Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    gazing from the shadows

I don't think he knows how athletic competitions work.

In Olympics, let's focus on the winner of the race -- not the race of the winner | Fox News

A USOC official was quoted this week expressing pride (what else?) about taking the most diverse U.S. squad ever to the Winter Olympics. That was followed by a, frankly, embarrassing laundry list of how many African-Americans, Asians and openly gay athletes are on this year’s U.S. team. No sport that we are aware of awards points – or medals – for skin color or sexual orientation.

For the current USOC, a dream team should look more like the general population. So, while uncomfortable, the question probably needs to be asked: were our Olympians selected because they’re the best at what they do, or because they’re the best publicity for our current obsession with having one each from Column A, B and C?

Insisting that sports bow to political correctness by assigning teams quotas for race, religion or sexuality is like saying that professional basketball goals will be worth four points if achieved by a minority in that sport – white guys, for instance – instead of the two or three points awarded to black players, who make up 81 percent of the NBA. Any plans to fix that disparity? Didn’t think so.

If someone is denied a slot on a team because of prejudice, that’s one thing. Complaining that every team isn’t a rainbow of political correctness defeats the purpose of sports, which is competition. At the Olympic level, not everyone is a winner. Not everyone gets a little plastic trophy to take home.

Sorry. “Faster, Higher, Stronger” still works better than “We win because we’re different.”
    Seriously?

Olympic teams are selected through competition. This is pretty obvious. There are no quotas, just performance. But once again, there is seen to be a secret plot to put the hetero whites down.

Paranoid much? Yes, paranoid ALL the time!

https://harpers.org/archive/1964/11/...ican-politics/
    Stout beers under trees, please.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    70% of the NFL & NBA are African American. I guess they have race quotas for the best publicity too.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    The dumb a$$ could have just watched all the Olympic qualifying coverage that was on tv and found out how it actually works. I watched some (skiing, speed skating, luge, curling) and I don't remember seeing any extra points awarded for diversity. Hell, curling didn't even award extra points for not spilling their beer.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Slightly off topic but that speed skater really let me down with his griping about not being able to carry the flag even though he's the first black guy to win a gold medal in the winter Olympics. There was a tied vote that was decided with a coin toss, it couldn't have been more fair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Slightly off topic but that speed skater really let me down with his griping about not being able to carry the flag even though he's the first black guy to win a gold medal in the winter Olympics. There was a tied vote that was decided with a coin toss, it couldn't have been more fair.
    I think they should throw all the athletes names in a hat a draw from now on.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    If you look at his career he has always been a whiney little *****.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

banned
    Jul 2010
    Who cares if it is the most diverse or the least diverse?

Identity politics shouldn't poison the Olympics. Just send the best athletes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Who cares if it is the most diverse or the least diverse?

Identity politics shouldn't poison the Olympics. Just send the best athletes.
    They did. The fact that they sent their best & it turned out to be a diverse group shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

banned
    Jul 2010
    When the USOC official is taking so much pride in diversity, there is a smidge of anti-whiteness. (Disagree? Flip the script and think of the outcry.) So why even mention it? The Olympics should be about bringing us together as Americans, not dividing us into little groups based on race.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    The fact that they sent their best & it turned out to be a diverse group shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
    ^^^Ding-ding-ding! The fact that Fox News is incapable of making this connection says way more about that network's leadership than it does about any actions by the USOC.

banned
    Jul 2010
    Of course, athletics can bring us together, even with when athletes come from a diversity of places.

Meb Keflezighi won the Boston marathon in 2014 and was the first American to do so in over 30 years. Runners of the country took pride in the fact that an American won the race. And it was an exciting competition. It wasn't really important that Meb was born in Africa. We welcomed him to the country as an American. His success was part of a larger trend in the resurgence in American running.

And that's one of the best things about athletics. When I was growing up, my best friends were my teammates -- I had more in common with them and more shared experiences with them than other guys in my high school or undergrad.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    When the USOC official is taking so much pride in diversity, there is a smidge of anti-whiteness.
    OMG
    Racist much?

(Disagree? Flip the script and think of the outcry.)
    What does that even mean.

The Olympics should be about bringing us together as Americans, not dividing us into little groups based on race.
    A diverse group means the team isn't divided up.
    You and Fox news seem to be the only ones dividing things into groups... caugh caugh "anti whiteness".
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    When the USOC official is taking so much pride in diversity, there is a smidge of anti-whiteness. (Disagree? Flip the script and think of the outcry.) So why even mention it? The Olympics should be about bringing us together as Americans, not dividing us into little groups based on race.
    I believe that he was celebrating the fact that these Olympics are bringing us together as Americans. Face it, the winter sports have traditionally been very much the province of the white members of our society - mainly because they are expensive sports that require participants with a lot of leisure time as they grow up. The fact that more minority participants can afford these sports should be celebrated - it shows an improvement in the way our society is becoming more inclusive.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    When the USOC official is taking so much pride in diversity, there is a smidge of anti-whiteness.
    Um, no. Celebrating diversity is not "anti-white".

It's disturbing that you equate the two.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

banned
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I believe that he was celebrating the fact that these Olympics are bringing us together as Americans. Face it, the winter sports have traditionally been very much the province of the white members of our society - mainly because they are expensive sports that require participants with a lot of leisure time as they grow up. The fact that more minority participants can afford these sports should be celebrated - it shows an improvement in the way our society is becoming more inclusive.
    In your opinion, are Asians and gays poor minorities?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by feh View Post
    Um, no. Celebrating diversity is not "anti-white".
    I like diversity. Just think about food. In the US, you can get great Thai, French, Italian, African, Indian, etc etc etc food. Why? Diverse population.

Diversity works against groupthink.

Google diversity in the workplace, and you will see that many hard core business types see it as an advantage in many ways.

For example:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240550

1. Drive innovation.

In a recent Harvard Business Review article, Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Melinda Marshall and Laura Sherbin identified and highlighted companies with what they called "two-dimensional diversity." The leaders of these businesses had at least three inherent diversity traits and three acquired ones (culled from experience).

"Working in another country can help you appreciate cultural differences, for example, while selling to female consumers can give you gender smarts,” the authors wrote.

Using new research, Hewlett and her co-authors found that these firms performed better in business, explaining, “By correlating diversity in leadership with market outcomes as reported by respondents, we learned that companies with 2-D diversity out-innovate and out-perform others.”

4. Avoid high turnover.

According to the Labor Department, more people are quitting their jobs now than they have since 2008, meaning retention should be top of mind for managers. The Glassdoor survey found that 57 percent of people surveyed think their company should be doing more to increase diversity in its workforce.

Most business owners know that when an employee leaves, finding and hiring a replacement can be an extremely expensive process. In many cases, a lack of diversity can create an unintentionally hostile environment for those who feel like they don’t fit in.

With the current job market bouncing back, many people are now considering their options in a way they haven’t in six years. Rather than dealing with turnover rates that could become increasingly high as communities become more inclusive, make a commitment to creating a diverse and discrimination-free work environment at your company.

Successful companies create internal programs, resources and networking groups after listening to employees and supporting efforts they're interested in. This not only supports diversity but has the added benefit of creating a tighter, more invested community among the workforce.
    Monocultures are fragile, diverse ecologies are resilient. Similarity is boring, difference make life interesting.

gazing from the shadows
    In your opinion, are Asians and gays poor minorities?
    Which Asians? Japanese, or Hmong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...me#By_ancestry

And as for sexuality...

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...nder-wage-gap/

The Williams Institute finds that gay and bisexual men earn 10 percent to 32 percent less than similarly qualified heterosexual men, in a meta-analysis of 12 studies examining earnings and sexual orientation in the United States. This is true even when controlling for education, race, occupation, and years of work experience.

Further, these wage and income gaps in part explain why gay and transgender families are more likely to live in poverty. Children being raised by same-sex couples are twice as likely to live in poverty compared to children living in households with heterosexual married parents. Whereas 9 percent of children living with heterosexual married parents are living in poverty, 21 percent of children being raised by male same-sex couples and 20 percent of children being raised by female same-sex couples live in poverty.

Transgender people also face significant economic challenges. Fifteen percent of transgender people report making less than $10,000 per year, a rate of poverty that is nearly four times that of the general population. These socioeconomic disparities are especially acute for families headed by gay or transgender people color: Thirty-two percent of black male same-sex couples and 28 percent of female same-sex couples live in poverty, compared to just 13 percent of black different-sex married couples.

banned
    Jul 2010
    Some winter sports, notably biathlon and speedskating, fell short of the United States Olympic Committee leadership's 2016 diversity and inclusion scorecard benchmarks for athletes of color on U.S. national teams, the most recent data available.

The diversity goals are different for each sport and include criteria such as financial resources, staff size and a particular sport's NCAA pipeline.

"The fact that there's still work to be done demonstrates that issues surrounding access, surrounding inequalities, persist," Leonard said.

Jason Thompson, the USOC's director for diversity and inclusion, acknowledged the organization "is not where we want to be" in terms of diversity but is encouraged by the number of athletes of color competing in Pyeongchang.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/peo...erse-ever.html

There are no good reasons for hurdles to stop good athletes from going to the Olympics (unless we're talking about high-hurdles on the track). I am in full support of getting obstacles out of the way so our best athletes can go win medals. It will weaken us to use artificial barriers.

But what purpose does a race-based scorecard serve? Why do our Olympic teams need to reflect the racial makeup of our country?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I am in full support of getting obstacles out of the way so our best athletes can go win medals.

Why do our Olympic teams need to reflect the racial makeup of our country?
    Wow.... you seriously put both those statements in the same post.

banned
    Jul 2010
    IMO, this is a pathetic argument:

"If there's a young black girl out there watching the Winter Olympics and she says, 'There aren't many people like me out there,' she might feel discouraged trying some of these sports that she sees. "I'm looking forward to being someone who she can see in the Olympics, on TV, and think 'There's someone out there like me, so I can do it, too.'"

It's weak for so many reasons. What pioneer had that mindset? Is that how a winner thinks?

And what happens when we go down the road of intersectionality to the ultimate conclusion...do we come around to individuality?

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I like diversity. Just think about food. In the US, you can get great Thai, French, Italian, African, Indian, etc etc etc food. Why? Diverse population.
    Man, you are so wrong. You like Thai food? Then you are anti-Italian.

You celebrate Kwanzaa? War on Christmas!

Just listen to Limbaugh/Fox/Breitbart for proof.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

banned
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Wow.... you seriously put both those statements in the same post.
    But you refused to answer the question: Why do our Olympic teams need to reflect the racial makeup of our country?

It is pedantic to expect a literal reflection of our country's racial makeup in our Olympic teams (or any merit-based enterprise). Equality should be for opportunity, not outcome, comrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO, this is a pathetic argument:
    So you think the first black American female long track Olympic speedskater has a pathetic argument when it comes to how a young black girl might feel watching the Olympics and not seeing many black athletes. Your opinion is noted, considered and discarded as irrelevant. Or to use your way of thinking... who cares that you don't value a diverse Olympic team?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    But you refused to answer the question: Why do our Olympic teams need to reflect the racial makeup of our country?
    No I didn't. It's right there.

Not interested in spiraling down your racist rabbit hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Equality should be for opportunity, not outcome, comrade.
    You're right. And that's what they're celebrating. The increasing diversity of the team is a result of an attempt to increase opportunity for all races.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast