Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467

    The Great Divide.....

    US judge says sorry over racist Obama email

    ..

    A senior US judge has apologized after sending an email containing a racist joke about President Barack Obama that equated African Americans with dogs, a newspaper reported.

    Richard Cebull, chief US district judge in the state of Montana, said he sent the email to a small group of friends because he is opposed to Obama. He acknowledged it was racist, but denied being racist himself.

    "Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this," said the email containing the offensive joke.

    Cebull, who was nominated by former president George W. Bush and has served as chief judge for the District of Montana since 2008, sent the message from his court email address on February 20, the Great Falls Tribune reported.

    The judge admitted that he sent the email to six "old buddies," the paper reported.

    "It was not intended by me in any way to become public," Cebull said. "I apologize to anybody who is offended by it, and I can obviously understand why people would be offended."

    "The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan," he added. "I didn't send it as racist, although that's what it is. I sent it out because it's anti-Obama."

    Travis McAdam, head of the Montana Human Rights Network, said the email was unbecoming of a federal judge. "It's one thing if the judge is not a fan of President Barack Obama," he said.

    But "we have a hard time believing that a legitimate criticism of the president involves distributing a joke that basically compares African Americans with animals," he added.

    Cebull insisted he was not racist, and did not show prejudice in court.

    "I have never considered myself that way," he said. "All I can emphasize is I've treated people in my courtroom all these years fairly. I don't think I've ever demonstrated racism. Nobody has ever even implied it."
    ..



    1) Should he resign.???
    2) If he has made any judgements against African Americans, should the cases be retried??
    .
    .
    .
    .
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  2. #2
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    US judge says sorry over racist Obama email

    ..

    A senior US judge has apologized after sending an email containing a racist joke about President Barack Obama that equated African Americans with dogs, a newspaper reported.

    Richard Cebull, chief US district judge in the state of Montana, said he sent the email to a small group of friends because he is opposed to Obama. He acknowledged it was racist, but denied being racist himself.

    "Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this," said the email containing the offensive joke.

    Cebull, who was nominated by former president George W. Bush and has served as chief judge for the District of Montana since 2008, sent the message from his court email address on February 20, the Great Falls Tribune reported.

    The judge admitted that he sent the email to six "old buddies," the paper reported.

    "It was not intended by me in any way to become public," Cebull said. "I apologize to anybody who is offended by it, and I can obviously understand why people would be offended."

    "The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan," he added. "I didn't send it as racist, although that's what it is. I sent it out because it's anti-Obama."

    Travis McAdam, head of the Montana Human Rights Network, said the email was unbecoming of a federal judge. "It's one thing if the judge is not a fan of President Barack Obama," he said.

    But "we have a hard time believing that a legitimate criticism of the president involves distributing a joke that basically compares African Americans with animals," he added.

    Cebull insisted he was not racist, and did not show prejudice in court.

    "I have never considered myself that way," he said. "All I can emphasize is I've treated people in my courtroom all these years fairly. I don't think I've ever demonstrated racism. Nobody has ever even implied it."
    ..



    1) Should he resign.???
    2) If he has made any judgements against African Americans, should the cases be retried??
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Why do you libs always hafta play the race card?

    Edit: Here's the joke, with punchline:

    "Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine."

    [A joke then follows:] "A little boy said to his mother; 'Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white?' His mother replied, 'Don't even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!'"

    Comedy gold. Why do you libs hate dogs, anyway?

  3. #3
    Iohannes fac totum
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Poor judgement on his part to pass it along.

    But to answer your questions:

    1) No
    2) No

  4. #4
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Poor judgement on his part to pass it along.

    But to answer your questions:

    1) No
    2) No
    I'm curious: On what basis did you make those answers?

  5. #5
    I see trees of green
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,967
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post

    1) Should he resign.???
    2) If he has made any judgements against African Americans, should the cases be retried??
    .
    .
    .
    .

    A

    1) Yes

    2) Any cases involving minority concerns should be reviewed.



    I don't expect either will happen.
    Last edited by TerminatorX91; 03-01-2012 at 09:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Reputation: PaxRomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,598
    Apparently, this is a man of limited intelligence and limited judgment. If he lacks the judgment not to pass something like this along, he has no business being a federal judge.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,746
    Wow, I honestly cannot even get the punch line of that joke. I guess you must be one racist mofo to see the humour there. I would hate to be black and end up in his court, that is for sure!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  8. #8
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Wow, I honestly cannot even get the punch line of that joke. I guess you must be one racist mofo to see the humour there. I would hate to be black and end up in his court, that is for sure!
    So, it didn't "touch your heart," like it did his?

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    Punch line

    makes it sound like Obama's mom was having sex with a dog.

    Not funny but not racist.

    No and No to the two questions.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,713
    No and No.

    Should he seek re-election? also no.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  11. #11
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,690
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Apparently, this is a man of limited intelligence and limited judgment. If he lacks the judgment not to pass something like this along, he has no business being a federal judge.
    A judge with bad judgement. Who'd a thunk it? I see a lot of recusal or substitution requests in the future.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  12. #12
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    makes it sound like Obama's mom was having sex with a dog.

    Not funny but not racist.

    No and No to the two questions.
    Curious as to your reasoning for your answer to the two questions.

  13. #13
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    No and No.

    Should he seek re-election? also no.
    Ain't he federal judge, with a lifetime appointment?

  14. #14
    Low rep power
    Reputation: saf-t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post

    He acknowledged it was racist, but denied being racist himself.
    Suuuuuuuuuuuure.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

    “The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    As to question #1, should he resign?

    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Curious as to your reasoning for your answer to the two questions.
    he forwarded a joke to friends, now while the joke may be crude and tasteless, it doesn't rise to the level that he needs to resign. We would have a lot of people resigning if anyone who ever forwarded an offensive e-mail was forced to resign.

    As to question #2, I don't feel that this is a racist joke - therefore no need to reexamine old cases.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,242
    I don't think the joke is racist per se. But, I think this joke is more spiteful and hurtful than any racial joke I've come across.

    It puts the judge's ability to perform on the bench as a human being in to question.

  17. #17
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,690
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    makes it sound like Obama's mom was having sex with a dog.

    Not funny but not racist.

    No and No to the two questions.
    No, the joke is saying she was having indiscriminate sex with a black man but it could have been a dog because the party was that wild. So a joke about inter-racial sex between a white woman and a black man with a dog as a punchline isn't racist in your book?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    I don't see it as racist, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    No, the joke is saying she was having indiscriminate sex with a black man but it could have been a dog because the party was that wild. So a joke about inter-racial sex between a white woman and a black man with a dog as a punchline isn't racist in your book?
    Crude and offensive but not racist. It is saying more about Obama's mother than being racist.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    No, the joke is saying she was having indiscriminate sex with a black man but it could have been a dog because the party was that wild. So a joke about inter-racial sex between a white woman and a black man with a dog as a punchline isn't racist in your book?
    More anti-woman than racist. As in, "Sorry, honey, but mommy's such a **** she can't remember if your dad was a black guy, a dog or the ottoman."

    Though somehow, and I do not understand how, South Park pulls this off with Cartman's mom and doesn't seem nearly as douchey.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  20. #20
    eminence grease
    Reputation: terry b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,561
    My favorite excuse these days, "It was not intended by me in any way to become public,"
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

    My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    My favorite excuse these days, "It was not intended by me in any way to become public,"
    That's my biggest beef with this idiot- who on earth hasn't figured out that forwarding a joke like that is pretty much a giant red flag of bad judgement?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    93
    Not rascist, not funny, the guy comes off as an idiot.
    ...cat 5 race...not a lot of experience...sometimes skewed thinking and beliefs...

  23. #23
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    he forwarded a joke to friends, now while the joke may be crude and tasteless, it doesn't rise to the level that he needs to resign. We would have a lot of people resigning if anyone who ever forwarded an offensive e-mail was forced to resign.

    As to question #2, I don't feel that this is a racist joke - therefore no need to reexamine old cases.
    Thanks for the reply.

    I'll buy your reasoning for #1. I myself have a penchant for crude, tasteless, even offensive humor, but I have learned to treat it like nitroglycerine; I'm careful who I use it around. We did a thread here a little while ago, on when humor crosses the line, that had some pretty good thoughts on the matter, maybe I can dredge it up.

    So I honestly have to admit I'm not in a position to judge him (other than the joke just not being funny--and I think a lot of things are funny) on question #1. But then, I'm not a federal judge, either, and nobody depends on me dispensing color-blind justice.

    And question #2, re revisiting trials, just isn't going to happen. I don't think e-mailing a racist joke is, or should be, grounds for opening a new trial, unless the defendant has other evidence to bolster the "racist judge" argument (like, say, being sentenced to far more than other defendants, with no other mitigating factors except skin color.)

    BTW, I think the joke, unfunny as it was, was indeed racist, and misogynistic, as noted by Mel, above.

    I think the judge needs to examine his motives, and ask himself if he's truly not racist. They say all of us are, to some extent, but that some of us overcome it. That's probably an issue for another thread.


    EDIT: This is the earlier thread I was referring to:

    POLL: Who thinks jokes about beating your spouse are funny?

    This was my contribution, springboarding (not kode) off JayTee's post:

    "I think the telling point for whether this sort of humor is apropos is what is the nature of the implied contract with the audience: is the joke that they're "in on" one that gives a wink and a nod to their agreement with what might truly be offensive in practice (e.g., spousal abuse, or racist behavior), as if it's truly ok, except for a buncha PC douchebags that have to ruin it for everybody; or is the joke more of a touchstone for the audience, a humorous pressure relief valve that attempts to add levity to a bad situation, while recognizing the genuine wrongfulness of the underlying situation?"

    (I have more, from a thread I started back when thieves stole the "Arbeit Macht Frei"* sign from Auschwitz and I joked that somebody had the ultimate work cubicle accessory, but [I]some[I] people didn't appreciate gallows humor.)

    *later recovered by the Polish authorities.
    Last edited by xxl; 03-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,225
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    I'll buy your reasoning for #1. I myself have a penchant for crude, tasteless, even offensive humor, but I have learned to treat it like nitroglycerine; I'm careful who I use it around. We did a thread here a little while ago, on when humor crosses the line, that had some pretty good thoughts on the matter, maybe I can dredge it up.

    So I honestly have to admit I'm not in a position to judge him (other than the joke just not being funny--and I think a lot of things are funny) on question #1. But then, I'm not a federal judge, either, and nobody depends on me dispensing color-blind justice.

    And question #2, re revisiting trials, just isn't going to happen. I don't think e-mailing a racist joke is, or should be, grounds for opening a new trial, unless the defendant has other evidence to bolster the "racist judge" argument (like, say, being sentenced to far more than other defendants, with no other mitigating factors except skin color.)

    BTW, I think the joke, unfunny as it was, was indeed racist, and misogynistic, as noted by Mel, above.

    I think the judge needs to examine his motives, and ask himself if he's truly not racist. They say all of us are, to some extent, but that some of us overcome it. That's probably an issue for another thread.
    He may have sent them to a select few expecting discretion on their part. The motive could have been the political content (anti Obama) rather than because he actually thought it was funny.

    He screwed up.

  25. #25
    xxl
    xxl is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    He may have sent them to a select few expecting discretion on their part. The motive could have been the political content (anti Obama) rather than because he actually thought it was funny.

    He screwed up.
    Absolutely. And really, even if the joke were funny, I don't know if that's a good enough defense. Time and a place for everything, right?

    If I can figure out my new Google Chrome interface, I will have to dredge that thread on comedy appropriateness.

    PO sidebar: I signed a community letter advocating a new operating levy for our local school, and noticed my signature happens to be next to that of the #4 lifetime scorer for the Bearcats' basketball team; two of the three guys ahead of him are in the NBA Hall of Fame. If our side ever has to play their side to decide the levy outcome, we're a lock.

    Jim Bowden (ex-Reds GM, current ESPN pundit) says the fastest pitcher in the world should go play Triple A ball, and he might be right:

    Chapman should go to Triple-A - The GM's Office by Jim Bowden Blog - ESPN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook