Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

If the economy is recovering

......what is the engine that is driving it? Does it have anything to do with the current explosion, boom seems to mild a term, in the much hated oil industry? The local economy is setting new records, money is flowing like beer after a shift on the rig. If you ain't working then you ain't trying all that hard around here, they even look the other way if you smoke a little bit.

How is this effecting the big picture? Lots of equipment is being made and shipped to the oil fields. Lots of new eateries going up. Apartment buildings are going up and the mfg of camp trailers can't keep up.

How much credit are the left wing haters of "Big Oil" willing to give to the Great Satan?

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    There is no debate over the fact that America is on the cusp of an energy boom, driven by fossil fuels such as natural gas and oil.

The debate is whether this is the best way to proceed for the long term. The arguments against proceeding are both in terms of environmental damage done by the oil industry and whether such a boom will place the US in an unfavorable position in the race for green energy. China is moving forward rapidly. Their most recent 5-year plan includes subsidies for green energy.

If they reach the goal first, the US will be playing catch up on the world stage while lighting its water on fire. It's a tough decision, and one that isn't to be taken lightly. The best politicians are the ones that think 20, 30, 50 years ahead, rather than 4-5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    ...If you ain't working then you ain't trying all that hard around here, they even look the other way if you smoke a little bit.
    You are not aware of the huge productivity gains made in this country. Or dismissive. That is the engine. Now we have to get money in the hands of those who spend it--the middle class. Pass the tax cut on $250k for everyone now.

I see trees of green
    I've heard that it's House Republicans that are the lube in the engine that's driving the economic recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    You are not aware of the huge productivity gains made in this country. Or dismissive. That is the engine. Now we have to get money in the hands of those who spend it--the middle class. Pass the tax cut on $250k for everyone now.
    How can you say I'm unaware when I just mentioned the huge energy production boom. We are producing more energy which is causing mfg of supplies to boom. It's also putting a lot of money into the stagnant economy. It sure as hell isn't electric cars that is driving the surge we are now seeing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    How can you say I'm unaware when I just mentioned the huge energy production boom. We are producing more energy which is causing mfg of supplies to boom. It's also putting a lot of money into the stagnant economy. It sure as hell isn't electric cars that is driving the surge we are now seeing.
    Why are you comparing a mature technology versus an in development technology?

US oil production is growing but will peak in about 10 years. What then? Buy green technologies from China?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    Why are you comparing a mature technology versus an in development technology?

US oil production is growing but will peak in about 10 years. What then? Buy green technologies from China?
    I'm not comparing the technologies, I'm commenting on the effect both of them are having in the here and now. Those green technologies you are still trying to develope may never really come to fruition to the degree that they sustain the way of life we have. Mostly I was trying to get a greenie weenie to admit that evil old Big Oil may have some uses after all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm not comparing the technologies, I'm commenting on the effect both of them are having in the here and now. Those green technologies you are still trying to develope may never really come to fruition to the degree that they sustain the way of life we have. Mostly I was trying to get a greenie weenie to admit that evil old Big Oil may have some uses after all.
    You're not comparing technologies, you're just... not comparing technologies?

Of course oil is sustaining the world. Japan and Germany lost WW2 cuz they ran out of oil (and steel). Ukraine is beholden to Russia because Russia can turn Ukraine's gas off any time Ukraine steps out of line. We spent trillions of tax dollars in the middle east so a few of us can make billions off the oil. Heck, our dollar's value is helped by the oil trade.

With people who think like you do, no wonder we're still in 20th century think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    ......what is the engine that is driving it? Does it have anything to do with the current explosion, boom seems to mild a term, in the much hated oil industry? The local economy is setting new records, money is flowing like beer after a shift on the rig. If you ain't working then you ain't trying all that hard around here, they even look the other way if you smoke a little bit.

How is this effecting the big picture? Lots of equipment is being made and shipped to the oil fields. Lots of new eateries going up. Apartment buildings are going up and the mfg of camp trailers can't keep up.

How much credit are the left wing haters of "Big Oil" willing to give to the Great Satan?
    Yes, it is driven by the oil and natural gas explosion, which, by the way, is produced on private land and not on federal land as the food stamp president, Barry Obama, stated.

Last week I saw my broker and I have increased my stock holdings in Pembina (PBA) and Kinder Morgan (KMI). Both are oil and gas producers and transporters. Also, Conoco Phillips (COP) is a good buy at this time.

But hey, you whacko Libs. You guys can just keep driving your $40K electric car that can go all of 40 miles before coming to a stop. That's if it don't burn your house down first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    It looks like it is contributing. How much is unclear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    You're not comparing technologies, you're just... not comparing technologies?

Of course oil is sustaining the world. Japan and Germany lost WW2 cuz they ran out of oil (and steel). Ukraine is beholden to Russia because Russia can turn Ukraine's gas off any time Ukraine steps out of line. We spent trillions of tax dollars in the middle east so a few of us can make billions off the oil. Heck, our dollar's value is helped by the oil trade.

With people who think like you do, no wonder we're still in 20th century think.
    And you're still pissing and moaning the party line about the mean old oil barons. Meanwhile, it is once again driving our economy up and out of the battery powered cellar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    And you're still pissing and moaning the party line about the mean old oil barons. Meanwhile, it is once again driving our economy up and out of the battery powered cellar.
    And your only argument is comparing the profitability of a mature oil technology against an in development battery technology. You cherry pick your data just to make your point. Trolling the oil baron's party line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Meanwhile, it is once again driving our economy up and out of the battery powered cellar.
    It is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The economy is improving and has been for 3 years....you Repugs have a way to take a jab at the Dems because one of the industries that is improving is energy? I thought the Repugs have been saying for years that Obama is bad for business? I thought Snakes original post was a commercial for Obama..
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    It is?
    ??? Done told you it was.

Quote Originally Posted by hikertoo View Post
    The economy is improving and has been for 3 years....you Repugs have a way to take a jab at the Dems because one of the industries that is improving is energy? I thought the Repugs have been saying for years that Obama is bad for business? I thought Snakes original post was a commercial for Obama..
    Don't confuse them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    ??? Done told you it was.
    That settles it

It appears the old republican blue hairs want oil production to go gangbusters, since they're not going to be around the suffer the environmental fallout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wait, I thought Obama was bad for oil and hated capitalism...you people confuse me.

the economy is healing and it cannot be pinned on one single factor. sorry, Snakey, try again with your oil/gas infomercial. Would seem to me most of that oil/gas is exported anyhow. Its staying local.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    wait, I thought Obama was bad for oil and hated capitalism...you people confuse me.

the economy is healing and it cannot be pinned on one single factor. sorry, Snakey, try again with your oil/gas infomercial. Would seem to me most of that oil/gas is exported anyhow. Its staying local.
    Shut down your drilling boom and watch the wounds break open.

RoadBikeReview Member

It is!

Quote Originally Posted by hikertoo View Post
    Obama's platform included increased energy production, replacing coal with natural gas in power generation, and becoming "energy independent." He's basically worked with the companies working that WTX boom, and should get credit for it.

Show a little respect, Snake!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Obama's platform included increased energy production, replacing coal with natural gas in power generation, and becoming "energy independent." He's basically worked with the companies working that WTX boom, and should get credit for it.

Show a little respect, Snake!
    He had very little to do with this oil boom. I think Bush did it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love it when you get all poetic. Not in mood to recognize the other factors related to the recovery?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member

Wink Yeah, right.

He had very little to do with this oil boom. I think Bush did it.
    Response delayed four years, eh? Veddy interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit

no one is going to shut down anything.

as long as there's a hole full of money, people will continue to vacuum it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast