Call me a Fred

GM discounts electric Chevrolet Volt up to $10,000

I guess that the price was too high.

General Motors is offering big discounts to boost sales of the Chevrolet Volt, a plug-in extended-range electric car that struggled to attract buyers until its price began dropping early this year.Discounts run as high as $10,000 per Volt, according to figures from TrueCar.com, an auto pricing website. They include low-interest financing and subsidized leases. Leases have run as cheap as $250 a month
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Talk about killing re-sale value.

Milk was a bad choice.
    Interestingly, it's estimated that a Chevy Volt costs between $60k and $70k to manufacture, resulting in around a $30k loss per vehicle that GM sells. Good thing we, the American taxpayers, are there to pick up the tab and subsidize this idiocy.

It costs $60,000 to $75,000 to build a Volt, including development, manufacturing and raw materials, estimates Sandy Munro, president of Munro & Associates, a Troy, Mich., a company that analyzes vehicle production expenses for automakers. Much of the cost comes from an expensive combination of two power systems _ electric and gasoline. With a sticker price of $40,000, minus the $10,000 the company pays in incentives, GM gets roughly $30,000 for every Volt. So it could be losing at least $30,000 per car.
    GM offers big discounts to boost Volt sales

RoadBikeReview Member
    At that price I might consider one ...
    I am still waiting in line for my Tesla model S.

GM discounts electric Chevrolet Volt up to $10,000

General Motors is offering big discounts to boost sales of the Chevrolet Volt, a plug-in extended-range electric car that struggled to attract buyers until its price began dropping early this year. Discounts run as high as $10,000 per Volt, according to figures from TrueCar.com, an auto pricing website. They include low-interest financing and subsidized leases. Leases have run as cheap as $250 a month

Sales of the $39,995 car have quadrupled this year, and set a monthly record in August. They show that Americans, who have been slow to embrace electric cars, are willing to buy them if prices are low enough. But electrics have a long way to go before they enter the mainstream and generate profits. Electrics and gas-electric hybrids account for 3.5% of U.S. auto sales this year.

GM is losing thousands of dollars on every Volt. News agency Reuters recently estimated losses run up to $49,000 a per car. GM denied the report. Volt's technology is also going into other cars, such as a new small Cadillac under development. The Chevrolet Volt can run about 25 miles on its batteries and electric motors before a gas engine takes over. Because it can be recharged by plugging in, owners rarely need to fill up at gas stations. But the car has been controversial because of the government bailout of General Motors and its cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Find me where I can find one at that price? Hint: you won't. Even true car shows an average off of around 1k. If all 2800 last month had been discounted that much it would of had a way higher average discount.

Of course, truecar sucks for dealers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truecar.com rocks
    I always recommend the site for the best car deals.
    Haggle-Free Car Buying Experience from Local Dealers - TrueCar

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    You can get better deals without it. Dealers pay a fee for every car that someone buys through them. It's built into the price truecar gives you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I respectfully disagree.
    Just get a TrueCar Quote online and take it to any local dealer and have them match the price ... done deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tesla S looks to be the real thing. Good to see the Japanese government subsidies having real benefits for the American consumer. That's what friends are for.

I don't see why everyone is so pissy about GM getting government handouts when farmers and oil companies are getting subsidies and such. Is it cause Obama's administration did it or is having an auto industry not really important to the national interest?
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Tesla S looks to be the real thing. Good to see the Japanese government subsidies having real benefits for the American consumer. That's what friends are for.

I don't see why everyone is so pissy about GM getting government handouts when farmers and oil companies are getting subsidies and such. Is it cause Obama's administration did it or is having an auto industry not really important to the national interest?
    I don't want any of the subsidies.

And we have plenty of cars built here that are successful. Just not GM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erj549 View Post
    Interestingly, it's estimated that a Chevy Volt costs between $60k and $70k to manufacture, resulting in around a $30k loss per vehicle that GM sells. Good thing we, the American taxpayers, are there to pick up the tab and subsidize this idiocy.

GM offers big discounts to boost Volt sales
    Didn't Toyota do the same thing with the Prius? The only reason that car ever came to market is because they could take a loss on each car. It was the Japanese government that payed to get that car to market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The government here gave tax breaks for "eco cars" made in Japan vehicles in the main. They also did it with "eco" appliances. It was meant to spur the economy but a subsidy on a long life product isn't that effective. The typical consumer here was like " oh good I am getting a discount paid for by the government". Yep most people still don't realise their government is bankrupt and will happily let the hole get dug deeper. In that way the tea party has a point but until they put defense and all subsidies up for cutting it's pure posturing.

The prius was selling well but not at a profit.
    Edit Signature here---------->

waterproof*
    CBO says electric cars are a waste of money.

CBO: Electric Cars Are A Waste Of Money - Business Insider
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know how far along we are in hydrogen technology, but I'd much rather see hydrogen cars on the road than battery powered ones. Battery is 1990s technology. Let's move forward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    I don't know how far along we are in hydrogen technology, but I'd much rather see hydrogen cars on the road than battery powered ones. Battery is 1990s technology. Let's move forward.
    People complain about the cost of electric cars now.

Add in a completely new infrastructure along with developing vehicles as well. I agree that hydrogen is the way to go but it won't happen for decades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    So, looking at the above comments, it makes me wonder why anyone would double down and give Obama 4 more years.

How many billions in stimulus went to benefit follies like electric cars, photo voltaic and wind energy manufacturers...in OTHER countries.

Motorator
    sigh......

Five myths used to bully Chevy Volt sales

After a month and 1500 miles with my Volt, including a 3 day 600 mile jaunt and a few 150 mile days, all I feel like saying is... 80+ mpg average with high level comfort and performance is very easy to live with. I look at BMWs and Mercedes cars around me and think, while fine cars as they are, how primitive they are compared to mine.
    Beam me up, baby.