Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Pencil of death
    Reputation: Bluenote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,013

    Marathon Bomber Charged

    The Boston Marathon Bomber has been charged. He will be tried in Federal Court and will possibly face the death penalty.

    White House: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, bombing suspect, to be tried in federal court - Boston.com

    How do you feel about this?

    Personally, I think this is a good development. I didn't want to see a US citizen tried by a military tribunal as an enemy combatant.

    I think it's important that he has the presumption of innocence, gets a fair trial and all that.

    I've never been terrible comfortable with the death penalty. Murder / attempted murder of a lot of people are one if the few circumstances where I'd consider it.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

    "I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

    "1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

    "Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    The Boston Marathon Bomber has been charged. He will be tried in Federal Court and will possibly face the death penalty.

    White House: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, bombing suspect, to be tried in federal court - Boston.com

    How do you feel about this?

    Personally, I think this is a good development. I didn't want to see a US citizen tried by a military tribunal as an enemy combatant.

    I think it's important that he has the presumption of innocence, gets a fair trial and all that.

    I've never been terrible comfortable with the death penalty. Murder / attempted murder of a lot of people are one if the few circumstances where I'd consider it.
    he's a young guy, he was heavily influenced by the brother, its sad all around, im not a big fan of the death penalty, etc. all this is pretty much true. but this dood

    they should fry his a55.

    if he hesitates in cooperating i say FULL STEAM AHEAD. do not pass go, do NOT collect two hundred dollars. straight to the needle and be done with it

  3. #3
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,956
    The Government made the right decision. Although I think that the Government could have made an argument under Ex parte Quirin, 317 U.S. 1 (1942), a Supreme Court case approving the use of a military tribunal to try German saboteurs, including a naturalized United States citizen, who landed on Long Island, trying Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in a United States District Court avoids the constitutional issue of whether he could be tried by a military tribunal. Given the evidence against Tsarnaev, there is no reason to resort to an alternative tribunal. Among the reasons that the Government has favored military tribunals for enemy combatants are lowered standards of evidence and proof and the fact that a trial in federal court may require that the Government reveal confidential or sensitive information that it would rather not reveal in a public forum. These reasons do not apply here.

    Insofar as the death penalty is concerned, if it is going to be on the books, this is a good example of a case in which it would be appropriate for the Government to seek it.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  4. #4
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,589
    he should sizzle just like Timothy McVeigh and Janet Reno did for their acts of terror.

    oh wait, that's right, I keep forgetting it's not terrorism when the government does it.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  5. #5
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,589
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Given the evidence against Tsarnaev, there is no reason to resort to an alternative tribunal.
    Right, we need to reserve the alternative tribunals for when we KNOW they're guilty but we don't have enough evidence to convict them
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,298
    Among the reasons that the Government has favored military tribunals for enemy combatants are lowered standards of evidence and proof and the fact that a trial in federal court may require that the Government reveal confidential or sensitive information that it would rather not reveal in a public forum.
    For instance, it might reveal that the FBI was informed about the older brother's radicalization 2 years ago, checked him out, and said "No problem."

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    The Boston Marathon Bomber has been charged. He will be tried in Federal Court and will possibly face the death penalty.

    White House: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, bombing suspect, to be tried in federal court - Boston.com

    How do you feel about this?

    Personally, I think this is a good development. I didn't want to see a US citizen tried by a military tribunal as an enemy combatant.

    I think it's important that he has the presumption of innocence, gets a fair trial and all that.

    I've never been terrible comfortable with the death penalty. Murder / attempted murder of a lot of people are one if the few circumstances where I'd consider it.
    Its more then important, but critical for the USA to have his trial based on that presumption of innocence for international/diplomatic reasons. The Bush/Cheney torture crime wave needs to be mitigated ASAP and this case could provide a fresh start.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

    John Kenneth Galbraith

  8. #8
    Pencil of death
    Reputation: Bluenote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    For instance, it might reveal that the FBI was informed about the older brother's radicalization 2 years ago, checked him out, and said "No problem."
    Yes, a Military Tribunal would be a great way to cover that up.

    But this time, the FBI went with the super sneaky tactic of.... Acknowledging it in a press release posted on their website.

    When questioned, they got that deer-in-headlights look and said 'oh carp, we miffed the investigation and the cover up? Can we go best of 5?'
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

    "I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

    "1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

    "Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

  9. #9
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467
    I'm a fan of hanging (almost to the point of death), emasculation, disembowelling, and being quartered.


    Go ahead, call me a softie.
    .
    .
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  10. #10
    Iohannes fac totum
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Is death by "bronze bull" still on the table?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    Yes, a Military Tribunal would be a great way to cover that up.

    But this time, the FBI went with the super sneaky tactic of.... Acknowledging it in a press release posted on their website.

    When questioned, they got that deer-in-headlights look and said 'oh carp, we miffed the investigation and the cover up? Can we go best of 5?'

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,298
    In Mr. Tsarnaev’s case, the Russian government expressed fear that he could be a risk “based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups,” the F.B.I. said in a statement.
    Why no follow up after his return from Chechnya and Dagestan? Sorry, that's classified.
    Senior F.B.I. and intelligence officials will be forced to explain to the Senate Intelligence Committee in a classified briefing on Tuesday the steps they took — and did not take — before and after Mr. Tsarnaev returned last July from a six-month trip to Chechnya and Dagestan, predominantly Muslim republics in the North Caucasus region of Russia.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/us...naev.html?_r=0

  13. #13
    I see trees of green
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    he should sizzle just like Timothy McVeigh and Janet Reno did for their acts of terror.

    oh wait, that's right, I keep forgetting it's not terrorism when the government does it.


    277 Million Boston Bombings
    By Robert Scheer


    The horror of Boston should be a reminder that the choice of weaponry can be in itself an act of evil. “Boston Bombs Were Loaded to Maim” is the way The New York Times defined the hideousness of the weapons used, and President Obama made clear that “anytime bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror.” But are we as a society prepared to be judged by that standard?
    BLU-3 Pineapple


  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,298
    Yes, but the target then was just Vietnamese; the target this time was recreating yuppies.

  15. #15
    I see trees of green
    Reputation: TerminatorX91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    Yes, but the target then was just Vietnamese; the target this time was recreating yuppies.
    I had no idea "Hanoi Jane" Fonda ran in the Boston Marathon.

Similar Threads

  1. marathon extreme vs. marathon dureme for DK
    By andy13 in forum Endurance Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  2. Lockerbie bomber freed
    By ridenfish39 in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
  3. Bicycle Bomber
    By jdolan2 in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
  4. Bicycle Bomber!
    By konadude in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook