Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 128
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713

    GUN CONTROL: 90 per cent

    Shameful, at least that's what the President thinks of the Senates' unwillingness to pass additional meaningless gun legislature. Really though, could he or anyone with a brain actually think that the Senators from Montana, New Hampshire, Alaska, Missouri, Indiana etc would vote for this. The talking heads over on MSNBC are absolutely beside themselves with indignation over the vote. I want to thank them for publishing the names of the Senators that voted no on this bill - saves me the work of having to look it up and I will know who to contact and thank for having the gumption to do the right thing.

    One of the jokers on MSNBC last night was actually blaming the NRA for impeding the investigation into the Boston bombing. Talk about a hate machine - that's all MSNBC is. It has lost all credibility as a news source.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    I saw Obama's statement on the bill not passing. More and more, he seems to use cheap sensationalism, full of victimhood, in his addresses. Especially when he's dealt a blow.

    For someone who has spoken so powerfully in the past, he sure is singing a different tune.

  3. #3
    We're All Going To Die!!!
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,829
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Shameful, at least that's what the President thinks of the Senates' unwillingness to pass additional meaningless gun legislature. Really though, could he or anyone with a brain actually think that the Senators from Montana, New Hampshire, Alaska, Missouri, Indiana etc would vote for this. The talking heads over on MSNBC are absolutely beside themselves with indignation over the vote. I want to thank them for publishing the names of the Senators that voted no on this bill - saves me the work of having to look it up and I will know who to contact and thank for having the gumption to do the right thing.

    One of the jokers on MSNBC last night was actually blaming the NRA for impeding the investigation into the Boston bombing. Talk about a hate machine - that's all MSNBC is. It has lost all credibility as a news source.
    That's a shamefully ignorant expression in the subject line if it were to have come from someone who had probably graduated from high school and had at least some post-secondary education; there's nothing intrinsically deceiving about the number or ratio 90% or .90 or nine tenths or 9/10ths.

  4. #4
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,404
    Harry Reid voted AGAINST it also.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  5. #5
    cheers
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,287
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Harry Reid voted AGAINST it also.
    You sure?:

    In addition to Heitkamp, the other three Democrats voting against the measure were Sens. Mark Begich (D-Alaska), Max Baucus (D-Mont.), and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.).

    Read more: Gun Control Background Check Senate Vote: Live - Business Insider


    Oh wait... here we go:

    Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) voted against it for procedural reasons as Senate rules will allow him to bring up the measure again.

    Read more: Senate gun control roll call vote: Senators who bucked their party - Dan Berman - POLITICO.com
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

    Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

    Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind


  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,104
    Polls --- Meaninglessness.

    Federal Courts uphold new Washington DC gun control law --- Powerful!

    Supreme Court declines to overturn New York's gun control law ---Thermonuclear.

    Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights case | Reuters
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

    John Kenneth Galbraith

  7. #7
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

    Oh wait... here we go:

    [/FONT][/COLOR]Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) voted against it for procedural reasons as Senate rules will allow him to bring up the measure again.

    Read more: Senate gun control roll call vote: Senators who bucked their party - Dan Berman - POLITICO.com
    Shocking, isn't?

    also
    Senate Amendment 715 to Senate Bill 649 aka Manchin-Toomey amendment.....
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  8. #8

  9. #9
    cheers
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,287
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Why would it be shocking for him to vote against it for procedural reasons so it could be brought up again?
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

    Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

    Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind


  10. #10
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    18,221
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Polls --- Meaninglessness.

    Federal Courts uphold new Washington DC gun control law --- Powerful!

    Supreme Court declines to overturn New York's gun control law ---Thermonuclear.

    Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights case | Reuters
    Say, did they poll the Justices?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Polls --- Meaninglessness.

    Federal Courts uphold new Washington DC gun control law --- Powerful!

    Supreme Court declines to overturn New York's gun control law ---Thermonuclear.

    Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights case | Reuters
    Did I miss something? Did the expanded BG bill pass ? I guess in this case a poll showing 90 percent support - whatever that means - didn't, in the end, matter.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  12. #12
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,404
    Because, prior to the vote of the Machin-Toomey amendment, Reid was blasting the Senate to vote for the bill, before he was against it at the very last second, using the procedural reasons as an excuse.

    The procedural reason is that in order to bring it up again, he has to vote with the winning side. See: Why is Harry Reid always voting against his own plans? (as Reid quoted in his facebook post)

    ....he most likely switched at the last second because he saw some of his Democrats voting against it.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  13. #13
    cheers
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,287
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Because, prior to the vote of the Machin-Toomey amendment, Reid was blasting the Senate to vote for the bill, before he was against it at the very last second, using the procedural reasons as an excuse.

    The procedural reason is that in order to bring it up again, he has to vote with the winning side. See: Why is Harry Reid always voting against his own plans? (as Reid quoted in his facebook post)

    ....he most likely switched at the last second because he saw some of his Democrats voting against it.
    I'm not up on Senate rules and procedures as much as a few posters here, but... I do think each party's leadership counts votes in advance, and know beforehand if a bill is going to pass or fail.

    Before the final vote, I would think Reid knew it was going to fail, and, as has been mentioned before, voted against it so that, by Senate rules, he could then bring it up again later.

    Not sure what conspiracy you're seeing here. Reid just wanted to be on the winning side? After very visibly expending political capital in favor of the bill? Don't think so. You can't pull off that kind of two-step successfully after being so visibly in favor of something.

    Not to mention that Reid doesn't come up for re-election 'til 2016. And Nevada ain't exactly a red state anymore.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

    Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

    Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind


  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,104
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Did I miss something? Did the expanded BG bill pass ? I guess in this case a poll showing 90 percent support - whatever that means - didn't, in the end, matter.
    Did you miss something?

    Only that the federal court system has upheld the new DC gun control measures which include some robust pre-acquistion gun background checks.

    The new DC law requires that all guns be registered. The person seeking to do so must submit fingerprints and two photographs, show knowledge of local gun laws, have visual capacity sufficient to get a vehicle driver’s license, prove completion of a gun-use or safety course, show how the gun will be used and where it will be kept, and notify District police if the gun is stolen, transferred, sold, lost or destroyed. For pistols, each weapon must be submitted for a ballistic ID test, for which a fee is attached, and no more than one pistol a month may be registered. Registration lasts for three years, but can be renewed.

    Oh, and then its the new tack bu the SCOTUS to duck gun cases as demonstrated by their latest decision to avoid touching the State of New York case.

    Nah -- you ain't missing nutt'n.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

    John Kenneth Galbraith

  15. #15
    We're All Going To Die!!!
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,829
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Polls --- Meaninglessness.

    Federal Courts uphold new Washington DC gun control law --- Powerful!

    Supreme Court declines to overturn New York's gun control law ---Thermonuclear.

    Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights case | Reuters

    Interesting. Since the Supreme Court declined to weigh in on whether gun owners have a constitutional right to carry handguns outside the home I wonder why it wouldn't possibly mean the same with regard to long guns?

    It seems that at the least, a state could require handguns be unloaded, 100% disassembled and the parts be locked in a transportable safe when moved to and from the owner's home.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,104
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Say, did they poll the Justices?
    Not sure of the SCOTUS procedure for determining which cases they will hear, and which they will not.

    My WAG is they will keep their powder dry until the federal appeals court decides on the Heller v DC II appeal case ... that decision could come at any moment. This is the blockbuster case which so far upholds the new DC gun management measures with the court saying these new rules are consistent with the 2008 Supreme's Heller v DC decision proclaiming reasonable regulations are Constitutionally allowed for the 2nd Amendment.

    The Senate's action yesterday was so predictable given the dysfunctional nature Congress has become. However thousands of guns will change hand this week without any determination if a murder gets armed.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

    John Kenneth Galbraith

  17. #17
    We're All Going To Die!!!
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,829
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Did you miss something?

    Only that the federal court system has upheld the new DC gun control measures which include some robust pre-acquistion gun background checks.

    The new DC law requires that all guns be registered. The person seeking to do so must submit fingerprints and two photographs, show knowledge of local gun laws, have visual capacity sufficient to get a vehicle driver’s license, prove completion of a gun-use or safety course, show how the gun will be used and where it will be kept, and notify District police if the gun is stolen, transferred, sold, lost or destroyed. For pistols, each weapon must be submitted for a ballistic ID test, for which a fee is attached, and no more than one pistol a month may be registered. Registration lasts for three years, but can be renewed.

    Oh, and then its the new tack bu the SCOTUS to duck gun cases as demonstrated by their latest decision to avoid touching the State of New York case.

    Nah -- you ain't missing nutt'n.

    The uncompromising anti-gun control zealots are only inviting more pain to themselves in the long run.

  18. #18
    AM999's Free Pony Sponsor
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Did I miss something? Did the expanded BG bill pass ? I guess in this case a poll showing 90 percent support - whatever that means - didn't, in the end, matter.
    I mean it is such a great thing when Congress cannot enact the will of the people, and bows to $$$$$$ lobbies.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,104
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    The uncompromising anti-gun control zealots are only inviting more pain to themselves in the long run.
    But its good for business --- Gun Manufactures and the NRA Profit From Tragedies

    After both the Aurora and Newtown massacres, the gun industry saw huge increases in sales and NRA contributions skyrocketed.

    BTW - of the three branches of federal government the courts are the least influenced by gun makers and the NRA.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

    John Kenneth Galbraith

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Did you miss something?

    Only that the federal court system has upheld the new DC gun control measures which include some robust pre-acquistion gun background checks.

    The new DC law requires that all guns be registered. The person seeking to do so must submit fingerprints and two photographs, show knowledge of local gun laws, have visual capacity sufficient to get a vehicle driver’s license, prove completion of a gun-use or safety course, show how the gun will be used and where it will be kept, and notify District police if the gun is stolen, transferred, sold, lost or destroyed. For pistols, each weapon must be submitted for a ballistic ID test, for which a fee is attached, and no more than one pistol a month may be registered. Registration lasts for three years, but can be renewed.

    Oh, and then its the new tack bu the SCOTUS to duck gun cases as demonstrated by their latest decision to avoid touching the State of New York case.

    Nah -- you ain't missing nutt'n.

    Well I guess it's a good thing I don't now or ever wish to live in DC or New York.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    The uncompromising anti-gun control zealots are only inviting more pain to themselves in the long run.

    Compromise is for losers. When you have a strong position there is no need to compromise
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I mean it is such a great thing when Congress cannot enact the will of the people, and bows to $$$$$$ lobbies.

    Or maybe, just maybe, those Senators who did vote no are actually voting the will of their constituents - yeah there is that possibility. That's actually what they are supposed to do.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

  23. #23
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,753
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    The uncompromising anti-gun control zealots are only inviting more pain to themselves in the long run.
    Yea, pretty stupid on their part. Rather than working on a compromise, they've made it pretty certain that they'll lose majority control and have no say in future legislation. Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face.

  24. #24
    AM999's Free Pony Sponsor
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Compromise is for losers. When you have a strong position there is no need to compromise
    Isn't that the gist of what Cheney et al said about torture and also about the war in Iraq?

    Hell, Stalin probably said the same thing. The winner who gets their way always says such madness.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jarbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Interesting. Since the Supreme Court declined to weigh in on whether gun owners have a constitutional right to carry handguns outside the home I wonder why it wouldn't possibly mean the same with regard to long guns?

    It seems that at the least, a state could require handguns be unloaded, 100% disassembled and the parts be locked in a transportable safe when moved to and from the owner's home.
    Really - what on earth are you smoking? You can't even get a simple background check passed. What make you think those measures would ever even be considered.
    +1 for the NRA!

    Guns save lives.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Percent Grade %
    By shanabit in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
  3. The Eighty Percent Lie
    By Live Steam in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 04:25 AM
  4. Percent Body Fat
    By wannarace in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 04:12 AM
  5. Is Rubiera 100 percent?
    By jumphress in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook