gazing from the shadows

I don't have much to say about this, but....

... I found it quite moving to read.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...y-olmsted.html

I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn't a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side. If you think the U.S. should stay in Iraq, don't drag me into it by claiming that somehow my death demands us staying in Iraq. If you think the U.S. ought to get out tomorrow, don't cite my name as an example of someone's life who was wasted by our mission in Iraq. I have my own opinions about what we should do about Iraq, but since I'm not around to expound on them I'd prefer others not try and use me as some kind of moral capital to support a position I probably didn't support. Further, this is tough enough on my family without their having to see my picture being used in some rally or my name being cited for some political purpose. You can fight political battles without hurting my family, and I'd prefer that you did so.

On a similar note, while you're free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I'll tell you you're wrong. We're all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was.

Read the whole thing, it is worth it. I don't know the guy, never read anything he wrote, but I think I would have like to have known him.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Misfit Toy
    Beautiful and sad, I too would loved to have known the man.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo

I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn't a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side. If you think the U.S. should stay in Iraq, don't drag me into it by claiming that somehow my death demands us staying in Iraq. If you think the U.S. ought to get out tomorrow, don't cite my name as an example of someone's life who was wasted by our mission in Iraq. I have my own opinions about what we should do about Iraq, but since I'm not around to expound on them I'd prefer others not try and use me as some kind of moral capital to support a position I probably didn't support. Further, this is tough enough on my family without their having to see my picture being used in some rally or my name being cited for some political purpose. You can fight political battles without hurting my family, and I'd prefer that you did so.

On a similar note, while you're free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I'll tell you you're wrong. We're all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was.

Read the whole thing, it is worth it. I don't know the guy, never read anything he wrote, but I think I would have like to have known him.
    Thanks hoo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo

Hoo, thanks..

I did a bit more research on Major Olmstead. He was a MiTT commander, which means he had one of the more dangerous jobs in Iraq- Living with and advising an Iraqi army unit. Two of his subordinates apparently were killed trying to save him after he was struck by the sniper's bullet.

He was a reservist and a volunteer, a testament to today's citizen-soldiers.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Thanks for finding and posting Hoo.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    I think it's an interesting read and really illustrates how far a military mindset is from mine. While I disagree on several of his points, it did make me think and I believe that was Major Olmstead's point. Here's hoping there is an afterlife where he will meet up with his Amanda.
    Dictated but not read.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Thanks Hoo.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    I think it's an interesting read and really illustrates how far a military mindset is from mine.
    I don't want to hijack the thread but....I am interested on what you think a military mindset is, especially after having read a few of Major Olmsted's topics.

Folsom City Blues...
    Hoo, thank you for a moving readů

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return

The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things are born of the existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of the Tao

Master Lao Tzu

Go Blue
    The post brings to mind something written by another soldier, who did not come home alive. The Soldier, by Rupert Brooke (1887-1915) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Brooke

If I should die, think only this of me:
    That there's some corner of a foreign field
    That is for ever England.There shall be
    In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
    A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
    Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
    A body of England's, breathing English air,
    Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
    Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.