Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 149
  1. #1
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    398

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,776
    Hey man, save me paying my hard earned money to get through the barrier, quote the salient paragraph that states the case! The WAPO headline can't be right. Its fake news, bro.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Hey man, save me paying my hard earned money to get through the barrier, quote the salient paragraph that states the case! The WAPO headline can't be right. Its fake news, bro.
    Trump has never been much of a fan of the first amendment. In fact, he's not much of a fan of the constitution in general, unless it benefits him.

    As he said … Wouldn't it be nice if the United States could have a President/Ruler for life? (After China gave that power to their current leader).
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Trump has never been much of a fan of the first amendment. In fact, he's not much of a fan of the constitution in general, unless it benefits him.

    As he said … Wouldn't it be nice if the United States could have a President/Ruler for life? (After China gave that power to their current leader).
    Did he say that?

    Hey look, the goody two shoes new-leftist media jumped on Trump when he started his run for POTUS, and hit on him all the way, putting up their shining example, Queen Hillary of Clinton dynasty, Boomers came of age in '92 and rode the internet revolution the rest of the decade. Al Gore shoulda gotten the prize, not that idiot Dubya. And sh!t, it happened again with this pretender Trump. He's got his sexual assault gang rapist on the Supreme Court. The country is falling apart. Only we can save it! Pick up the pitchforks! Go to the streets, find dirt on your enemies and destroy their characters. Read up on history, my friends, to see this never ends up well. Read up on how Mao and Pol Pot regimes stayed in power.

    The name of the game is civility. Start throwing stones, expect stones in return.

    Gotta admit it's great to make fun of Donald Trump and all he represents, wealth, privilege, sexism, greed, oh, and collusion with underworld criminal networks and white racists. He addresses these fantasies humorously, giving the late show comedians tons of material. He's done that on purpose since the Republican primaries, in case you haven't noticed, which probably scooted him over the top. Free advertising, enthusiastically provided by his arch enemies. How about that?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Did he say that?

    Hey look, the goody two shoes new-leftist media jumped on Trump when he started his run for POTUS, and hit on him all the way, putting up their shining example, Queen Hillary of Clinton dynasty, Boomers came of age in '92 and rode the internet revolution the rest of the decade. Al Gore shoulda gotten the prize, not that idiot Dubya. And sh!t, it happened again with this pretender Trump. He's got his sexual assault gang rapist on the Supreme Court. The country is falling apart. Only we can save it! Pick up the pitchforks! Go to the streets, find dirt on your enemies and destroy their characters. Read up on history, my friends, to see this never ends up well. Read up on how Mao and Pol Pot regimes stayed in power.

    The name of the game is civility. Start throwing stones, expect stones in return.

    Gotta admit it's great to make fun of Donald Trump and all he represents, wealth, privilege, sexism, greed, oh, and collusion with underworld criminal networks and white racists. He addresses these fantasies humorously, giving the late show comedians tons of material. He's done that on purpose since the Republican primaries, in case you haven't noticed, which probably scooted him over the top. Free advertising, enthusiastically provided by his arch enemies. How about that?
    Here is the direct quote, with a bit of commentary from the article (you could always use Google):

    The president of the United States apparently regards the leader of the Chinese Communist Party as a model. “He’s now president for life,” President Trump told supporters this past weekend. “President for life. No, he’s great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.”
    Civility like stalling a SCOTUS nominee for 12 months so you can hopefully get your own guy in?

    Gotta start somewhere ... however, it won't come from the GOP. They want the Democratic party to be civil while the GOP walks all over them.

    Talk civility, but don't practice it ... Goog plan!
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Here is the direct quote, with a bit of commentary from the article (you could always use Google):



    Civility like stalling a SCOTUS nominee for 12 months so you can hopefully get your own guy in?

    Gotta start somewhere ... however, it won't come from the GOP. They want the Democratic party to be civil while the GOP walks all over them.

    Talk civility, but don't practice it ... Goog plan!
    Yeah, that's pretty mixed up touting dictators for life and such. Not going to defend that.

    I believe Trump was referring to how well the Chinese president got the backing from other Chinese political leaders to go that mile, if indeed he'll stay in power the rest of his life. Liberals here were pooh poohing the very idea of term limits, so they'd be the first to call them off and put up a POTUS for life, huh?

    Don't forget Garland was held off by the Republican majority in the senate, opposing any nomination by the Democratic POTUS until the next election, hoping Republicans will win, and they'd get to slam dunk their choice, which turned out to be Kavanaugh. The Dems tried to sabotage his nomination, but blew it dramatically. So I'm not going to make any grave moral distinctions between the two parties. They're both guilty as hell, like my new hero, Lindsey Graham. so bravely shouted.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 6 Days Ago at 11:12 PM.

  7. #7
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    33,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty mixed up touting dictators for life and such. Not going to defend that.

    ....
    ...then does just that.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,167
    At the same time perhaps you would like to defend why Hillary was all for a anti flag burning amendment

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    At the same time perhaps you would like to defend why Hillary was all for a anti flag burning amendment
    So the responses from what I have to guess is a Trump support is to try to distract. Color me not surprised because instead of addressing the issue you have to go back years in the pass to try to find something.....

    To me it just showing GOP supports dont believe in facts and only know how to point the finger.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    As he said … Wouldn't it be nice if the United States could have a President/Ruler for life? (After China gave that power to their current leader).
    You need to stay away from the left wing looney web sites. It was a joke made at a fundraiser. it's on tape starting at around 1:00

    https://youtu.be/09ZCJnf-qMw
    Anytime someone starts telling you what their political opponent "really believes", that's a pretty good indication that they are about to dive into a straw man argument.

  11. #11
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    At the same time perhaps you would like to defend why Hillary was all for a anti flag burning amendment
    What about...

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty mixed up touting dictators for life and such. Not going to defend that.
    See the vid I attached, it was a goof at a fundraiser. You can't just believe most of the crap posted here, you gotta go dig it up and see if there is any truth to it.
    Anytime someone starts telling you what their political opponent "really believes", that's a pretty good indication that they are about to dive into a straw man argument.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    So the responses from what I have to guess is a Trump support is to try to distract. Color me not surprised because instead of addressing the issue you have to go back years in the pass to try to find something.....

    To me it just showing GOP supports dont believe in facts and only know how to point the finger.
    You are only partially correct and who by the way is supporting Trump? Me? If you had ever read (god forbid) or seen any of my prior posts on Trump; you'd know that I'm no Trump supporter. Trump is an idiot. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it so why rehash that point. As an idiot he makes idiotic statements. This just happens to fly in the face of the constitution. There is NO defending it.

    Yes I went into past just to show a point. Hillary is supposedly a genius and if anything I said is wrong, prove it. So the offer still stands. Defend her.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What about...
    So, you are all for limits on the 1st amendment. Good to know.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Here is the direct quote, with a bit of commentary from the article (you could always use Google):



    Civility like stalling a SCOTUS nominee for 12 months so you can hopefully get your own guy in?

    Gotta start somewhere ... however, it won't come from the GOP. They want the Democratic party to be civil while the GOP walks all over them.

    Talk civility, but don't practice it ... Goog plan!
    Was said stalled guy's reputation destroyed in the process? Did he suffer permanent damage to himself, his wife and his children? Was that how he got stalled?

  16. #16
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    33,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Was said stalled guy's reputation destroyed in the process? Did he suffer permanent damage to himself, his wife and his children? Was that how he got stalled?
    The "damaged" party heard oral arguments as a member of the SCOTUS yesterday.

    Doesn't appear he was held back in the least.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    The "damaged" party heard oral arguments as a member of the SCOTUS yesterday.

    Doesn't appear he was held back in the least.
    You might ask his kids after school of his wife after a trip to the A&P. He is working though, there's that.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Was said stalled guy's reputation destroyed in the process? Did he suffer permanent damage to himself, his wife and his children? Was that how he got stalled?
    Never got a chance to get to that point did he? Couldn't imagine why that is.

    Oh wait … the GOP just said (Paraphrasing here), A sitting president doesn't get to decide who is selected to the SCOTUS during an election year, even if it's 10-11 months away. Yet, the very same person who blocked his nomination wouldn't say whether he would hold off on the nomination process if Trump has the possibility of nominating one in 2020 before the next presidential election. The answer was more or less … I wouldn't block it because all presidents should have their SCOTUS picks get a change to be placed on the court.

    Funny how it's one answer for the GOP another for the Democratic party.

    As far as Kavanaugh goes, he still had a job as an appellate court judge, so it's not like his life was ruined. He also has security protecting him paid for by the government.

    I'm pretty sure he will be fine … and in the end, he's a member of the SCOTUS. I see it damaged him and his family immensely.

    BTW … if you think his quote was in "Jest", so be it, I wouldn't expect any different from you or other GOP/Trump supporters. It a Obama had said it though, it would have been grounds for impeachment by you and other supporters. Such is life I guess … partisanship at it's best
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    You need to stay away from the left wing looney web sites. It was a joke made at a fundraiser. it's on tape starting at around 1:00

    https://youtu.be/09ZCJnf-qMw
    I thought the GOP was a party of "FACTS" … at least that was what they portrayed during the SCOTUS hearings for Kavanaugh. If you can't provide facts, you must put him on the court.

    Lets stick to the facts here, try not to place your own or others personal feeling into a statemtent made by the POTUS.

    In this case … Did Trump say it or not?
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  20. #20
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,585
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    You need to stay away from the left wing looney web sites. It was a joke made at a fundraiser. it's on tape starting at around 1:00

    https://youtu.be/09ZCJnf-qMw
    Uhhh.... ummmm.... the video you provided.... His quote matches EXACTLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Here is the direct quote, with a bit of commentary from the article (you could always use Google):

    “He’s now president for life,” President Trump told supporters this past weekend. “President for life. No, he’s great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.”
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    68,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Never got a chance to get to that point did he? Couldn't imagine why that is.

    Oh wait … the GOP just said (Paraphrasing here), A sitting president doesn't get to decide who is selected to the SCOTUS during an election year, even if it's 10-11 months away. Yet, the very same person who blocked his nomination wouldn't say whether he would hold off on the nomination process if Trump has the possibility of nominating one in 2020 before the next presidential election. The answer was more or less … I wouldn't block it because all presidents should have their SCOTUS picks get a change to be placed on the court.

    Funny how it's one answer for the GOP another for the Democratic party.

    As far as Kavanaugh goes, he still had a job as an appellate court judge, so it's not like his life was ruined. He also has security protecting him paid for by the government.

    I'm pretty sure he will be fine … and in the end, he's a member of the SCOTUS. I see it damaged him and his family immensely.

    BTW … if you think his quote was in "Jest", so be it, I wouldn't expect any different from you or other GOP/Trump supporters. It a Obama had said it though, it would have been grounds for impeachment by you and other supporters. Such is life I guess … partisanship at it's best
    He was at the point where Kav drew all the attention, nominated and waiting for a vote. Of course he has a job and I never said he didn't. What I said was that his reputation was permanently scarred and his family will suffer abuse for years to come.

    Did the GOP speak as one or was there a representative attached to your paraphrased semi quote?

    We can agree that it was a raw deal but it was a procedural process that did the blocking. American politics being what it is today I'm sure future appointees had better not have any ghosts from their past, real or imagined.

  22. #22
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    398
    Straw (wo)man much?

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    He was at the point where Kav drew all the attention, nominated and waiting for a vote. Of course he has a job and I never said he didn't. What I said was that his reputation was permanently scarred and his family will suffer abuse for years to come.

    Did the GOP speak as one or was there a representative attached to your paraphrased semi quote?

    We can agree that it was a raw deal but it was a procedural process that did the blocking. American politics being what it is today I'm sure future appointees had better not have any ghosts from their past, real or imagined.
    What seems to be lost in your argument is what happened to the life of the individual who, by all accounts was sexually assaulted (everybody seems to agree she was assaulted, the question is whether it was Kavanaugh or not).

    I'm not sure she has even been able to return home at this point. She continues to get death threats by members who support the GOP. Will she even be able to return to her teaching position at this point? She doesn't have paid protection like Kavanaugh.

    Who's life was really ruined ... and who's life was disrupted?

    That's the real question.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Uhhh.... ummmm.... the video you provided.... His quote matches EXACTLY.
    It did, except for the roars of laughter afterward.

    But I'm sure you think that Trump was being dead serious...
    Anytime someone starts telling you what their political opponent "really believes", that's a pretty good indication that they are about to dive into a straw man argument.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    It did, except for the roars of laughter afterward.

    But I'm sure you think that Trump was being dead serious...
    Did he say it? Yes or no? Simple question...

    As for the laughter, considering he's pandering to his base ... would you seriously expect anything different?

    And yes ... he was dead serious, just needed to test the waters first.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hey hey hey hey
    By 180 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 07:44 PM
  2. Why does the ACLU defend free speech?
    By Mel Erickson in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 12:23 PM
  3. Will Sebastien Joly defend the Lantern Rouge?
    By MikeBiker in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 04:58 AM
  4. The new Natl Guard recruitment slogan: "Defend Freedom"
    By spyderman in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 11:29 AM
  5. Why does Lance defend Ferrari?
    By tube_ee in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.