Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jaded bitter joy crusher

Is it just fine for the Roots to call Michele Bachmann a Lyin' Ass B1tch?

Fair's fair. Is this fair?
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    This thread should be a poll about "whether it's Ok to disrespectfully call a woman a b#$%h?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    There's not even a hint of sexism in that quote--you know--if you're talking about a female who doesn't know here rightful place in the party of victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    That's different.........

That's disrespectful.

Banned forever.....or not
    That's different.........

That's disrespectful.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
    but has she stopped beating her wife yet?
    nttawwt

Ricardo Cabeza
    but has she stopped beating her wife yet?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    That was dickish and disrespectful. And I say that as someone who thinks the roots covering fishbone is about the most awesome thing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Very funny, I'd say!

I found out about it listening to, gasp!--Rush Limbaugh! He was "quite rightly outraged" at these arrogant liberal elitists making fun of poor Michelle Bachmann And it went right over her head! The nerve! Inside joke,

But really, is this not harmless compared to the out and out misinformation in the recent Romney TV spot, in which Obama is seen saying, "“If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose?” What's left out is the fact that Obama was quoting John McCain, who actually said that during his campaign against Obama. Romney's adviser lamely rationalizes the lie. “We used that quote intentionally to show that President Obama is doing exactly what he criticized McCain of doing four years ago. Obama doesn't want to talk about the economy because of his failed record.”

Mitt Romney airs misleading anti-Obama campaign ad in New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo

if you're talking about a female who doesn't know here rightful place in the party of victims.

she knows her place!

Michele Bachmann Pours Water For Men At GOP Primary Forum In Iowa - The Huffington Post

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    She ain't uppity.

Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke View Post
    The band represents the show as well as the host. She's invited as a guest to the show. It's not fine. They knew there was little chance she'd know the song, so it was underhanded in addition to being sexist. classless and mean spirited.
    Last edited by Jesse D Smith; 11-23-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

If he wasn't aware of what they were going to do, I'd suspect he might want to fire the band. I typically like the roots, but this was pretty distasteful. It doesn't reflect well on him and it is HIS show. I imagine that all future music will need to be pre-approved.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    But he answer to the OP is, the song choice was totally unacceptable and whoever made it should be busted. I woudn't tolerate it if it were my show.

gazing from the shadows
    It was fine, meaning finely done. Artists should be provocative, this provoked.

And it would be perfectly acceptable for "the man" to fire them for doing so. Because while it was provocative, it was also sexist and completely rude (to do to a guest, guests should be treated as guests, not targets).
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    I never watch the show, but maybe she was not going to acknowledge the a**holes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Do we know she's a liar? Well she said the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation, which it doesn't. She claims she hasn't had a gaffe. At least one of these must be a lie.

Is it accurate (not appropriate) to describe her as a b1tch, "a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman." ?
    Well, is telling a lie that can scare people away from a potentially life saving vaccination in an attempt to score political points malicious and selfish? I'd say so.
    She calls anyone in Congress who doesn't see things her way "anti-America", would you call that unpleasant? I would.

Does she deserve more respect then the Roots showed her? Well how did she feel about Joe Wilson blurting out "You Lie!" during Obama's televised address to a joint session of congress? Well she said he spoke the truth. She didn't call for him to be fired, she said "thank god for Joe Wilson" "he's the sweetest, most mild mannered, loving guy you've ever seen and he's got a big heart" "Joe didn't back down from his assertion because Joe was right"

So was it disrespectful? Yes it was.

Might she have earned a bit of scorn? I think so.

Should we expect better from a hip hop band on an irreverent late night comedy show? It's not like The Roots have ever tried passing themselves off as arbiters of moral behavior, respect for women and civil decorum. Anyone remember their song "The Seed (2.0)"?

I don't ask, for much these days
    And I don't *****, and whine, if I don't get my way
    I only wanna fertilize another behind my lover's back
    I sit and watch it grow standin' where I'm at
    Fertilize another behind my lover's back
    And I'm keepin' my secrets mine

I push my seed in her bush for life
    It's gonna work because I'm pushin' it right
    If Mary dropped my baby girl tonight
    I would name her Rock'N'Roll

I'm reminded of the story of the farmer and the viper, "You knew I was a snake before you picked me up".

Always changing.....
    This was her recent response:

UPDATE: Bachmann responded this morning on Fox News Channel’s America’s Newsroom, saying, “I don’t have anything against Jimmy Fallon. I love him, he’s a kick. It was a great opportunity to be on the show. I’d love to go back again. But I think the point is, if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him. None of that happened from NBC. And this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite, but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8 View Post
    This was her recent response:

UPDATE: Bachmann responded this morning on Fox News Channel’s America’s Newsroom, saying, “I don’t have anything against Jimmy Fallon. I love him, he’s a kick. It was a great opportunity to be on the show. I’d love to go back again. But I think the point is, if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him. None of that happened from NBC. And this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite, but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.”
    She thinks NBC would have done something if it was Michelle Obama, and that shows sexism? That stupid lyin' ass b1tch!

RoadBikeReview Member

hahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8 View Post
    I think the point is, if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him. None of that happened from NBC. And this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite, but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.”
    That's because Obama is a sweet, intelligent lady who stands by her man and raises a family, while Bachmann's way over her head running for president, while her questionably fruity husband is running a clinic to cure homosexuality. I stand by the band, especially if it was a spontaneous choice of their own.

I think we're getting into "politically correct" territory here. It was a joke by a band with no words and Bachmann didn't get it. Big deal. Have to wonder how the politically correct nannies would react to Archie Bunker in this humorless political climate.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 11-23-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Yo no fui.
    In the end, it seems like an inconsequential winner for everyone: Bachman gets media exposure and gets to blame the media; Fallon gets press and a bit of an edge to his show, and the Roots played to their fans.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    That's because Obama is a sweet, intelligent lady who stands by her man and raises a family, while Bachmann's way over her head running for president, while her questionably fruity husband is running a clinic to cure homosexuality. I stand by the band, especially if it was a spontaneous choice of their own.

I think we're getting into "politically correct" territory here. It was a joke by a band with no words and Bachmann didn't get it. Big deal.
    Cliffnotes:

1) Michelle is "uppity"

2) You want Bachman to divorce her husband because..

3) You think he's gay.

4) You're cool with disrespecting women if you can get away with it.

Did I miss anything?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Cliffnotes:

1) Michelle is "uppity"

2) You want Bachman to divorce her husband because..

3) You think he's gay.

4) You're cool with disrespecting women if you can get away with it.

Did I miss anything?
    Yes. The complex, outrageous, politically incorrect properties of humor.

The conclusions you draw are your own, not mine or others. For example 2). She wants to reverse roles and control her husband because he's playing along with it acting fruity, to borrow a great word from another humorist!

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I think we're getting into "politically correct" territory here.
    What if Obama or another black politician came onto a conservative talk radio show and the show's producer lpayed an instrumental version of a white supremacist song, or if a gay activist came onto a similar show and an anti-homosexual ICP song was played? Would that still be ok for you?
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    What if Obama or another black politician came onto a conservative talk radio show and the show's producer lpayed an instrumental version of a white supremacist song, or if a gay activist came onto a similar show and an anti-homosexual ICP song was played? Would that still be ok for you?
    So you're saying calling one person a derogatory term because of their actions (in the case of this song, a girl who cheated on her guy) is the same as denigrating an entire group based on the way they were born?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast