Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned forever.....or not

McCain: He can spot the "Good Guys"

Senator John McCain confident of identifying 'good guys' in Syria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senator John McCain said on Wednesday, two days after meeting with rebels in Syria, that he is confident the United States can send weapons to fighters in Syria without the risk they will fall into the wrong hands.

"We can identify who these people are. We can help the right people," McCain said on CNN's program "Anderson Cooper 360."

McCain, a Republican, is an outspoken advocate for U.S. military aid to the rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and has angrily denounced Democratic President Barack Obama - McCain's opponent in his failed 2008 presidential race - for shying away from deeper U.S. involvement in the conflict, which has claimed 80,000 lives.

Critics of some lawmakers' push to arm the rebels have expressed concerns that weapons could end up in the hands of militants who might eventually end up using them against the United States or its allies.

Senator John McCain confident of identifying 'good guys' in Syria

Could you spot them in Afghanistan, John???????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Moderatus Puisne
    So -- do you think we ought to just let the various Syrian factions fight it out?

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Remember when McCain said "We're all Georgians now" during that brief spat between Russia and Georgia (not the Bulldogs).

McCain is an old doofus. That nitwit was going to get us in a conflict in Eastern Europe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    So -- do you think we ought to just let the various Syrian factions fight it out?
    Our infrastructure is falling apart and we're out there being the world police?

We cannot keep rushing to every conflict. It's just unaffordable.

Moderatus Puisne
    Without running a complicated analysis, I think we'd be able to afford to make a difference. Our infrastructure crumbling hasn't killed 100,000 people the last few years.

Just bill Israel? They'll appreciate the stability...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    McCain is an old doofus. That nitwit was going to get us in a conflict in Eastern Europe too.
    When the only tool you own is a hammer.... every problem begins to look like a nail. But... on the other hand war does at times produce solutions. McCain knows better than most (if you know his history) of the sacrifices made by American troops to save others lives. I don't agree with McCain on this one... but that doesn't mean he's wrong ether.

We cannot keep rushing to every conflict. It's just unaffordable.
    Well... actually the old saying: "a stich in time saves nine" might apply here. The old pie chart that showed defense taking up most of the budget.... is from decades ago. Even the recent wars that lasted a decade... weren't high priced... compared to NOT fighting.

Think of it as the city you live in saving huge amounts of revenue... by not allowing the fire department to fight fires. Whereas there would be a marked saving to the cities budget.... in the long run the cost to the tax payers would be greatly increased.

What should be the only thing considered is national interest.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Without running a complicated analysis, I think we'd be able to afford to make a difference. Our infrastructure crumbling hasn't killed 100,000 people the last few years.

Just bill Israel? They'll appreciate the stability...
    How can we bill Israel? Their country is so destitute we already must support them with:
    To date, the United States has provided Israel $115 billion in bilateral assistance. It is currently the second largest recipient of aid worldwide, with Afghanistan now first.
    The fiscal year 2013 budget request “includes $3.1 billion in Foreign Military Financing [FMF] for Israel and $15 million for refugee resettlement. Within the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Missile Defense Agency’s FY2013 budget request includes $99.8 million in joint U.S.-Israeli co-development for missile defense.”

“The United States has helped defray the cost of Israel’s domestically-developed short-range anti-rocket system, dubbed ‘Iron Dome.’ Iron Dome is designed to intercept very short-range threats between 2.5 and 45 miles in all weather situations…. It was developed by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. Development of Iron Dome began in February 2007. In response to Palestinian rocket attacks from Gaza, Israel deployed Iron Dome batteries for the first time in April, August, and October 2011 to protect the cities of Ashdod, Beersheba, and Ashkelon. Each battery costs approximately $50 million….”

“The Iron Dome system is not designed to protect against very short range projectiles due to their abbreviated flight times, leaving towns in the immediate vicinity of the Gaza border — such as Sderot (estimated population: 21,000) — more vulnerable. The Israeli military plans to deploy nine Iron Dome batteries across the country by 2013. It believes it requires a total of between 10-15 batteries to adequately protect most urban areas. Israel is reportedly considering exporting the system to customers in Asia (such as South Korea, Singapore, and India) in order to recoup Iron Dome’s cost.”

“In August 2008, Israel and the United States officially signed a ‘project agreement’ to co-develop the David’s Sling system. David’s Sling (aka Magic Wand) is a short/medium-range system designed to counter long-range rockets and slower-flying cruise missiles fired at ranges from 40 km to 300 km, such as those possessed by Hezbollah in Lebanon, as well as by Syria and Iran…. It is being jointly developed by Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and U.S.-based Raytheon. David’s Sling uses Raytheon’s Stunner missile for interception, and each launcher can hold up to 16 missiles. The system is expected to be operational by the end of 2012.”

In January 2013, if the provisions in the Budget Control Act of 2011 hold and 8.5% of most discretionary spending is cut, the annual aid to Israel, if not exempted, would be reduced by roughly $263.5 million.
    In 2007, the Bush Administration signed a 10-year, $30 billion military aid package that raises Israel’s annual FMF grant from $2.55 billion to $3.1 billion.

“The United States and Israel announced in 2010 that Israel will purchase 19 F-35s, the fifth generation stealth aircraft considered to be the most technologically advanced fighter jet ever made, at a cost of $2.75 billion. They will be paid for entirely using FMF grants…. As part of the F-35 deal, the United States agreed to make reciprocal purchases of equipment from Israel’s defense industries estimated at $4 billion.”
    In 2012 Israel’s portion of the total FMF account of the U.S. was 60%. Sixteen separate annual FMF grants to Israel represent 18-22% of the overall Israeli defense budget.

The value of the U.S. materiel stored in Israel increased to $800 million in 2010 and is expected to rise to $1.2 billion. By agreement, Israel may ask for permission to use these arms and equipment, and the country drew on these reserves in its 2006 conflict with Hezbollah.
    http://journalistsresource.org/wp-co...-to-Israel.pdf

Pencil of death
    Oct 2012
    Approach Russia, a Syrian ally and see if Russia can broker a truce / roadmap to a new Syria. Use the usual economic sanctions vs. aid carrot and stick.

Honestly, we are limited in what we can do.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Ignore List: AM999

RoadBikeReview Member
    Russia is hooking Assad up to wage air warfare against the rebels without fear of future no-fly zone enforcement. They want the rebels beaten so they don't inspire Chechen separatists.
    Assad says Syria received first S-300 shipment | JPost | Israel News
    Syria received the first shipment of long-range S-300 anti-aircraft missiles from Russia, and would receive the rest "soon," Syrian President Bashar Assad told Lebanese network Al Manar, Lebanese newspaper al-Akhbar reported.

In an interview set to air on the Hezbollah TV network on Thursday evening, Assad repeated past threats to respond immediately should Israel strike in Syria.

Banned forever.....or not

You got it..........
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Moderatus Puisne
    That was sort of the joke -- we provide Israel with a lot of assistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    How can we bill Israel? Their country is so destitute we already must support them with:

http://journalistsresource.org/wp-co...-to-Israel.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Remember when McCain said "We're all Georgians now" during that brief spat between Russia and Georgia (not the Bulldogs).

I think what a Pol says on an issue may be 180 degrees from a Presidential decision he might make once in office. I'm surprised the left doesn't understand that.

Pencil of death
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    Russia is hooking Assad up to wage air warfare against the rebels without fear of future no-fly zone enforcement. They want the rebels beaten so they don't inspire Chechen separatists.
    Assad says Syria received first S-300 shipment | JPost | Israel News
    Russia could be convinced that a truce / peace negotiations would also be in Russia's interest. Perhaps even pointing out how US policy if arming sides in civil wars repeatedly back fired...
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Ignore List: AM999

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I think what a Pol says on an issue may be 180 degrees from a Presidential decision he might make once in office. I'm surprised the left doesn't understand that.
    Then why the right-wing fascination with Obama's past?
    Ayers and Wright and school in Indonesia? That's fair game for right wingers.
    Calling McCain out for trying to get the US involved in Georgia v. Russia because he's getting $$ from the Georgians, well, that just ain't fair!

If political gymnastics were an Olympic sport, the Republicans would be sitting on a gold mine.
    Last edited by PaxRomana; 05-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Not Banned
    cause history has shown we do real good at this
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Calling McCain out for trying to get the US involved in Georgia v. Russia because he's getting $$ from the Georgians, well, that just ain't fair!

If political gymnastics were an Olympic sport, the Republicans would be sitting on a gold mine.
    I never said it was wrong for you to "call him out" if you so desire. We seemed to be using these statements to prove he was unfit to be President and I just reminded you that we can always hope for change if they get elected.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That was sort of the joke -- we provide Israel with a lot of assistance...
    My bad- I'm a very literal person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    McCain was in office- the office of US Senator from Arizona. Or should I roll my eyes every time an influential senior senator or congressman says anything?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never said it was wrong for you to "call him out" if you so desire. We seemed to be using these statements to prove he was unfit to be President and I just reminded you that we can always hope for change if they get elected.
    Not wrong, just eye-rollingly stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's fair game because it speaks to Obama's character, his loyalty, and his judgement. Hanging out with Muslims, leftist radical preachers, and SDS bombers doesn't look good on your CV when the job is Most Powerful Human on Earth.

off the back
    Yep, he can spot the good ones. Like back in 2009, when he tweeted.

Late evening with Col. Qadhafi at his "ranch" in Libya - interesting meeting with an interesting man.
    Funny how quickly the "good guys" become the "bad guys". From 2011

Qaddafi on his way out, Bashar al Assad is next.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

John McCain can spot the good guys. Unfortunately, they're invisible when he's looking in the mirror.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yep, he can spot the good ones. Like back in 2009, when he tweeted.

Funny how quickly the "good guys" become the "bad guys". From 2011

Why do you find John McCain's powers so hard to accept? It's a pretty common Republican skill, really. Don't you remember when George Bush looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes, and saw his soul?

Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Why do you find John McCain's powers so hard to accept? It's a pretty common Republican skill, really. Don't you remember when George Bush looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes, and saw his soul?

Easy peasy.
    Bruyneel did that with Basso too. Worked about as well as it did for Dubya.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    He can spot the goodguys. Does that mean he can't spot kidnappers? Or are kidnappers goodguys?

U.S. senator McCain pictured with Syrian rebel kidnapper: paper
    U.S. Senator John McCain was photographed during a trip to Syria with a man implicated in the kidnapping by Syrian rebels of 11 Lebanese Shi'ite pilgrims a year ago, a Lebanese newspaper said on Thursday.

McCain, a Republican, has been an outspoken advocate for U.S. military aid to the rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad and made a short, highly publicised trip to meet rebel commanders in Syria three days ago.

He has insisted that the United States could locate the "right people" to help among rebel ranks infiltrated with radicalised Islamists.

However, he may have crossed paths with men linked to a group notorious in the region for kidnapping the pilgrims, the Daily Star said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast