waterproof*

The Guardian connects the dots on OWS Police violence

* posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    "Interesting", that all you got Knees o' squeaks?
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

ab aeterno
    Hmm. Comes off a little too tinfoil hat for me. Hard to tell what's actually going on from up here, but our OWS group is still going in downtown up here.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Hmm. Comes off a little too tinfoil hat for me. Hard to tell what's actually going on from up here, but our OWS group is still going in downtown up here.
    Has it been getting any kind of media attention tho?

I didn't even know there was an OWS thing out here...until at work I saw a truant high schooler get chewed into oblivion by his teacher for skipping out on a mandated attendance function. Said kid said he skipped out on the required party to go to the local Occupy thing for a few hours.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Has it been getting any kind of media attention tho?

I didn't even know there was an OWS thing out here...until at work I saw a truant high schooler get chewed into oblivion by his teacher for skipping out on a mandated attendance function. Said kid said he skipped out on the required party to go to the local Occupy thing for a few hours.
    Yeah, the borough wants them off public property cause they are using a tent with a wood stove which equals camping but the city doesn't give a crap so they're still there. Also the OWS says the fire is necessary to exercise their 1st ammendment rights, which kind of makes sense. How do you protest at -40 without some way to warm up

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Some belated parental advice to protesters

By Marybeth Hicks

Call it an occupational hazard, but I can't look at the Occupy Wall Street protesters without thinking, "Who parented these people?"
    As a culture columnist, I've commented on the social and political ramifications of the "movement" -- now known as "OWS" -- whose fairyland agenda can be summarized by one of their placards: "Everything for everybody."

Thanks to their pipe-dream platform, it's clear there are people with serious designs on "transformational" change in America who are using the protesters like bedsprings in a brothel.

Yet it's not my role as a commentator that prompts my parenting question, but rather the fact that I'm the mother of four teens and young adults. There are some crucial life lessons that the protesters' moms clearly have not passed along. Here, then, are five things the OWS protesters' mothers should have taught their children but obviously didn't:

* Life isn't fair. The concept of justice - that everyone should be treated fairly - is a worthy and worthwhile moral imperative on which our nation was founded. But justice and economic equality are not the same. Or, as Mick Jagger said, "You can't always get what you want." No matter how you try to "level the playing field," some people have better luck, skills, talents or connections that land them in better places. Some seem to have all the advantages in life but squander them, others play the modest hand they're dealt and make up the difference in hard work and perseverance, and some find jobs on Wall Street and eventually buy houses in the Hamptons. Is it fair? Stupid question.

* Nothing is "free." Protesting with signs that seek "free" college degrees and "free" health care make you look like idiots, because colleges and hospitals don't operate on rainbows and sunshine. There is no magic money machine to tap for your meandering educational careers and "slow paths" to adulthood, and the 53 percent of taxpaying Americans owe you neither a degree nor an annual physical. While I'm pointing out this obvious fact, here are a few other things that are not free: overtime for police officers and municipal workers, trash hauling, repairs to fixtures and property, condoms, Band-Aids and the food that inexplicably appears on the tables in your makeshift protest kitchens. Real people with real dollars are underwriting your civic temper tantrum.

* Your word is your bond. When you demonstrate to eliminate student loan debt, you are advocating precisely the lack of integrity you decry in others. Loans are made based on solemn promises to repay them. No one forces you to borrow money; you are free to choose educational pursuits that don't require loans, or to seek technical or vocational training that allows you to support yourself and your ongoing educational goals. Also, for the record, being a college student is not a state of victimization. It's a privilege that billions of young people around the globe would die for --- literally.

* A protest is not a party. On Saturday in New York, while making a mad dash from my cab to the door of my hotel to avoid you, I saw what isn't evident in the newsreel footage of your demonstrations: Most of you are doing this only for attention and fun. Serious people in a sober pursuit of social and political change don't dance jigs down Sixth Avenue like attendees of a Renaissance festival. You look foolish, you smell gross, you are clearly high and you don't seem to realize that all around you are people who deem you irrelevant.

* There are reasons you haven't found jobs. The truth? Your tattooed necks, gauged ears, facial piercings and dirty dreadlocks are off-putting. Nonconformity for the sake of nonconformity isn't a virtue. Occupy reality: Only 4 percent of college graduates are out of work. If you are among that 4 percent, find a mirror and face the problem. It's not them. It's you.

oh, geez.

Naomi Wolf!?

really?

RoadBikeReview Member

Ok, then answer me this:

How come 38 mayors had a virtual conference with DHS reps, and come up with advocating brutality as a strategy in dealing with these OWS protestors? Why did they want to "clean them out?" And why did they go after news media and photographers covering the violence? I think these are legitimate questions that demand answer, in the interest of the 1st amendment right of free speech, petition of grievances and so on.

Many also sympathize with OWS speaking out against the obscene accumulation of wealth by those who have it, and the gutting of the middle class, the abuses of banks, and buying of politicians who then serve their masters faithfully, enjoying the fabulous financial rewards..

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico

How come 38 mayors had a virtual conference with DHS reps, and come up with advocating brutality as a strategy in dealing with these OWS protestors? Why did they want to "clean them out?" And why did they go after news media and photographers covering the violence? I think these are legitimate questions that demand answer, in the interest of the 1st amendment right of free speech, petition of grievances and so on.

Many also sympathize with OWS speaking out against the obscene accumulation of wealth by those who have it, and the gutting of the middle class, the abuses of banks, and buying of politicians who then serve their masters faithfully, enjoying the fabulous financial rewards..

Wolf is delusional and The Guardian is too good for this kind of fact-free nonsense.

The Shocking Truth About Naomi Wolf's Factless Assertions - Crooks and Liars

type "Naomi Wolf martial law" (without the quotes) into google.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

Wolf is delusional and The Guardian is too good for this kind of fact-free nonsense.

good stuff, thanks man
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Not Banned

never really

Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

liked her books either

not that I'm discounting this on that, but taking it with a large grain of salt
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering