Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eminence grease

Komen does a 360

Funding for PP restored.

Pressure and bad press work I guess.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Low rep power
    Umm- did you mean 180? I guess it's true what they say about retirement

But as to the content, absolutely- it was a stupid move in the first place, and the potential financial repercussions would have been significant (they still might be- hard to call at this point).
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    Funding for PP restored.

Yep.

So does pointing out what it would mean to them to actually enforce that policy. Bank of America is under investigation, for example, do the cut all ties with BoA? Pull accounts? Not let them sponsor events? Were they really willing to put their ties and finances in risk from every politician, everywhere, who on a whim decides to hold "hearings"?

Good luck in their future fund raising efforts, they will need that luck. Because lots and lots of people won't be giving any time soon, or ever again.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    Umm- did you mean 180? I guess it's true what they say about retirement

If they were at Point A yesterday, went to Point B and then went back to Point A, how is that a 180?

Maybe you need some more coffee?

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yep.

So does pointing out what it would mean to them to actually enforce that policy. Bank of America is under investigation, for example, do the cut all ties with BoA? Pull accounts? Not let them sponsor events? Were they really willing to put their ties and finances in risk from every politician, everywhere, who on a whim decides to hold "hearings"?

Good luck in their future fund raising efforts, they will need that luck. Because lots and lots of people won't be giving any time soon, or ever again.
    It didn't help when someone pointed out that they were continuing to fund cancer research Penn State which is of course under a more serious investigation.

I hope they can recover their good brand, it got fire blasted so quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    This is why I do not support SGK.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just saw that and was going to post it. You're quick.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Ends up being a win win for planned parenthood...provided Mayor Bloomberg still intends to give his 250,000 plus match the next 250,000 in donations at a dollar for a dollar.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    This is why I do not support SGK.
    Yeah. I don't like sgk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    come race day, I hope women will remember all this...and still take their money and time elsewhere.

n00bsauce
    If they were at Point A yesterday, went to Point B and then went back to Point A, how is that a 180?

Maybe you need some more coffee?
    Depends on what you call point A. Point A yesterday was no money for PP. If you do a 360 from there it's still no money for PP.

Nonetheless, I couldn't figure out their "no money for organizations under investigation" policy. You mean you let others make your decisions for you? That's effectively what you do if you follow that policy. Do a little critical evaluation before blindly applying such a policy. Anyone can see the congressional investigation is politically motivated.

Curious how the new policy gets put in place after Handel is hired as VP. Bad move (hiring Handel) by SGK. My wife and I both decided no more money for SGK.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    So do all the people who upped donations to SBK after the announcement to quit funding PPH, do they now get their money back because of the 180?

Personally, make a decision and stick to it, it would old news in 2-3 days.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Funding for PP restored.

Now the right-to-lifers will see if they can turn this into a 540.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

off the back
    Even bigger pu$$ies than I originally thought.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Even bigger pu$$ies than I originally thought.
    Really cla$$y comment!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Funding for PP restored.

Bank of America, Verizon, and others have to wake up and smell the social media coffee. Major policy changes can no longer be dropped on the public quietly. Masses of people can organize boycotts, protests, and quickly affect the bottom line. Works the same for private businesses and entire countries.
    Last edited by Jesse D Smith; 02-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

Avid indoorsman
    I hope they can recover their good brand, it got fire blasted so quickly.
    I am beginning to question the quality of the SGK brand. I think that we need to look carefully at the ratio of donations to the SGK to the amount of money that actually gets channeled to the good causes as well as the payments to top-level execs at the foundation. The same needs to be done at other charities. Don't get me wrong, I am all pro-charities but they need oversight and regulations.

I think the SGK brand is tarnished for good and I will for certain, make sure my charity dollars go somewhere else in the future.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    -- Groucho Marx

Banned forever.....or not
    Brinker and Handel must go.

The AP reported that a source with direct knowledge of decision-making at Komen's headquarters said the grant-making criteria were adopted with the deliberate intention of targeting Planned Parenthood. The criteria's impact on Planned Parenthood and its status as the focus of government investigations were highlighted in a memo distributed to Komen affiliates in December.

According to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of repercussions, a driving force behind the move was Karen Handel, who was hired by Komen last year as vice president for public policy after losing a campaign for governor in Georgia in which she stressed her anti-abortion views and frequently denounced Planned Parenthood.
    Brinker, in an interview with MSNBC, said Handel didn't have a significant role in the policy change.
    In her statement, Brinker said she hoped both groups could move past the fiery controversy.

PS
    An internal Komen memo written by President Elizabeth Thompson and obtained by Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic states that if "an applicant or its affiliates" is under investigation "for financial or administrative improprieties by local, state or federal authorities," then "the applicant will be ineligible to receive a grant." Penn State, the Pennsylvania university that the Hershey center is affiliated with, is currently under investigation by the federal government over the sexual assault scandal involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, who has been indicted on multiple counts of sexual abuse of children. In 2008, the Komen foundation awarded a five-year, $7.5 million grant to the Hershey center to study treatments that could reduce the risk of breast cancer.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    come race day, I hope women will remember all this...and still take their money and time elsewhere.

I think we will. The damage, IMHO, is irreparable... the only question is how deep and with what permanent impact. Many folks apparently already knew a bunch of SGK dirty laundry; I confess I did not. But this is, in the words of Joe Biden, a "big effin' deal." :0
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurious Oranj View Post
    I am beginning to question the quality of the SGK brand. I think that we need to look carefully at the ratio of donations to the SGK to the amount of money that actually gets channeled to the good causes as well as the payments to top-level execs at the foundation. The same needs to be done at other charities. Don't get me wrong, I am all pro-charities but they need oversight and regulations.

I think the SGK brand is tarnished for good and I will for certain, make sure my charity dollars go somewhere else in the future.
    I agree.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Brinker and Handel must go.

Yabbut Brinker is SG Komen's sister.

An interesting tidbit: she was ambassador to Hungary from 2001-2003 under GWB's administration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Handel must go.
    Indeed.

"Handel, a former Georgia secretary of state, was a Republican gubernatorial candidate in Georgia in 2010, losing to current Gov. Nathan Deal in a primary runoff. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was a Handel supporter.

"'Let me be clear, since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood,' Handel wrote on her campaign website in 2010.

"'Tea Party politicians like Karen Handel shouldn't get to play politics with women's right to health care,' said Becky Bond, political director of CREDO Action, in a written statement. 'Her damaging actions at the Susan G. Komen Foundation show that in the real world -- unlike in Congress -- when you threaten Planned Parenthood clinics, you will face massive and immediate pushback.'"

Komen Foundation VP resigns after funding controversy - CNN.com
    "We know where [Iraq's WMDs] are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat."—Donald Rumsfeld

Not Banned

I guess they found out

that "90% of their money goes to abortions" was, as the PR spin goes, 'not meant to be factual'
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast