Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Daft Punk built my hotrod

Jon Stewart skewers Republican hypocrisy

This is one of Jon Stewart's best.

I hate to link to Puffington, but among the dozens of articles about nip-slips, sideboob shots, and wardrobe malfunctions, that site occasionally has a link to something interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1788870.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    The list of American cities and regions not invited to the Republican Convention is interesting.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Psst. Here's a little secret...Jon Stewart is a comedian. One should give is program as much weight as they would the Onion or, for us old folks, National Lampoon.

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Psst. Here's a little secret...Jon Stewart is a comedian. One should give is program as much weight as they would the Onion or, for us old folks, National Lampoon.
    Psst. Here's a little hint for you old folks who aren't with it... The Daily Show is a show with segments including satirical analysis of news, issues and events by Stewart (and his writers) based largely on the use of TV news video clips of real people saying real things interspersed with segments of comedic parody and spoofs by the supporting cast of the show. Typically Stewart also does semi-serious (sometimes more serious and sometimes not-so-serious) one-on-one interview segments of visiting guests of the show. The Onion creates slightly skewed parodies of reality at the cusp unreality.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Psst. Here's a little hint. The guy played clips of right-wing quotes. Those speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    The list of American cities and regions not invited to the Republican Convention is interesting.
    It's a big tent, but apparently not big enough to include California, New York, Chicago, teachers, poor people, unions, professors, lawyers, and liberals in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Psst. Here's a little hint. The guy played clips of right-wing quotes. Those speak for themselves.
    You could edit down Dems talking points and come up with the same sort of conclusion. Jon Stewart and his writers are just going after the Right (in this bit) as most of his crowd leans left.

Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post
    You could edit down Dems talking points and come up with the same sort of conclusion.
    Actually, no you couldn't. But if it makes you feel better to think that, go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually, no you couldn't. But if it makes you feel better to think that, go for it.
    Give me a budget, a slick editing machine, and clips from Ed Shultz, Rachel Maddow, Janeane Garofalo, Michael Moore, Obama, Al Gore, Howard Dean, Joe Biden (Oh Sh!t, the Mother lode there), Roseanne Bar, Bill Press, Bill Mahr, Alan Grayson, Keith Obermann, Nancy Pelosi, and I can do it.

Give me a budget, a slick editing machine, and clips from Ed Shultz, Rachel Maddow, Janeane Garofalo, Michael Moore, Obama, Al Gore, Howard Dean, Joe Biden (Oh Sh!t, the Mother lode there), Roseanne Bar, Bill Press, Bill Mahr, Alan Grayson, Keith Obermann, Nancy Pelosi, and I can do it.
    I think the right wing has plenty of budget for such an editing machine. Maybe they can do it and regurgitate it for right-wing mass consumption.

Of course, none of the above have blamed unions, teachers, CA, NY, Chicago, etc. for the US' problems. They've blamed the right-wing idiots. And they're right.

But anyway, maybe you can convince the Koch brothers to fund your little project.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the right wing has plenty of budget for such an editing machine. Maybe they can do it and regurgitate it for right-wing mass consumption.

Of course, none of the above have blamed unions, teachers, CA, NY, Chicago, etc. for the US' problems. They've blamed the right-wing idiots. And they're right.

But anyway, maybe you can convince the Koch brothers to fund your little project.
    Unions, Teachers, CA, NY, Chicago, they are all perfect people that never do anything wrong??

Well, that clip that Jon was playing, if you hear their whole argument, there were blaming a lot of left wing (progressive) arrogant elitist, and they are right.

I'm sure George Soros has plenty of money to continue with more Progressive propaganda.

Both sides do it, they're both guilty of it.

Both sides do it, they're both guilty of it.
    Then you should have no problem finding Democrats attacking teachers, unions, CA, NY, Chicago, poor people, etc.

Like I said, if thinking that, makes you feel better, that's your deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Then you should have no problem finding Democrats attacking teachers, unions, CA, NY, Chicago, poor people, etc.

Like I said, if thinking that, makes you feel better, that's your deal.

You don't have Republicans attacking, bankers, executives, Texas, South Carolina, and Orange County CA.

What's the point?

Are teacher, unions, CA, NY, Chicago, somehow better people, than bankers, executives, Texas, South Carolina and OC?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    You don't have Republicans attacking, bankers, executives, Texas, South Carolina, and Orange County CA.

What's the point?

Are teacher, unions, CA, NY, Chicago, somehow better people, than bankers, executives, Texas, South Carolina and OC?
    I have to admit the first group is more my kind of people.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    You could edit down Dems talking points and come up with the same sort of conclusion. Jon Stewart and his writers are just going after the Right (in this bit) as most of his crowd leans left.
    And he and his crew skewered the Democrats for their convention speaker choices. Stewart is equal opportunity when it comes to is sources.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

What's the point?

Are teacher, unions, ....somehow better people, than bankers, executives....?
    I'll just let your post speak for itself.

Republicans: attacking unions, teachers, professors but defending bankers and executives.
    Good argument there.

banned
    Apr 2012

I hate to link to Puffington, but among the dozens of articles about nip-slips, sideboob shots, and wardrobe malfunctions, that site occasionally has a link to something interesting.

Jon Stewart Blasts Republicans For Divisive Hypocrisy (VIDEO)
    Wonder when he'll skewer himself?

without the Puff Host click-through..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll just let your post speak for itself.

Republicans: attacking unions, teachers, professors but defending bankers and executives.
    Good argument there.
    Again, I'll ask you, what is wrong with bankers and executives?

There aren't people as well? They are not your neighboors? Your riding buddies? They don't provide a real service? Why is ok to protect unions, teachers and professors but not bankers, traders, executives, entrepreneurs?

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Again, I'll ask you, what is wrong with bankers and executives?

There aren't people as well? They are not your neighboors? Your riding buddies? They don't provide a real service? Why is ok to protect unions, teachers and professors but not bankers, traders, executives, entrepreneurs?
    Probably because most corporate executives people think of are out to screw people. Take for example our fine bank CEOs, who cried "The Sky is Falling!" for a hundreds-of-billions-of-dollar bailout...got one...and then used it to give a raise to every white-collar involved in our recent derivatives market collapse, including the CEOs themselves who designed it. CEOs and corporations are easy targets, given the desire to horde cash and make sure wages for their workers have remained stagnant for decades in times or record profits.

Unions, professors, and teachers are seldom out to screw people as much as CEOs. IMHO.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

banned
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Probably because most corporate executives people think of are out to screw people. Take for example our fine bank CEOs, who cried "The Sky is Falling!" for a hundreds-of-billions-of-dollar bailout...got one...and then used it to give a raise to every white-collar involved in our recent derivatives market collapse, including the CEOs themselves who designed it. CEOs and corporations are easy targets, given the desire to horde cash and make sure wages for their workers have remained stagnant for decades in times or record profits.

Unions, professors, and teachers are seldom out to screw people as much as CEOs. IMHO.
    I believe that is often known as capital reinvestment. Not sure I can think of many companies that survive for very long by paying out all their profits not caring what they might have to do in the future to survive. After all, they don't have the endless spring (lol) of tax payer dollars like public unions do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

I understand your point.

Let me take a jab, It's easy to see what a teacher does, teach, it's easy to see what a fireman does. But running a company is not easy, there are a lot of decisions that have to made at the highest level that affect a lot of people. And unless you see all the info they have when making these decisions, its easy to second guess. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback.

Bail outs, do we blame the CEO that takes the bailout, or the politican that was paid off at campaign time that gave them our tax money?

As for sitting on money? It's not that a lot of companies are sitting on cash, it's more they are not expanding and spending. They are not growing because, and I know this going to open up a can of worms, but with both Obamacare and Dodd Frank, these companies are not sure how these new laws are going to play out. They are all sitting around wait to see who moves first and see what's happen, both from a financial stand point and legal.

Wave, dammit!
    Of course both sides have their comedians.

Democrats have Jon Stewart
    Republicans have Rush Limbaugh

Oh, Republicans take Rush seriously. Wait. What?
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Of course both sides have their comedians.

Democrats have Jon Stewart
    Republicans have Rush Limbaugh

Oh, Republicans take Rush seriously. Wait. What?
    Democrats seem to put a lot of stock in Jon Stewart's political wisdom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast