RIP Funny Penguin

I Leave for a scant few days and everyone forgets about History Thursday?!?!

So now you get to read (if you choose) about my battle parade through Virginia. Hit Richmond, Murfreesboro, and Yorktown redux. Yorktown was and continues to be a very touching experience. Knowing that the gang was all there. Cornwallis up to his neck nearly in the river, most likely haggard, definately sick as hell. Washington's siege line, Rochembau's men encamped and his second siege line. Redoubt #10 (number #9 has all but been erased by time) the place where Lt. Col. A. Hamilton led his men against the British, muskets empty to avoid firing by accident and ruin their surprise mission. Following the taking of the redoubt you can see the final encirclement with heavy cannon, mortar and howitzer all lined ready to fire into Cornwallis' defenses.

Looking out to the water to see where Cornwallis began to sink his own ships to prevent the French fleet entry and attack by water.

Going up to surrender hill and seeing where Cornwallis' second in command tried to surrender to Rochembeau rather than Washington as if it was too much to lose to the rebels but acceptable to lose to the French...one could almost feel the moment as the French General refused the sword and pointed to Washington.

One wonders how a man as clever as Cornwallis ever found himself in such a position to be encircled in a way he knew all too well was possible and even likely. Only adding to this irony would be the cemetary which has many men who died when the area was fought over again...by Americans during the civil war.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    One wonders how a man as clever as Cornwallis ever found himself in such a position to be encircled in a way he knew all too well was possible and even likely. Only adding to this irony would be the cemetary which has many men who died when the area was fought over again...by Americans during the civil war.

And all this time I thought Cornwallis was Mr.Hanky's son.
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Back from the dead
    Never heard of it. Who are these people?

Didn't the band play "The World Turned Upside Down?" When is the last time there was a band at a surrender ceremony.

I wonder what was going through Washington's head. I'm sure it was something like Robert Redford at the end of "The Candidate:" Now what? What were all the American troops thinking? Can we just go home now?

No Crybabies

I'm out

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Never heard of it. Who are these people?
    Too esoteric for my blood. Sorry.
    ________
    N02 VAPORIZER
    Last edited by Fixed; 05-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Big is relative

A suggestion for next week,

I think that we need to revisit the civil war. As a reading assignment, I think that everyone should read Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz and be prepared to discuss such topics as; how a re-enactor poses for a painting while pretending to be dead and bloating, and what you would do if you found out that your hometown's "rebel pride" is mistaken because your town was actually on the Union's side? Excellent book, well worth the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    as if it was too much to lose to the rebels but acceptable to lose to the French
    One would think that there would be less shame in losing to good English stock than to the French. I mean, who loses to the French?

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by tjeanloz
    One would think that there would be less shame in losing to good English stock than to the French. I mean, who loses to the French?
    If it makes you feel better Washington refused the sword as well, turning him to his subordinate General Lincoln.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Not Banned

Cinco De Mayo

well if every country had a drinking holiday for the time they whupped the French I'd be drunk most days
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering