Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,433

    Innocent civilian deaths

    Aren't we supposed to do something about this? NATO? France? Somebody? How about a "no fly zone" that keeps tanks and ground troops grounded here? I see much more upside to a Syrian change of regieme than a Libyan. Git 'er done, Barry.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/...mi_ea/ml_syria

    BEIRUT Syria issued a stern warning to the nation Tuesday to stop protesting, hours after security forces opened fire with live ammunition and tear gas on hundreds of anti-government demonstrators during a pre-dawn raid that killed at least one person, witnesses said.

    The statement raised the specter of an increasingly violent crackdown on the monthlong protest movement against President Bashar Assad's authoritarian regime. The uprising is posing the most serious threat to the Assad family's ruling dynasty.

    The death toll from a security crackdown over the past four weeks has topped 200, human rights groups say.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,888
    Perhaps we as a nation should man-up and sweep our front steps before tending to other nations. Besides a child born today in the US adopts an instant $47,000 debt ... much of which is due to the US Department of Insecurity.



    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Aren't we supposed to do something about this? NATO? France? Somebody? How about a "no fly zone" that keeps tanks and ground troops grounded here? I see much more upside to a Syrian change of regieme than a Libyan. Git 'er done, Barry.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/...mi_ea/ml_syria

    BEIRUT Syria issued a stern warning to the nation Tuesday to stop protesting, hours after security forces opened fire with live ammunition and tear gas on hundreds of anti-government demonstrators during a pre-dawn raid that killed at least one person, witnesses said.

    The statement raised the specter of an increasingly violent crackdown on the monthlong protest movement against President Bashar Assad's authoritarian regime. The uprising is posing the most serious threat to the Assad family's ruling dynasty.

    The death toll from a security crackdown over the past four weeks has topped 200, human rights groups say.

  3. #3
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,585
    I thought people didn't want the US to meddle in other nations' affairs.

    We defintely stood around during the Iran uprising, with Barry sternly warning the Iranian leadership.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,433
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd
    Perhaps we as a nation should man-up and sweep our front steps before tending to other nations. Besides a child born today in the US adopts an instant $47,000 debt ... much of which is due to the US Department of Insecurity.
    All of which has jack sh!t to do with our recent policy of international responsibility to oust governments(ME) that shoot their own innocent civilians. What makes Syria less important than Libya? Is it about oil or is it our humanitarian nature that simply can't abide such goings on? Why is NATO quiet on this one? WTF?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,888
    Yep ... it pure jack **** pretending the US is the world police while the nation wallows in debt, its infrastructure crumbles, and perhaps as much as 25% of its work force is unemployed or under-employed. Your commentary is nothing more the political BS to place a party above the nation.



    QUOTE=Snakebit]All of which has jack sh!t to do with our recent policy of international responsibility to oust governments(ME) that shoot their own innocent civilians. What makes Syria less important than Libya? Is it about oil or is it our humanitarian nature that simply can't abide such goings on? Why is NATO quiet on this one? WTF?[/QUOTE]

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,433
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd
    Yep ... it pure jack **** pretending the US is the world police while the nation wallows in debt, its infrastructure crumbles, and perhaps as much as 25% of its work force is unemployed or under-employed. Your commentary is nothing more the political BS to place a party above the nation.



    QUOTE=Snakebit]All of which has jack sh!t to do with our recent policy of international responsibility to oust governments(ME) that shoot their own innocent civilians. What makes Syria less important than Libya? Is it about oil or is it our humanitarian nature that simply can't abide such goings on? Why is NATO quiet on this one? WTF?
    [/QUOTE]

    Is that what you guys were doing all through the Bush years? We are involved in Libya because the government was killing civilians, or so they say. There is no other valid reason for us to be actively involved militarily there. Syria is killing innocent civllian protesters and so did Iran. I believe there are some other countries also doing pretty much the same thing. Maybe it would help send a message if we fire some more cruise missiles at Libya? Our financial woes were much as they are today when Obama decided to venture into the Libyan civil war, were they not?

    We're in Libya because..........................well, I have no friggin idea why, do you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook