tend to forget it's happened all their lives.
    It's completely myopic, but it's easy to understand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    My comments were directed at your OP, not the technology. 12,000 units will not affect the market at all. Drop in the bucket. It won't affect consumer psychology, cost, profitability or anything else. Now, if you were talking 100,000 units it would be different. Ramp those 12,000 up 10 times and then we'll talk.
    In the context of the first year of a new vehicle class 12,000 seems like a significant base...

"December 10, 1997 - Prius goes on sale to the public in Japan, fully two years ahead of any other manufacturer. First-year sales are nearly 18,000."

The thing that amazed me about the article is that GE has 30,000 cars...

http://www.toyoland.com/prius/chronology.html