Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 120 of 120
  1. #101
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    30,898
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Frankly you can parse the words any way you like and if you feel I've violated, in your estimation, some reading of the rules issue a perma ban.

    This forum seems to have taken on a single line of thought as fewer and fewer posters create a far left echo chamber, under your guidance.

    Read it as you will, you can pick and choose which laws you want to obey but be honest enough to admit that is what your doing.

    Trying to pretzel logic into thinking it makes sense is 'bubble nonsense' that only makes sense to others in the bubble.

    Seriously, its what makes so many Americans complain about 'elitist academia'. The ability to twist words to suit the agenda annoys many people just as much as the right's ability to do the same.
    No need to parse words, just read the ones in front of you:

    "Do not "put words" in people's mouths."

    More at link:

    Revised PO rules: Read and understand before posting
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

  2. #102
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Here's the thing: The OP did not say what you're attempting to claim; he said your argument was "frippery," not that criminal laws were/weren't:

    "The rest of your "slippery slope" argument is pure frippery."

    Note that the context of his argument was that public servants aren't supposed to use their own judgments to supersede the laws.

    Caveat for you: Revised PO rules: Read and understand before posting

    Also, civil law is different from criminal law (cf. https://study.com/academy/lesson/cri...fferences.html for details).
    Bingo. You understand what I wrote. I'll wager most of the people reading this thread understand what I wrote.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  3. #103
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,648
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    You'll notice that not a single name of an Olympic athlete has been put forward that either deserved to go but couldn't because they weren't "diverse" enough, or that went on the basis of diversity rather than merit.

    The rest of this diversion over which laws can & cannot, should & should not be broken has nothing to do with the thread. If you look back to post #68 & #73 you'll see where the focus of the thread was moved to a more comfortable subject. A common trolling response to being backed into a corner... change the subject and hope people will argue over something else.
    Guys quit taking all the Red Herrings they are putting up to distract from their original bigotry. Ask only for them to name some athletes who made it, didn't make it not on merit but by ethnicity / sexual preference / etc....
    The team is diverse because America is. Hell the best Half pipe Snowboarders in the world are both from SoCal. The team is everything great about America. Our diversity is our strength.
    So again, POST SOME F'ING NAMES of people who got blocked because of diversity?
    or shut the F up.
    I am shocked some of you are still swinging those shovels.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  4. #104
    I make Eagles fly
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    453
    I wonder what is wrong with just calling them Americans? Almost seems too simple that way.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

  5. #105
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    I wonder what is wrong with just calling them Americans? Almost seems too simple that way.
    Tell that to your fellow countrymen who are constantly questioning their right to live here and participate as citizens.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  6. #106
    Trigger Warning
    Reputation: Local Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Tell that to your fellow countrymen who are constantly questioning their right to live here and participate as citizens.
    Are there any DACA Olympians?

  7. #107
    Trigger Warning
    Reputation: Local Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Guys quit taking all the Red Herrings they are putting up to distract from their original bigotry. Ask only for them to name some athletes who made it, didn't make it not on merit but by ethnicity / sexual preference / etc....
    The team is diverse because America is. Hell the best Half pipe Snowboarders in the world are both from SoCal. The team is everything great about America. Our diversity is our strength.
    So again, POST SOME F'ING NAMES of people who got blocked because of diversity?
    or shut the F up.
    I am shocked some of you are still swinging those shovels.
    Who claimed that happened? And why is that the test?

    For sure, the diversity guy's job includes hiring coaches who look like their athletes. Presumably, that means not hiring coaches who do not look like the athletes.

    My question is, why do we even need a diversity person for the Olympics? I know that some decisions are discretionary. (A few years ago there was some hullabaloo when one female cyclist was selected over another.) But for the most part, we just want to send the best athletes and be colorblind about it.

    So what exactly is the diversity person doing? Are they going into inner city schools to make sure that kids get interested in ice skating?

    Otherwise, what the heck is this talk about getting a person there in order for children to be able to racially identify with an athlete?

    What is the end game of pushing racial group identity or any identity politics?




    "Throughout the last decade, U.S. demographics have become more racially and ethnically diverse and the USOC embraces this change. The USOC D&I Scorecard is one of the ways the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic family has committed to meeting its goal of reflecting the nationís growing diversity."

    If 40% of the country is Hispanic, do 40% of Olympians need to be Hispanic? Do 40% of the basketball players need to be Hispanic? 40% of the coaches?

  8. #108
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    For sure, the diversity guy's job includes hiring coaches who look like their athletes. Presumably, that means not hiring coaches who do not look like the athletes.
    Do you have an example of a coach hired over another better qualified coach due to their ethnicity?

  9. #109
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Do you have an example of a coach hired over another better qualified coach due to their ethnicity?
    Give him a second he has to check info wars.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    They those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The problem is you can't teach stupid and history is taught in a classroom.

  10. #110
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Who claimed that happened? And why is that the test?

    For sure, the diversity guy's job includes hiring coaches who look like their athletes. Presumably, that means not hiring coaches who do not look like the athletes.

    My question is, why do we even need a diversity person for the Olympics? I know that some decisions are discretionary. (A few years ago there was some hullabaloo when one female cyclist was selected over another.) But for the most part, we just want to send the best athletes and be colorblind about it.

    So what exactly is the diversity person doing? Are they going into inner city schools to make sure that kids get interested in ice skating?

    Otherwise, what the heck is this talk about getting a person there in order for children to be able to racially identify with an athlete?

    What is the end game of pushing racial group identity or any identity politics?




    "Throughout the last decade, U.S. demographics have become more racially and ethnically diverse and the USOC embraces this change. The USOC D&I Scorecard is one of the ways the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic family has committed to meeting its goal of reflecting the nationís growing diversity."

    If 40% of the country is Hispanic, do 40% of Olympians need to be Hispanic? Do 40% of the basketball players need to be Hispanic? 40% of the coaches?
    No but generally speaking if you are way to off of the diversity numbers it is generally a sign of something else is wrong. The question should be ask is why is it below the target which should roughly match the make up of the citizen with in reason.

    The why is where you go about solving the problems. The normal reason why for example a lot of the winter spots from people in the US is white is those sports are very expensive to get into early on. Require parents who can fund their kids to do them. What would happen if you start setting up programs to get under privileged kids access to them? Or the best training location say FU blacks and refuse to train them. That is flat out discrimination but when it comes down the ones who wins the try outs which are pure skills they are not going to bet there to even compete and try.


    Missing the target generally means look and see if their is a root cause and find out why.

  11. #111
    Trigger Warning
    Reputation: Local Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANA View Post
    Give him a second he has to check info wars.
    Does infowars have good info on this one? I was going by what Jason Thompson said on the USOC website -- hiring practices are benchmarked on group identity.

    Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    No but generally speaking if you are way to off of the diversity numbers it is generally a sign of something else is wrong.
    Blacks are overrepresented on the basketball team while Pacific Islanders are underrepresented. Do you think something is wrong?

  12. #112
    No lie, man!
    Reputation: frons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    798
    I've sort of followed this thread and don't see the point of diversity in regards to Olympic participation. Let the best rise to the top.

    If one believes that some deserving individuals aren't getting the chance to compete, I have a suggestion. Start a government program that does a nationwide search for promising individuals. Offer to provide them with our best training, nutrition, coaches, and facilities, provide them with schooling as they train year-round, provide housing and vehicles, so they can develop their full potential and prove that the Sovi-, I mean, the US is the best country in the world.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners." - George Carlin

    "... we're rewarded for our ruthlessness and reprimanded for our truthfulness..." Aaron Lee Martin

    Being in the minority doesn't make you wrong, only unpopular.

  13. #113
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Are there any DACA Olympians?
    A person of non-white appearance does not have to be DACA or an illegal alien to have bigots confronting them and questioning their right to be here or to participate as a citizen. This is happening all over the nation. An excellent example - but by no means the only one - is the Navajo legislator in Arizona who was accosted as he entered the Arizona state legislative chambers a couple of weeks ago.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  14. #114
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Does infowars have good info on this one? I was going by what Jason Thompson said on the USOC website -- hiring practices are benchmarked on group identity.


    Blacks are overrepresented on the basketball team while Pacific Islanders are underrepresented. Do you think something is wrong?
    Covered in the rest of the responses. It would be covered in the why.......

    But that would require you reading and not going down the standard conservative dribble. Those damn facts getting in the way of the lies.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Are there any DACA Olympians?
    Considering you have to be a citizen to represent I'd say no. That would be amnesty.

  16. #116
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    This is happening all over the nation. An excellent example - but by no means the only one - is the Navajo legislator in Arizona who was accosted as he entered the Arizona state legislative chambers a couple of weeks ago.
    Or future POTUS calling an American born judge with a Hispanic name biased against Trump because of his wall in a matter that Trump paid $25 million to have go away. Good thing the majority of Americans are in favor of racial discrimination otherwise he might not have gotten elected.

  17. #117
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    The team is diverse because America is. Hell the best Half pipe Snowboarders in the world are both from SoCal. The team is everything great about America. Our diversity is our strength.
    .
    Probably more to do with population and affluence than diversity. How many blacks represent the US at swimming? Is that because genetically Europeans and Asians are better swimmers or because socio economics determines who will get swimming lessons or have an accessible pool?
    African nations don't win many winter olympic medals but it's not due to a lack of diversity it's due to the fact that the winter olympics are for elitists. You need a **** load of money to play in the snow or ice compared to running or soccer.

  18. #118
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    30,898
    Quote Originally Posted by frons View Post
    I've sort of followed this thread and don't see the point of diversity in regards to Olympic participation. Let the best rise to the top.

    If one believes that some deserving individuals aren't getting the chance to compete, I have a suggestion. Start a government program that does a nationwide search for promising individuals. Offer to provide them with our best training, nutrition, coaches, and facilities, provide them with schooling as they train year-round, provide housing and vehicles, so they can develop their full potential and prove that the Sovi-, I mean, the US is the best country in the world.
    I don't see anyone disagreeing with this notion here: Let the best athletes rise to the top.

    Mostly what I see is a misunderstanding of what the USOC diversity program really does (cf.I don't think he knows how athletic competitions work. - Page 3 ), which is promote cultivate diversity of fan base, and thus advertising appeal, rather than giving anyone a head start at their event. For instance, funding an outreach program in schools to encourage participation from kids who mightn't have considered a sport, arm-twisting corporate citizens into donations, is what USOC's diversity programs are about. Here's an example, from a presentation USOC makes to prospective corporate sponsors: https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/def...n.pdf?sfvrsn=4.

    (Faux and friends wouldn't miss a chance to play identity politics, though).

    But why take my word for it?: One can contact USOC directly and ask them, here: https://www.teamusa.org/footer/contact-us Those of you on LinkedIn can contact Kevin Pearson, Manager of Diversity and Inclusion Programs for USOC, and ask him more about this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrkevinpearson

    And this question from five days ago stands: Have any found the name of the athlete that didn't win the spot on the team on the basis of merit?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

  19. #119
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    30,898
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Probably more to do with population and affluence than diversity. How many blacks represent the US at swimming? Is that because genetically Europeans and Asians are better swimmers or because socio economics determines who will get swimming lessons or have an accessible pool?
    African nations don't win many winter olympic medals but it's not due to a lack of diversity it's due to the fact that the winter olympics are for elitists. You need a **** load of money to play in the snow or ice compared to running or soccer.
    To be fair, you also need snow and ice, of which Africa has little.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

  20. #120
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,558
    Quote Originally Posted by frons View Post
    I've sort of followed this thread and don't see the point of diversity in regards to Olympic participation. Let the best rise to the top.
    Only trolls are claiming this isn't happening. Check the thread..... zero examples.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Why I don't see any Specialized saddles on UCI competitions
    By muntos in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 09:51 PM
  2. Replies: 184
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 02:20 AM
  3. DT Revolution vs. DT Competitions
    By cchough in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 05:48 PM
  5. Tufo S3 Lite's (215g) vs Continental Competitions
    By JAG MN in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •